The trial of a priest charged with the sexual abuse of two brothers in a Co.Galway school in the 1970’s collapsed today at Galway Circuit Criminal Court.
The priest had denied ten charges of sexual assault which were alleged to have occurred in 1970 and 1971 in the school.
Archbishop of Tuam, Dr. Michael Neary, a witness for the prosecution, gave evidence today on the third day of the trial.
The Archbishop confirmed he had made a statement to Gardai on January 19, 2006 in which he stated that at some time between August and September, 1995 he had been informed that one of the alleged victims had made an allegation of abuse against a priest, claiming he had been sexually abused by him between 1969 and 1974.
He said the alleged victim called to see himself in the Bishop’s Palace in Tuam on September 4,1995 to discuss the matter but had declined to name the priest involved.
The man eventually named his alleged abuser in May, 1996, to another priest appointed by the Archbishop to investigate the complaint.
The man made a complaint to Gardai in 2006 and when his older brother was interviewed by Gardai in relation to that, he too claimed to have been abused by the same priest.
Following lengthy legal argument today, Judge Rory McCabe directed the jury to find the accused not guilty on all charges and he walked free from court.
City to host public consultation on new hydrogen hub at Galway Harbour
Galway Bay fm newsroom – A public consultation meeting will take place in the city next week on a planned major hydrogen hub at Galway Harbour. (14/12)
The major zero-emissions transport facility will research, produce and use renewable hydrogen gas.
The fuel will initially be distributed for use by buses and trucks, and then extended to maritme and aviation.
The public consultation will provide an overview of the project and the proposed route options for electric cables.
It takes place the Harbour Hotel on Wednesday December 14th, from 3 to 8pm.
Obsolete public phone boxes removed across city
Galway Bay fm newsroom – It’s the end of an era – as the last of the obsolete public phone boxes across the city are being removed.
Crews have been removing boxes at Eyre Square, Bridge Street and in Galway’s West End in recent days.
They’ve been described as eye-sores – while Councillor Niall McNelis says they were effectively being used as public toilets.
In recent years, some of the boxes have been replaced with modern open-air kiosks, which combine a pay-phone with a digital screen offering public information.
Councillor McNelis has been speaking to David Nevin.
Tanaiste Leo Varadkar to visit Galway tomorrow
Galway Bay fm newsroom – Leo Varadkar is to visit Galway tomorrow for a series of engagements across the county.
The Tanaiste will be visiting Connemara, Galway City, and Athenry.
Leo Varadkar will be hitting the road early, with his first stop at Kylemore Abbey in Connemara shortly after 9am.
He’ll then travel to University of Galway, where he’ll be attending the launch of Construct Innovate at mid-day.
Construct Innovate is Ireland’s National Construction Technology Centre – and aims to make Ireland a global leader in research and innovation in the sector.
To round off his trip to Galway, The Tanaiste will pay a late afternoon visit to the Bia Innovator Campus in Athenry at 4.45pm.