Sleepless nights, out-of-control drinking and increasingly dangerous living conditions are creating ‘a living hell’ for city centre residents living next door to short-terms lets.
As neighbouring properties are turned into ‘party central’, demand is growing for tougher regulation of the sector.
This comes after it was revealed by the Council that just five landlords in the city, operating secondary properties as short-term lets, have sought planning permission for this. That’s despite legislation requiring this being introduced two years ago.
One resident who contacted this newspaper said their apartment had become encircled by short-term lets where eight people were regularly crammed into two-bed units.
“It is advertised on Airbnb for all to see . . . the clients that stay here are undoubtedly young and here to party,” she said, adding that loud music, screaming in the corridors and banging doors regularly kept her young child awake.
“Even the most decent of groups of this size are inevitably loud and disruptive.
“The environment is very intimidating in the common area with two illegal letting businesses operating and so much activity,” she said given the level of drinking that was taking place.
“This is a huge safety concern for our family on top of the fact that we cannot sleep. Our babysitter is even concerned and anxious about being here alone with the child when we are at work. This is a terribly stressful and invasive disruption to us all in our own home.”
A renter in the city centre told the City Tribune that 60 per cent of the apartments in the block where he lived were being operated as short-term lets. No planning permission had been sought, despite what was akin to a business operation.
“There are laundry carts blocking the refuse area and the tenants’ bike shed has been converted into a cleaning room. Not alone is there endless noise and disruption, but our facilities are being taken away from us,” he said.
He said apartments that had the potential to house up to 18 people were essentially off the market to facilitate this, while rents continued to sky-rocket.
For more, read this week’s Connacht Tribune.
Connacht Tribune Digital Edition App
Download the Connacht Tribune Digital Edition App to access to Galway’s best-selling newspaper.
Or purchase the Digital Edition for PC, Mac or Laptop from Pagesuite HERE.
Get the Connacht Tribune Live app
The Connacht Tribune Live app is the home of everything that is happening in Galway City and county. It’s completely FREE and features all the latest news, sport and information on what’s on in your area. Click HERE to download it for iPhone and iPad from Apple’s App Store, or HERE to get the Android Version from Google Play.
No monkeypox cases recorded so far in Galway
The Health Protection Surveillance Centre (HSPC) has had no reports of monkeypox infection in Galway so far.
So far, some 97 confirmed cases have been notified in Ireland, including 12 new notifications in the week to July 30.
But none of these cases were notified in the HSE’s CHO2 area which includes Galway, Mayo and Roscommon.
The latest epidemiology report about human monkeypox was released last week.
All of the 97 notified cases in Ireland are males and have a median age of 36.
The sexual orientation of 75 of the men is known, and they self-identify as gay, bisexual or other men who have sex with men.
The HSPC said this epidemiology of the infection is similar to other countries.
A total of ten people have been hospitalised with the infection; four of them required clinical care for monkeypox infection while two were admitted for observation.
The HSE said monkeypox is a very uncommon infection that produces a spotty, itchy and sore rash, and sometimes a fever.
It is caused by a monkeypox virus which is naturally found in some animals in Africa. The HSE said it was in the news now because there have been several thousand cases of monkeypox in countries where the virus is not found naturally, including Ireland.
It is spread through close contact, including sexual contact, but it can be picked up through contact with objects touched by an infected person such as sheets.
Monkeypox symptoms can appear in two stages. The first stage usually begins with a sudden onset of fever and chills, followed by a bad headache, swollen glands and exhaustion. There may also be muscle ache, backache, cough and runny nose, and gastrointestinal symptoms such as vomiting and diarrhoea. Not everyone with monkeypox has these initial symptoms.
One to three days after the fever starts, an itchy rash appears. It may first appear on the face and spread to other parts of the body. Some people may only have a rash and not initial symptoms.
Anyone with symptoms is asked to contact their GP.
Law catches up with Galway parking meter thief years later
From the Galway City Tribune – The long arm of the law stretched back through the years, finally bringing a man to justice this week for stealing almost €3,500 in coins from parking meters in the city six years ago.
42-year-old Ioan Costin, a Romanian national with an address at 20 Brewery Court, Ballinrobe, was taken into custody on July 11 on foot of three separate bench warrants issued for his arrest when he failed to appear before courts in Galway in 2017, and more recently Dublin and Castlebar.
