Classifieds Advertise Archive Subscriptions Family Announcements Photos Digital Editions/Apps
Connect with us

Connacht Tribune

Phase 4 on recovery roadmap delayed until August 10

Published

on

The planned move to Phase 4 on Ireland’s Roadmap to Recovery – including the re-opening of pubs – has been postponed until August 10, amid concerns about an increase in Covid-19 cases.

Face coverings will be made mandatory for shoppers, and retail staff will also be required to wear them unless a partition is in place, it was announced this evening.

To combat large house parties, social gatherings in residences will be limited to 10 people.

Taoiseach Micheál Martin said: “The concern about the rise in the number of cases in recent weeks is very real. The ‘R’ number, which we have all become familiar with, has now risen above 1 in this country.

“The international situation, with almost 1.5 million cases reported in just the last week, represents a growing worry. Taking these factors into consideration, today the Cabinet agreed that the current public health measures should remain in place until August 10.

“We have agreed that the country will now not be progressing to Phase 4 of the revised Roadmap for the reopening of society and business,” the Taoiseach said.

Acting Chief Medical Officer, Dr Ronan Glynn, said the R number is now somewhere between 1.2 and 1.8. The R number is the reproductive rate which indicates the number of people, on average, that an infected person will pass the virus on to.

The Government has agreed on the following:

  • Face coverings must be worn by all customers in all shops and shopping centres. Retail staff will also be required to wear them unless there is a partition in place or there is a space of two metres between them and customers. Regulations with details on enforcement and penalties will be formulated.
  • Pubs, bars, hotel bars, nightclubs and casinos will remain closed until August 10. Pubs currently serving food can remain open, once they are fully compliant.
  • Social visits to people’s homes will be limited to a maximum of ten people from no more than four different households. “There is evidence that unrestricted house parties have led to a rise in recent outbreaks of the virus,” the Taoiseach said.
  • Current restrictions of 50 people in indoor gatherings, 200 at outdoor gatherings are being extended until August 10.
  • It is continuing to advise against all non-essential foreign travel. “The global situation is deteriorating,” said the Taoiseach

“We are very acutely aware of the anxiety across the country of the prospect of visitors from virus hotspots travelling freely within the country.

“There will be an increased presence of compliance staff and increased communication at our ports and airports to make incoming passengers aware of their obligation to complete Passenger Locator Forms correctly and their requirement to restrict their movements for 14 days,” Mr Martin said.

Connacht Tribune

Record crowds pack Ballinasloe to celebrate Fair’s 300th anniversary

Published

on

Crowds flock to the Fairgreen at the Ballinasloe Horse Fair.

RECORD crowds packed into Ballinasloe last weekend for the return of the famous October Fair – but it turned to be a ‘dry day’ for the punters with most of the pubs in the town taking the decision to close their doors on Sunday.

Hotels in the town also adopted either a ‘food only’ or ‘residents only’ policy through Sunday but Gardaí reported a trouble-free weekend in the town.

“There were huge crowds around and especially so on Sunday, but we had no reports of any trouble – it was practically an incident free weekend,” said a Garda spokesperson.

Many visitors to the Fair on Sunday expressed disappointment at the decision of the pubs to close  – although a few establishments did open their doors with special security arrangements in place.

The last ‘official fair’ took place in October, 2019, and while there was an unofficial event last year, it was only a small gathering due to the Covid restrictions.

An estimated 3,000 people turned out for the free open-air country music concert with Mike Denver in the Square on Sunday afternoon and Fair organisers also reported a very busy sales day with many horses changing hands.

Trustee of the Ballinasloe Showgrounds, Gerry Stronge, told the Connacht Tribune, that after a three-year break, the crowds had really thronged back into the town on Sunday.

“Most people I know that have been attending the Fair for years said that it was biggest crowd they had ever seen there on the first Sunday of the event.

“It was an incredible day – the streets were absolutely jammed with people – and it was most enjoyable with no trouble whatsoever,” he said.

Get the full story with loads of photos in this week’s Connacht Tribune, on sale in shops now, or you can download the digital edition from www.connachttribune.ie. You can also download our Connacht Tribune App from Apple’s App Store or get the Android Version from Google Play.

