The principal of one of Galway’s top secondary school has secured a temporary High Court injunction preventing a disciplinary hearing into allegations against her from proceeding.
The action has been brought by Mary Joyce, who is the principal of the Co-educational Colásite Iognáid, based at Sea Road in Galway City, who the High Court heard has brought proceedings because she is fearful of the reputation damage she will suffer over what she claims is a flawed disciplinary process.
On Friday her lawyers secured an interim injunction restraining the school’s board of Management from conducting a disciplinary hearing scheduled for Tuesday of this week at the school.
The school, which is one of Ireland’s Jesuit schools, has approximately 600 pupils.
The injunction was granted, on an ex-parte basis, by Mr Justice Paul Gilligan.
Seeking the injunction Marguerite Bolger SC for Ms Joyce said the Board initiated the disciplinary hearing last August after it furnished Ms Joyce with a report.
Counsel said the report was compiled by the board and made certain findings of fact in relation to Ms Joyce.
Counsel said such findings as contained in the report amounted to an “outrageous and fundamental breach of basic fair procedures.” Prior to the report being issued there had been no investigation, which was something which Mrs Joyce is entitled to, counsel said.
Counsel said Ms Joyce is a member of the school’s board of management and attended its meetings. Last April she was asked to excuse herself from a meeting, which she had objected to. A disciplinary meeting had been called by the board for next week while Ms Joyce had been asked to attend. Her lawyers asked that the meeting not proceed.
The board had not agreed to the request and as a result Ms Joyce had come to court to seek an injunction.
For more on this story, see the Galway City Tribune.
Gardaí bid to identify body recovered near Mutton Island
Gardai have launched an investigation following the discovery of a body in Galway Bay yesterday afternoon.
A member of the public raised the alarm after spotting the body in the water while walking on the causeway to Mutton Island.
Galway Fire Service, Gardai and the RNLI attended the scene and recovered the body at around 4pm, before it was taken to University Hospital Galway for a post mortem.
It is understood that the body may have been in the water for some time.
Gardaí are currently examining a list of missing people in the city.
Gardaí investigate fatal Carraroe crash
A man in his 30s has died following a road crash in Carraroe in the early hours of this morning.
At 3.50am, Gardaí and emergency services attended at a single car collision on a minor road.
The driver of the car, a man in his 30s, was pronounced dead at the scene a short time later. A passenger in the car, a male in his 30s, was taken by ambulance to Galway University Hospital. His injuries are not thought to be life threatening.
The road is currently closed and local diversions are in place. Garda forensic collision investigators will examine the crash site this morning.
Land Development Agency rules out Merlin ‘land grab’
From this week’s Galway City Tribune – Campaigners have warned the Land Development Agency (LDA) to keep its hands off Merlin Woods.
Local community group Friends of Merlin Woods said that the amenity on the east side of the city is not suitable for residential development.
It has sought clarification on whether the LDA has earmarked part of the recreational and amenity lands for housing, after it appeared on its online database of publicly-owned lands.
In a statement to the Galway City Tribune, the LDA said its database compiles a list of all State lands, not just land for development.
In relation to Merlin Woods, the LDA said: “Those lands aren’t included in the LDA developments in Galway. The lands database is a map-based tool which compiles all State lands and has no reflection on development potential.”
It came after Caroline Stanley of Friends of Merlin Woods raised concern that land within Merlin Woods had been earmarked for development.
“I’d be concerned that it’s marked as residential when it’s in RA (Recreational and Amenity) land. Some is marked ‘open space’ but some is marked as ‘new proposed residential’ on its [LDA’s] database. It makes us wonder why. We’d like clarity and to clear it up.
“The message we’d like to get out there is we need clarification, whether it’s a mistake on the Land Development Agency’s part, or whether it is an area that they consider as a residential area, which the community would be opposed to. We need clarity. It could be something that is in line for development later on, we don’t know, and we need clarity.”
Councillor Owen Hanley explained that the fears around Merlin Woods stem from legislation currently making its way through the Oireachtas that would strip councillors of powers to veto the transfer of land to the LDA for housing projects.
The Bill would also allow Government to direct what public lands – including those owned by local authorities – can be transferred to the LDA for development of social and affordable housing.
This is a shortened preview version of this article. To read the rest of the story, see this week’s Galway City Tribune. You can buy a digital edition HERE.