Classifieds Advertise Archive Subscriptions Family Announcements Photos Digital Editions/Apps
Connect with us

News

Revamped Galway Bay Golf Resort to soar like an eagle!

Published

on

Work is set to being on a €1 million refurbishment of the clubhouse at Galway Bay Golf Resort in Rinville, Oranmore, next month following the completion of the tender process.

Speaking at announcement that the club is set to return to the Irish PGA circuit with the Galway Bay Pro-Am on September 18, Club Director Ronan Killeen said the tender process had closed and he was in the process of evaluating the tenders, with the view to having workers on the ground in September.

Speaking at the club last week, the general manager of the resort, Martin Daly, said that plans for the refurbishment project had been drawn up by Cyril Kelly Architects, and the proposal is to not just re-open the clubhouse, which has been closed for a number of years, but to develop it as a top-class event facility.

“The plans drawn up by Cyril Kelly Architects are fantastic, and when it is finished it will be a fantastic facility. It will be a wonderful clubhouse, but it is to be a venue, not just a clubhouse – the aim is to get back as the number 1 wedding destination in Galway.

“We’ll have a top-class 110-seater restaurant – the restaurant was hugely popular for events such as weddings birthdays and graduations some years back, and we intend to get back to that high standard,” Mr Daly said.

If work starts as expected in September, Mr Daly said the schedule is to have the project completed by April, and already the team at Galway bay Golf Resort is planning ahead for the completion of works.

“We have a five-star golf course, we’ll have a five-star facility up there with redeveloped clubhouse, and we are already working with tour operators.

“We are already are working in partnership with a number of hotels in Galway, there are packages and will be packages be available for both golfing and non-golfing members of touring parties – there is so much to see and do in Galway, it is a great destination.

“There are exciting times ahead and we want to showcase what we have here. Tour operators are always eager to come to Galway, and we have had a lot of feedback from America in relation to a feature video that has been shown in America recently,” Mr Daly said.

Back in May the golf club hosted a filming crew from the NBC stable in conjunction with Fáilte Ireland to shoot an eight-minute advert which highlights the facilities available to all overseas golfers to the resort.

That was screened to an estimated television audience of 70 million people in America, and Mr Daly says there has been a rise in interest from the American market since the advert was screened, including from the Irish diaspora.

“We have had a lot of feedback, receiving quite a lot of calls from North America including from the Irish, and Galway, diaspora. The television piece was broadcast in New York, Boston, Chicago and Florida, and the interest has been superb,” Mr Daly said.

The golf course, which has been hailed as one of the best in the West of Ireland, was originally designed by former Ryder Cup star, Christy O’Connor Jnr, and he travelled to the club last week for the launch of the Pro-Am and the clubhouse renovation plans.

He said that while the current facilities are excellent – the clubhouse currently operates on a portion of the ground floor of the closed Galway Bay Hotel – it was hugely important to the club’s members to return to the original clubhouse, which he said was a huge hit with one particular famous US personality who regularly visited the course.

“It is great to be back here and see something new happening. The move into the hotel has been great and it is a fine facility, but there is nothing to compare with where we were and it is great news that the old clubhouse is reopening.

“I remember one evening sitting upstairs with Bob Hope after a game, looking out as the sun set over the Bay and he said it was as close as you can get to heaven, he loved this place,” Mr O’Connor Jnr recalled.

Connacht Tribune

Anger over sudden arrival of housing agency in Tuam

Published

on

An agency that provides accommodation for homeless people has been labelled ‘a disaster for tenancy management’ with claims that the people they house are often at the heart of anti-social behaviour.

Tuam Municipal District chairman, Cllr Donagh Killilea, has now demanded a meeting with those involved in the Peter McVerry Trust who are in the process of occupying eleven residential units in the centre of the town.

Cllr Killilea claimed that the same charity was responsible for housing families at two other locations in Tuam – and that these have been regularly visited by the Gardaí on foot of allegations of unruly behaviour.

Cllr Killilea claimed that the charity does not monitor the behaviour of the tenants and added that they do not have an ongoing presence at these locations.

The Peter McVerry Trust is mainly a housing and homeless charity who have secured the eleven vacant units – a mix of recently refurbished one-bedroom and two-bedroom units – just off Shop Street in Tuam.

Trust CEO Pat Doyle said that he was disappointed by Cllr Killilea’s comments and stressed that all nominations for their units in Galway are put forward by Galway County Council.

He clarified that the Trust has one other property in Tuam, not two, but said that they are aware of concerns in relation to this property and are actively working to find a solution.

