Classifieds Advertise Archive Subscriptions Family Announcements Photos Digital Editions/Apps
Connect with us

News

Private hospitals paid €1m to take patients from HSE waiting lists

Published

on

Galway University Hospitals paid more than €1 million to private hospitals for the treatment of public patients last year as it struggled to cope with waiting lists and overcrowding.

A total of 2,723 patients were taken from waiting lists at GUH (University Hospital Galway and Merlin Park) and sent to three private hospitals for treatment and procedures at the taxpayer’s expense during 2015.

Figures show that 868 inpatients were referred from waiting lists at GUH to the Galway Clinic last year at a cost of €62,249; while 516 outpatients were sent to Kingsbridge Private Hospital in Sligo.

A further 1,339 outpatients were referred for treatment to Bon Secours Hospital in Renmore at a cost of €1,014,317; bringing the total spend on private care to €1,076,566 during 2015.

Fine Gael TD for Galway West, Hildegarde Naughton – who is campaigning for the development of a new hospital at Merlin Park – said the figures were further evidence that UHG can no longer deal with current levels of demand.

“It has been established that bed capacity at UHG cannot be increased due to spatial and planning reasons, and it is clear that the hospital cannot provide for the needs of our existing population.

“The longer it takes for us to come to the realisation that the development of a new facility at an alternative site is necessary, the longer waiting lists will grow and the more money will be squandered on stop-gap measures and piecemeal solutions,” she said.

Deputy Naughton has previously criticised the recent €18 million spend on a new ward block at UHG, which will not result in any additional beds.

Due to congestion on the site, a shortage of parking spaces, and planning restrictions contained in the City Development Plan, bed capacity cannot be increased.

“This problem is already costing us millions. These figures show that more than €1 million was paid to the private sector last year because of inadequacies with our public facilities.

“That money would have gone a long way towards improving and expanding our own facilities so that public patients could be cared for within the public system – but we cannot expand facilities on the existing site,” she said.

CITY TRIBUNE

Cars down to one-way system on Salthill Promenade

Published

on

From this week’s Galway City Tribune – A one-way system of traffic may be introduced along the Promenade in Salthill to facilitate the introduction of temporary cycle lanes.

The suggestion appeared to come as a shock to some City Council members who supported the cycle lane in a vote last month – one has called for a “full discussion again” on what exactly they had actually approved.

Councillors had voted 17-1 in favour of the principle of providing a cycleway that will stretch from Grattan Road all along the Prom.

The motion that passed at the September meeting proposed that the Council “shall urgently seek” to create a two-way segregated cycle track on a temporary basis along the coastal side of the Prom.

It was agreed that from the Blackrock Tower junction to the Barna Road would be a one-way cycle track.

The motion was voted on without debate, which meant Council officials did not have an opportunity to question the proposal.

At a meeting on Monday, the debate was revisited when Uinsinn Finn, Director of Services for Transportation, indicated that a one-way traffic system would be introduced in Salthill to facilitate a two-way cycle lane from Grattan Road to Blackrock.

This could mean that the outbound lane of traffic, closest to the sea, could be closed to all traffic bar bikes.

Mr Finn said that he would have sought clarity at the previous meeting – if debate were allowed – about what was meant by ‘temporary’.

This is a shortened preview version of this article. To read the rest of the story, see this week’s Galway City Tribune. You can buy a digital edition HERE.

Continue Reading

CITY TRIBUNE

Galway Christmas Market gets go-ahead for next month

Published

on

From this week’s Galway City Tribune – It’s the first real sign of a restoration of normality in terms of the retail and hospitality sectors in the city – the return of the Christmas Market next month to Eyre Square.

This week, the City Council’s planning department gave the go-ahead for the outdoor retail and gourmet food ‘spread’ that has been part of the festive season in Galway since 2010.

The exception was last year when, like so many other public gatherings since the Covid crisis broke in March 2020, the event had to be cancelled because of public health concerns.

Christmas Market Organiser, Maria Moynihan Lee, Managing Director of Milestone Inventive, confirmed to the Galway City Tribune, that she had received official confirmation on Thursday from the City Council of the go-ahead being given for the event.

“This is really wonderful news for the city and especially so in terms of the retail and hospitality sectors. For every €1 spent at the market another €3 will be spent on the high street – this will be a real boost for Galway,” she said.

Maria Moynihan Lee confirmed that the market would have an earlier than usual start of Friday, November 12 and would run through until the Wednesday evening of December 22.

(Photo: Declan Colohan)

This is a shortened preview version of this article. To read the rest of the story, see this week’s Galway City Tribune. You can buy a digital edition HERE.

Continue Reading

CITY TRIBUNE

Work/live units form part of new Galway City affordable housing project

Published

on

From this week’s Galway City Tribune – Five ‘live/work’ units form part of the design of a new affordable and social housing development planned for Ballybane.

The mixed development unanimously approved by city councillors this week will provide 103 apartments and houses in the Coillte Mhuirlinne estate.

A total of 85 homes will be affordable, although the details of how much they will cost to purchase have yet to be decided. The remaining 20%, or 18 units, will be social housing. Some €4.6 million in Government funding has already been approved for the social housing aspect of the plan.

Included in the design of the housing development is a ‘live/work’ element.

The Council’s Acting Director of Services for Housing, Tom Prendergast, explained that the ground floor of the five live/work three-storey units would contain an office, retail or commercial unit for service providers with three-bedroom maisonettes over the next two floors.

“It would be envisioned that these five units would be small-scale businesses run by the occupants living above.

“There would be little passing trade for any commerciality of these units so we would envisage small local services similar to a hairdresser, accountant, physiotherapist would occupy these units as an extension of ‘working from home’,” the report to city councillors said.

Mr Prendergast said the concept was similar to people living over their shops in towns and city centres. A crèche will also be built close to the commercial units.

Mayor of Galway, Colette Connolly, said she hoped lessons were learned from the previous commercial property development in Ballybane where units “were empty for 15 years” and some public bodies could not afford the rents.

This is a shortened preview version of this article. To read the rest of the story, see this week’s Galway City Tribune. You can buy a digital edition HERE.

Continue Reading

Local Ads

Local Ads

Advertisement
Advertisement

Facebook

Advertisement

Trending