Date Published: 28-Apr-2011
By Dara Bradley
There was a stand-off between City Council workers and residents of an estate in Doughiska when the local authority moved in unannounced on Good Friday to commence building a road through a green area.
Several residents and newly co-opted City Councillor Frank Fahy (FG) protested on a green space at the Tur Uisce estate when Council workers commenced work on building a new road. Work was stopped due to health and safety concerns as a result of the protest.
The road is needed to gain access to a landlocked site that will, in time, be home to a brand new primary and secondary schools.
But residents of the estate are angry that the road proposed would cut through a green area of the estate, which they have been maintaining through paying property management fees for years.
Residents want the Council to consider moving the road northwards, so that the green space would be saved. It is understood, however, that the Council has an agreement with the VEC or Department of Education to have access made available to the site of the school at the end of June.
Also, it is believed that if the road is moved north, it would be greater in length and would be over 100 metres – any new road over 100 metres requires the City Council to apply for planning permission, which would delay the building of the road.
The residents are also questioning who has ownership of the particular piece of land.
It is not known yet why Council workers moved onto the site on Good Friday, a public holiday, but the local authority has now agreed to wait until next Tuesday until it commences work on the project again. Residents are now weighing up their options and receiving legal advice.
A spokesperson for the Council said it had discussions with residents last year in relation to the road, which it stresses is necessary for the development of two new schools which will be of benefit to the entire Doughiska area.
For more on this story, see the Galway City Tribune.
Judge adjourns Connemara assault case
Date Published: 08-May-2013
A date will be set next October for the trial of a 52-year old Connemara man, who is charged with assaulting traditional Irish musician Noel Hill five years ago.
Michael Folan from Teach Mór, Lettermullen, is charged with intentionally or recklessly causing serious harm to Noel Hill at Tí Padraig Mairtín Beag in Leitir Mór, on St Stephen’s Day, 2008.
The matter had been listed for trial on several occasions before Galway Circuit Criminal Court in the intervening period.
It was referred to the High Court in Dublin last year for judicial review after Michael Folan said he wanted his trial heard ‘as Gaeilge’and that a bi-lingual jury be made available to hear the case.
At Galway Circuit Criminal Court, Judge Rory McCabe adjourned the case for mention to October when it’s expected a date will be set for trial.
Bank of Ireland Galway Shopping Centre branch to close
Date Published: 10-May-2013
Bank of Ireland’s branch at Galway Shopping Centre on the Headford Road is to close in July.
The branch is to merge into the BOI outlet at Galway Industrial Estate in Mervue.
Galway Bay fm news reports the 14 staff impacted are to be offered redeployment and there will be no job losses.
Galway RNLI rescues three people stranded on Hare Island
Date Published: 13-May-2013
Galway RNLI Lifeboat has come to the rescue of three students who got stranded on Hare Island after getting caught in the tide off Ballyloughan Beach.
The two girls and boy, in their late teens had gone for a walk and were spotted waving from the island by a local resident who contacted the emergency Services and Galway Lifeboat.
Conditions at the time (4pm) were very changeable with heavy showers.
Three members of the Lifeboat shore crew were working in the vicinity of the station at the time and launched the boat in six minutes.
The three students were picked up safely and brought back to the Lifeboat Station at Galway Docks where they were warmed up and given tea and did not require medical attention.