Some of new eleven units are overlooking a car park alongside a major supermarket and a number of other business premises.

Cllr Killilea claimed that their other property was regularly visited by members of the Gardaí as a result of disturbances.

“They are a disaster for tenancy management and these eleven units have been sprung on the people of Tuam. There was no consultation with residents or the business community on Shop Street,” he said.

“There are people not happy about this and it is time that we met with the Peter McVerry Trust to see who are being housed there and if they have been vetted,” the Fianna Fail councillor added.

According to Cllr Pete Roche (FG), he was ‘surprised and shocked’ by the move. He appreciated what the Trust does for people on the housing list but asked if they accepted responsibility for the actions of the tenants who occupy these properties.

“If the tenants become unruly, then it comes back to us as a Council. We do have an obligation to those on the housing waiting list but there are some who are there because of their past history.

“Of course, the majority are genuine cases, but there has to be a proper vetting process in place. The last thing we need is for the occupants to become unruly which will have an impact on everyone around them,” Cllr Roche added.

Director of Services, Derek Pender said that he would bring these concerns to the Director of Housing with Galway County Council, Liam Hanrahan.

In a statement to this newspaper, Mr Doyle said that the Trust had worked with Galway County Council since early 2020 to secure housing pathways for people impacted by homelessness.

“We are working extremely hard to secure as many homes as possible to reduce the number of homeless people in the county,” he said.

He said that in November 2020, they made a presentation to Galway County Council’s Strategic Policy Committee.

“At this meeting we set out our plans and listed key target areas for delivery that were identified in consultation with the Council, areas such as Athenry, Loughrea, Ballinasloe, Tuam and so on.

“To that end we are delighted to be able to secure eleven additional units in Tuam this week which will help reduce the homeless numbers in Galway and adds to the homes we have secured to date in Oranmore, Loughrea, Athenry and Ballinasloe.

“Peter McVerry Trust has regular meetings and provides regular updates to the Council executive on our housing pipeline, which are subject to their support and approval, and working in tandem with them to identify areas housing need.

“We were surprised and somewhat disappointed to learn of the comments made by Councillor Killilea, particularly as he had not made direct contact with us make prior to the meeting or his media interviews to discuss any concerns he may have about the tenants we are supporting in Tuam.

“In relation to the specific case he referenced in the media, Peter McVerry Trust cannot comment on individual cases except to say all nominations to units in Galway have previously and in the future are put forward to us by Galway County Council. It is our job to support these individual cases.

“We have been aware of concerns in relation to the property in Tuam and are actively working to find a solution.

“As late as October 8, we met with the Director of Housing in Galway County Council and the first item we raised was the Tuam case. We put forward a proposal for resolution and this was accepted by the Council. That solution will be implemented at the earliest opportunity,” he added.

Continue Reading

Connacht Tribune

Turning music into a fine art

Published

on

A Connemara artist who used her time in lockdown to put her work on social media – in an effort to garner a wider fanbase – has had 25 of her most vibrant pieces put to music…by a virtual band which got together in the pandemic and has only released work online.

The collaboration between Aoife Dowd from Carna and Galway retro-rockers The Opacas has so far garnered 100 views on YouTube. But the band’s Pat Boyle says their sincere hope is that Aoife gets sales from the artistic collusion, which features a piano version of their summer single ‘Outta Time’.

“It’s played by keyboardist Peter Tobin and his laid-back jazz rendition

itself perfectly to showcasing Aoife’s work. We have used piano versions of our songs to showcase other painters and photographers in the past. Peter is a well-known musician in Galway and his piano versions are lovely so we wanted to use them to promote other artists.”

Aoife, who now lives in Oughterard with husband Noel Joyce and children, Cayden (10) and Holly (6), works as an art teacher in Scoil Phobail Mhic Dara Secondary school in Carna.

The 45-year-old paints in her spare time. The daughter of Carna artist Maureen Dowd and local businessman and builder Jackie Dowd, she began her creative studies in The Grennan Mill Craft School, Thomastown, Co Kilkenny, later going on to receive am honours degree and Hdip from the Limerick School of Art and Design.

“My artwork would probably be described as vibrant and impressionistic. I paint mostly landscapes in oil, I like to use strong and bright colours said as I love the energy they convey,” she reveals.

She draws her inspiration from the ever-changing moods, colours, light and vibrancy of the landscape in Connemara.