He was facing charges in Galway in 2017 of damaging a parking meter at the Long Walk, belonging to Galway/Aengus Property Management on July 6, 2016, and with stealing €669.90 in coins from the meter on the same date.
He was further charged with stealing €932 in coins from another parking meter at the Docks, the property of Paul Sheridan, c/o Port of Galway, on October 2, 2016, and with damaging that machine on the same occasion.
Costin was brought in custody before Galway District Court on July 18 – a week after the bench warrant was executed – where he pleaded guilty to the above charges and to further charges of damaging four other parking meters at or near the Docks area on various dates between July 4 and 19, 2016.
In all, coins totalling €3,451 were taken from the meters over the four-month period, to which he also pleaded guilty.
In one raid alone, Costin and another man, who was never identified or caught, stole €1,800 in coins from one meter at the Dock Road on July 6, 2016.
He was also found in possession of two screw drivers which he used to force the meters open during one of the July raids.
Both men were captured on CCTV, damaging the meters and stealing the coins, following a Garda investigation into the targeted attacks on parking meters in the Docks area at the time.
Costin made full admissions to Garda Ronan Leonard following his arrest on July 11 last.
He claimed he had a gambling addiction and went straight to Salthill on each occasion with his share of the stolen coins, where he lost them all on slot machines.
Defence barrister, Ernie White explained to Judge Gerard Furlong at the holiday sittings of the court this week that his client was first brought in custody before Galway District Court on July 11 last where he pleaded guilty to the charges and sentence was adjourned to this week’s court.
Sergeant Christy Browne, prosecuting, said Costin had 17 previous convictions, all of which were for thefts and for having implements to commit thefts. The most recent conviction, he said, was recorded at Castlebar Circuit Court on July 15 last where Costin received a three-month sentence for a theft which he committed in May 2020. He had also received suspended sentences at a court in Dublin the previous day for similar thefts and for having screwdrivers to commit thefts in 2017.
Noting Costin had made no attempt to repay the money in the intervening years, Judge Furlong sentenced him to five months in prison for damaging the meter at The Long Walk and imposed a concurrent five-month sentence for the theft of the €3,451. Both sentences were backdated to when the Costin went into custody on July 11. The judge took the remaining charges into account and granted leave to appeal the sentence.
Arts building must be provided in any overhaul of Galway Docks
From the Galway City Tribune – A three-storey structure to accommodate the arts in Galway City could become a reality as part of the regeneration plans for the extensive Inner Harbour site at the Docks.
And Galway Harbour Company has stated that as part of any redevelopment of the site, they are very supportive of the provision of arts and cultural facilities on their lands.
Caroline Phelan, Senior Planner with the City Council, told a Galway City Development Plan (2023-29) discussion that they would consider the provision of 1,500 square metres of arts space on the site by the eventual developer.
And she said that this could involve the construction of a three-storey structure and would be embraced as part of the overall Harbour extension and all councillors present at the meeting welcomed such a move.
Ms Phelan added that any such development would be limited to a certain size and would be done in conjunction with the City Arts Officer. An audit of arts and culture requirements would also be carried out.
The City Development Plan meeting was discussing a submission from the Galway Harbour Company which outlined a proposed masterplan for the overall site which it said would be required.
It is envisaged that the site will be ‘built out’ in two phases and should require a separate masterplan for each phase, in the context of the overall planning framework.
However, as part of this massive plan, it is required the provision of an arts and cultural facility at a developer’s expense and with a management regime incorporated into the development delivery that enables the long-term sustainable use of such a facility.
“Galway Harbour Company are entirely supportive of the provision of arts and cultural facilities on their lands as part of the regeneration of the area and will actively accommodate such facilities.
“However, the requirement as set out in the draft plan is considered to be unduly onerous particularly as our client has no involvement in or expertise in this sector.
“The Galway Harbour Company will make a site available for an arts and cultural facility and will work with all relevant parties to ensure that this facility is delivered and that it is sustainable in the long term.”
It was requested by the Harbour Company that that this requirement would be reworded along the following lines: “Provision will be made within the masterplan for an arts and cultural facility and the delivery and management regime for this facility will be devised in collaboration with Galway City Council and other relevant stakeholders.”
Cllr Donal Lyons (Ind) at the outset asked if it would be a small, medium or large artistic facility and inquired if there would be a minimum space available for the arts as part of the Harbour regeneration plans.
But he did express the view that it was a major step towards the provision of such facilities at the Docks and it would “foster artistic purposes”.