Classifieds Advertise Archive Subscriptions Family Announcements Photos Digital Editions/Apps
Connect with us

Entertainment

Rackhouse Pilfer set for new challenges

Published

on

Rackhouse Pilfer, the roots band who have worked with legendary singer Tom Jones are currently working on their new album.

Groove Tube with Jimi McDonnelll – tribunegroove@live.ie

Rackhouse Pilfer, who are purveyors of foot-stamping feel-good roots music, play Campbell’s Tavern, Cloughanover this Saturday, February 27, and Monroe’s Live on Friday, March 4.  The Sligo-based band have recently returned from a UK tour that took in dates in the Bristol/Bath area, as well as a trip to Liverpool.

“It went really well,” says fiddler and dobro player Fiachra.

Rackhouse Pilfer are no strangers to England, having taken a trip there last year to record two songs with Tom Jones. The Welsh singer was introduced to the six-piece by his producer Ethan Johns, who has also worked with Ryan Adams, Paul McCartney and Kings of Leon.

“We sent Ethan Johns our last album Love & Havoc,” Fiachra says. “We didn’t expect him to come back to us to be honest, but he came back with a positive response. He liked the album and he had an idea for us to work with Tom Jones on one or two songs. We jumped at it.”

Fiachra describes Jones as a ‘gent,’ but the fiddler admits to some nerves on Rackhouse Pilfer’s part.

“We only had one day to get the songs done,” he says.  “To be honest, there was a bit of pressure to get it right. Even though they trusted us and liked the album, there was still an element of will this/won’t this work?.”

Ultimately, however, Rackhouse Pilfer’s comfort-playing old-time Americana won them a fan in the Welsh legend.

“We weren’t sure if the two songs we recorded were going to make the final cut because he actually recorded about 40 songs for the album. They cut that down to 12 or 13, so were ecstatic to hear both ours made it. In fact, one of them was the main single he released.”

Rackhouse Pilfer will be recording again soon, with their focus now on their own third album.

“We’re still in the process of picking a studio and producer,” Fiachra says. “We’re demoing at the moment in Transition Studios in Longford.  Before we went to the UK, we had three days off and two and a half of those were spent working on the album. Getting the songs written and arranged and seeing how they sound – a mock-up album as such. We’ll do the real one in April some time.”

For more, read this week’s Connacht Tribune.

CITY TRIBUNE

Stunning and David Kitt for free gigs in Ballinalsoe and Clifden

Published

on

The Stunning are playing Ballinasloe this Saturday night while David Kitt will be in Clifden next Friday, October 22.

The Stunning will take to the stage of Ballinasloe’s Town Hall Theatre this Saturday, October 16, night at 8pm to play hits such as including Brewing up a Storm, Half Past Two, Romeo’s on Fire, Heads are Gonna Roll and Brighten up my Life. Meanwhile David Kitt will be in Clifden next Friday, October 22, performing songs from his new album, 20.

These gigs are the fourth in the Ceol an tSamhraidh series of free live music events being presented by Galway County Council Art and Tourism Offices as part of the Government’s Local Live Performance Programming Scheme.

The Stunning were a force to be reckoned with in 1990s’ Ireland, when they played and toured continually, becoming one of the most successful homegrown bands ever. Their debut album, Paradise in The Picturehouse. spent five weeks at number one and became among the most popular Irish albums of all time. After seven years on the road, the band split. These days, the members still continue to pursue their own individual projects, but they also perform together regularly as the Stunning. And now that restrictions have eased, they’re ready for road.

Meanwhile, the Station House Theatre is the location for David Kitt’s debut Clifden show next weekend.

For more, read this week’s Connacht Tribune.

Connacht Tribune Digital Edition App

Download the Connacht Tribune Digital Edition App to access to Galway’s best-selling newspaper.

Click HERE to download it for iPhone and iPad from Apple’s App Store, or HERE to get the Android Version from Google Play.

Or purchase the Digital Edition for PC, Mac or Laptop from Pagesuite  HERE.

