Classifieds Advertise Archive Subscriptions Family Announcements Photos Digital Editions/Apps
Connect with us

Breaking News

Relief for Carraroe residents as new GP to take office next week

Published

on

Galway Bay fm newsroom – There’s relief for residents in Carraroe as the HSE has confirmed that a new GP will take up office next week.
It’s after a doctor earmarked to replace local GP Dr Mary Feerick unexpectedly declined the position – leading to fears up to 1, 000 people could be left without cover from Friday.
Local GP in Carraroe, Dr. Mary Feerick, is retiring on Friday – and until now, residents in Carraroe were left in the lurch as to what cover would be available to them.
A replacement had been selected for the position by the HSE following an interview process – but unexpectedly decided to decline the position.
However, the HSE has now confirmed there will be no gaps in the GP service as it has secured a doctor who will start in the position from Monday.
Dr. Imtiaz Ali will initially be employed from the 7th of August to the 6th of November and will also offer an on-call rota during that time.
This means he’ll provide a normal Monday to Friday service – but will also be available out of hours and on weekends if required.
The HSE says it will write to medical card holders this week to inform them of the arrangements and that they will be automatically transferred to Dr Ali’s panel.

Breaking News

Galway Minister Anne Rabbitte vows to end long-term admissions of under-65s to nursing homes

Published

on

Galway Bay fm newsroom – Minister of State and Galway East TD Anne Rabbitte has vowed to end long-term admissions of under-65s to nursing homes within six months.

The Ombudsman will today call for a date to be set for the practice to finish, when he appears before an Oireachtas committee.

Over 1,300 under-65s live in nursing homes at the moment – and Peter Tyndall is strongly critical of that.

Minister of State at the Department of Children, Equality, Disability and Integration Anne Rabbitte says she’s hoping to end the practice very soon.

Continue Reading

Breaking News

Connemara councillors make call for exemptions for overnight parking of caravans

Published

on

Galway Bay fm newsroom – Connemara county councillors have passed a resolution calling for exemptions from the standard planning regulations in regard to overnight parking for motor caravans this year.

At a meeting of the municipal district, councillors were told that planning and safety issues normally come into play when facilities for tents and caravans are developed but that the situation would be explored in view of the Covid-19 crisis.

Caravan and motor vans are now a very common sight on the roads of Connemara – a situation brought about by the Covid 19 restrictions on accommodation.

However, facilities and parking space is needed and Councillor Pádraic Mac an Iomaire said at a meeting of Connemara Councillors that the southern part of the area is badly served in this regard.

Councillor Mac an Iomaire suggested that an area at Rosaveal Harbour and parking space at the GAA pitch in Máimín in LeitirMóir could be used for such purposes.

County Council Tourism Officer, Ruth Mulhern instanced initiatives in RosMuc and at the Cashel Community Centre in Connemara.

However, she said a further look at these facilities is needed in regard to the minimum requirements.

Director of Services Michael Owens said he would explore possible exemptions but planning permission and safety measure are the basic requirements in the longer term.

Continue Reading

Breaking News

Bus Éireann to reinstate services on Galway to Gort route

Published

on

Galway Bay fm newsroom – Bus Éireann has announced that from this Friday, late services will be reinstated on the Galway to Gort bus route.

It follows the suspension of a number of Expressway 51 Galway-Limerick services last month, which resulted in the last bus from Galway departing at 5.05pm.

Local politicians expressed huge dismay at the move and the matter was even brought to the attention of Taoiseach Micheal Martin in the Dáil.

It’s now been confirmed that from Friday, the last daily departure from Ceannt Station will be restored to 7.05pm.

Bus Éireann says it recognises the later service from Galway is particularly important to people in South Galway and Clare.

It adds that guaranteed seat booking for the restored service will be available online at expressway.ie within a week of the resumption.

Continue Reading

Local Ads

Local Ads

Advertisement
Advertisement

Facebook

Advertisement

Trending