“I hope to capture more than just a scene in my work, but to draw the viewer in through a vibrant use of colour and textures. I want to create a sense of wonder, spirit and curiosity.”

She has had some successful exhibitions but this was not possible in the 18 months of lockdown, so she began to make use of Instagram and twitter to share her artwork.

“This led to lots of interest in my work and questions about a website. This is something I have always thought of setting up, so lockdown just motivated me to get it done. It has been going really well so far. Fine art prints and special commissions of portraits and landscapes have been popular.”

The Opacas are Galway musicians Steve Talbot, Peter Tobin and Pat Boyle, joined by Leeds based guitarist Mark Rayner.

“We are dedicated to making fun music and videos which they hope make people smile. The Opacas came about during the first Covid-19 lockdown when all venues for live performance were shut down. We released our first single in September 2020.

“The Opacas collaborate with local artists, theatre groups and musicians in creating music and videos which we publish on YouTube and social media.”

The band have released acoustic piano versions of their previous releases on YouTube and have showcased the work of painters Jin Yong, Patrick Kinneally and Emma Cownie. They have also showcased the work of photographers Chaosheng Zhang and Rebecca Harris.

Their video for ‘Outta Time’ features Lego creations at various Galway landmarks. A previous video was filmed around hotspots of Kinvara.

All Opacas videos can be found on YouTube or on www.Opacas.com. Aoife’s art can be viewed and purchased on www.aoifedowdartist.com.

Continue Reading

Connacht Tribune

Connemara roads branded a ‘death trap’

Published

on

Connemara roads ‘are a death trap’ and a real disincentive for anyone to invest in the region, a local councillor has warned.
Cllr Pádraig Mac an Iomaire (FG) said at a Connemara Area Council meeting that on parts of the main R336 coast road, two trucks couldn’t pass and yet no progress was being made with the upgrade of the route.
“This road is a death trap and is part of a huge problem across Connemara where the roads are in a very bad state.
“We’re being told we have to wait for the decision on the ring road around Galway city but many of us can’t see that happening. In the meantime, our roads are just being left behind.
“The question has to be asked – who will invest in Connemara with the current state of our roads?” said Cllr Mac an Iomaire.
Cllr Eileen Mannion (FG), said that the delay in upgrading the R336 road was causing a lot of hardship and suffering in Connemara.
She appealed to people not to appeal any decision on the R336 when it would eventually get the go-ahead for an upgrade.
Cllr Tom Welby (Ind.) said that ‘something had to happen’ with the R336 in terms of its upgrade.
He said he was aware that there would be a problem in relation to some houses along the route but added: “that you can’t make an omelette without breaking an egg.”
According to Cllr Tomás Ó Curraoin, some of the driving on the Connemara roads ‘was suicidal’ with no patience being shown. “Someone will be killed,” he said.
Cllr Daithí Ó Cualáin (FF) said that the R336 was one of the busiest national roads in the region, but its upgrade was continuously being put back until a decision was made on the Galway city ring road.
“We’re ending up losing jobs and industry because we don’t have the roads infrastructure in place. We hear of continuing delays on any decision on the ring road [Galway city] – I would like to hear the view of the Green Party councillor [Alastair McKinstry] on the issue,” said Cllr Ó Cualáin.
Cllr McKinstry said that he agreed with the need for repairs and an upgrade of the R336, but this needed to be done on the basis of long-term planning. “The road is not up to scratch for all users,” he said.
Connemara Area Cathaoirleach, Cllr Seamus Walsh (FF) said that some of the driving on so-called rat-runs on Connemara roads – including the Furbo area – was ‘absolutely crazy’.
“I would advise parents not to let their children on bicycles to and from school. There’s no place to walk on those roads, not to mind cycling – it’s just not safe,” said Cllr Walsh.
Area Engineer, Damien Mitchell, said that the Council staff were as frustrated as the councillors in terms of progress being made on the R336.
He said that a decision from An Bord Pleanála on the Galway City Ring Road was due by November 19 next and while there were frustrations with such delays [ring road], it was important to get it all done properly.
“As regards the R336, we have gone to the Department on a number of occasions on this issue. We’re told that we will be starting from a clean slate so as regards traffic counts there’s no point in doing those until the project moves on,” said Mr Mitchell.
■ The R336 83km (c. 50 miles) road links Galway city to the N59 route at Leenane, via Barna, Spiddal, Inverin, Cashla, Screebe and Maam Cross.

Continue Reading

Local Ads

Local Ads

Advertisement
Advertisement

Facebook

Advertisement

Trending