Get the Connacht Tribune Live app
The Connacht Tribune Live app is the home of everything that is happening in Galway City and county. It’s completely FREE and features all the latest news, sport and information on what’s on in your area. Click HERE to download it for iPhone and iPad from Apple’s App Store, or HERE to get the Android Version from Google Play.

 

 

 

Continue Reading

CITY TRIBUNE

John Behan – ‘blowing our hearts wide open’

Published

on

RTÉ's Bryan Dobson congratulates artist John Behan after officially opening his exhibition 'Shifting Ground' at the Kenny Gallery on Friday. Masks were worn for the event, only being removed for the speech and photographs. PHOTO: DEAN KELLY.

Shifting Ground, a new collection in bronze from sculptor John Behan, opened at the city’s Kenny Gallery last weekend, with RTÉs’ Bryan Dobson doing the honours and praising the artist’s work ethic and discipline as well as his talent.

The show reflects on Behan’s experience of living through the pandemic, while the renowned artist has also returned to his previous theme of Emigrants and created images inspired by the current refugee crisis, a subject he explored in his show, Migrants, which was shown in Kenny’s early in 2020, before Covid took hold.

John Behan has met and worked with refugees on various trips to Greece and Cyprus and their stories have found their way into his art alongside his Irish work, the Famine Ship, and Broighter Boat and Oar Boat series.

For more, read this week’s Connacht Tribune.

Connacht Tribune Digital Edition App

Download the Connacht Tribune Digital Edition App to access to Galway’s best-selling newspaper.

Click HERE to download it for iPhone and iPad from Apple’s App Store, or HERE to get the Android Version from Google Play.

Or purchase the Digital Edition for PC, Mac or Laptop from Pagesuite  HERE.

Get the Connacht Tribune Live app
The Connacht Tribune Live app is the home of everything that is happening in Galway City and county. It’s completely FREE and features all the latest news, sport and information on what’s on in your area. Click HERE to download it for iPhone and iPad from Apple’s App Store, or HERE to get the Android Version from Google Play.

 

Continue Reading

CITY TRIBUNE

Feast of Mozart for memorial concert

Published

on

Pianist Christian Blackshaw is renowned for his interpretation of Mozart's sonatas.

UK pianist Christian Blackshaw will give a recital of Mozart’s music next Friday, October 22, at the Emily Anderson Concert Hall, NUIG, starting at 8pm. The concert, in celebration of Anderson’s life and work, is being presented by Music for Galway and NUIG.

It will feature Mozart’s Fantasie in D minor, K.397; Rondo in D major, K. 485; Adagio in B minor, K.540; Sonata in F major, K.332; Sonata in C major, K.545; Sonata in C minor, K.457.

“It is nearly two years since we last presented a concert in this venue and we can’t wait to be back where MfG started 40 years ago,” says Chair of Music for Galway Anne Ó Maille, who describes the venue as the group’s “spiritual home”.

The multi-talented Emily Anderson (1891-1962) was reared in the quadrangle of NUIG. The daughter of Alexander Anderson, the president of what was then Queen’s College, she graduated from the college and went on become its first professor of German. She moved to England in 1918 and worked as a code-breaker for the British during WWII. As an academic, she went on to edit and translate the letters of Mozart and also of Beethoven.

For more, read this week’s Connacht Tribune.

Connacht Tribune Digital Edition App

Download the Connacht Tribune Digital Edition App to access to Galway’s best-selling newspaper.

Click HERE to download it for iPhone and iPad from Apple’s App Store, or HERE to get the Android Version from Google Play.

Or purchase the Digital Edition for PC, Mac or Laptop from Pagesuite  HERE.

Get the Connacht Tribune Live app
The Connacht Tribune Live app is the home of everything that is happening in Galway City and county. It’s completely FREE and features all the latest news, sport and information on what’s on in your area. Click HERE to download it for iPhone and iPad from Apple’s App Store, or HERE to get the Android Version from Google Play.

Continue Reading

Local Ads

Local Ads

Advertisement
Advertisement

Facebook

Advertisement

Trending