Continue Reading

Connacht Tribune

A remarkable rally sees St Thomas’ reel in the ’Bridge

Published

on

Clarinbridge's Conor Lee tries to shake off the attentions of St Thomas' Victor Manso during Saturday's Senior A Group tie at Kenny Park. Photos: David Cunniffe.

St. Thomas’ 4-20

Clarinbridge 4-17

DARREN KELLY AT KENNY PARK

NOTHING at ‘stake’ but pride and last year’s two senior hurling championship finalists had plenty of that on Saturday as St. Thomas and Clarinbridge served up a thriller in their final group game.

Both teams were already guaranteed places in the knockout stages but for the winners, a path straight through to the quarter-finals proper was the reward and they played like that meant everything.

Obviously, neither side wanted to show weakness ahead of a potential showdown later in the year. The contest even had a half-time scuffle that resulted in yellow cards for St. Thomas’ duo John Headd and Conor Cooney.

Despite all that and the changing weather, the hurling was the only item for discussion afterwards. Three first half Clarinbridge goals gave them a 3-10 to 0-11 interval lead.  Four green flags for St. Thomas in the second period reminded the county that they still are the team to beat.

And that was the talking point before throw-in following their 22-match unbeaten streak ending with a heavy defeat to Turloughmore two weeks previously. And it wasn’t looking any better for St. Thomas’ when TJ Brennan struck a second minute goal for Clarinbridge.

For more, read this week’s Connacht Tribune.

Connacht Tribune Digital Edition App

Download the Connacht Tribune Digital Edition App to access to Galway’s best-selling newspaper.

Click HERE to download it for iPhone and iPad from Apple’s App Store, or HERE to get the Android Version from Google Play.

Or purchase the Digital Edition for PC, Mac or Laptop from Pagesuite  HERE.

Get the Connacht Tribune Live app
The Connacht Tribune Live app is the home of everything that is happening in Galway City and county. It’s completely FREE and features all the latest news, sport and information on what’s on in your area. Click HERE to download it for iPhone and iPad from Apple’s App Store, or HERE to get the Android Version from Google Play.

 

Continue Reading

Country Living

Recalling strange times that ‘shook up’ our lives

Published

on

Country Living with Francis Farragher

THE other day while doing another of those clear-outs of old documents that are well past their sell-by-date, I came across a couple of letters from my employer, which jolted me back into another world . . . but still a quite recent one.

Their purpose was to indicate that I needed to show up for work in-person (an essential employee if you don’t mind!) and if I was stopped at a Garda Covid checkpoint, then I could produce this piece of paperwork. We really did go through some strange times.

There are occasions too when I leave my desk and just for a split-second think that I’ve forgotten to don my mask. That same feeling also crosses my mind at times as I enter shops or other public places but then I realise that’s all very much of ‘yesterday’s news’.

Reminders still persist of those black days across the country mostly on visits to healthcare settings like pharmacies, GP surgeries or nursing homes, where staff still wear masks, and visitors are encouraged to do the same.

It takes me back to a Sunday evening on March 15, 2020, in my local watering hole less than 48-hours before the arrival of St. Patrick’s Day, when we were all highly sceptical about any pubs closing down.

We reassured ourselves too that such a development could never happen in a country noted for ‘the craic’ as our traditional day of national celebration approached. In our innocence, we thought we were wise old sods . . . but we had gotten things spectacularly wrong.

For more, read this week’s Connacht Tribune.

Connacht Tribune Digital Edition App

Download the Connacht Tribune Digital Edition App to access to Galway’s best-selling newspaper.

Click HERE to download it for iPhone and iPad from Apple’s App Store, or HERE to get the Android Version from Google Play.

Or purchase the Digital Edition for PC, Mac or Laptop from Pagesuite  HERE.

Get the Connacht Tribune Live app
The Connacht Tribune Live app is the home of everything that is happening in Galway City and county. It’s completely FREE and features all the latest news, sport and information on what’s on in your area. Click HERE to download it for iPhone and iPad from Apple’s App Store, or HERE to get the Android Version from Google Play.

 

Continue Reading

Local Ads

Local Ads

Advertisement
Advertisement

Facebook

Advertisement

Trending