Classifieds Advertise Archive Subscriptions Family Announcements Photos Digital Editions/Apps
Connect with us

Galway Bay FM News Archives

OUTRAGE AT UK’S ‘THE TELEGRAPH’ OVER FAKE STORY RIDICULING CONNEMARA

Bernie Ni Fhlatharta

Published

on

Date Published: 29-Nov-2011

A Connemara Councillor is seeking a full public apology from the UK’s The Telegraph Newspaper after it published a fake story on its website which ridiculed Galway

The respected English broadsheet this week published the article ‘Councillor thought cloud computing depended on rainy weather’

The article describes how a Councillor Seamus Tiernan told an infrastructure meeting that his native Connemara would be ideal for cloud computing because it has heavy cloud for nine months of the year

It goes on to say that the meeting descended into a foul-mouthed slanging match with another Galway councillor Martin Shiels branding the other a ‘feckin eejit’

The article is wrong in that in the Connemara electoral area, there are no elected councillors of these names and no infrastucture committee exists

The article was published on the technology section of the Telegraph website, which gets thousands of hits

It was also tweeted by the TelegraphTech which has 15 thousand followers

Galway Bay fm news contacted the Telegraph by email, tweet and phone and was told they were very busy and could not deal with this issue at present

There was also no explanation as to how such a fabricated piece made it onto the website

The article was taken down after Galway Bay fm news contacted The Telegraph

Connemara Councillor Thomas Welby says the Telegraph has a lot to answer for

Galway Bay FM News Archives

Visiting restrictions lifted at UHG following vomiting bug outbreak

Bernie Ni Fhlatharta

Published

on

Date Published: 08-May-2013

Visiting restrictions have been lifted at University Hospital Galway following an outbreak of the winter vomiting virus.

The restrictions had been in place on impacted wards since April 22nd.

Ann Cosgrove, General Manager at Galway University Hospitals says visiting restrictions are now being lifted as the outbreak is considered to be over.

However she warns that there are signs that the Winter Vomiting Virus is still active in the community.

 

Continue Reading

Galway Bay FM News Archives

Two men before courts over county grow houses

Bernie Ni Fhlatharta

Published

on

Date Published: 10-May-2013

Two Asian men have appeared in court for sentence in connection with the discovery of cannabis "grow houses" in Tuam and Loughrea last year.

They appeared before Galway Circuit court.

Vietnamese national, 48 year old Hai Fam pleaded guilty before Galway Circuit Court to the possession and cultivation of 189 cannabis plants worth €151,000 at a dormer bungalow at Raheen Oughter, Loughrea on August 28 last year.

In a separate case, Malaysian national, 34 year old Lim Chun Wan, pleaded guilty to the cultivation of 360 cannabis plants worth €288,000 at another rurally located house at Riverview, Corbally, Tuam on June 2 last year.

Judge Rory McCabe said an appropriate sentence in Hai Fam’s case was five years.

He put a stay on the order until next Wednesday to give the accused time to prove his travel arrangements.

He sentenced Lim Chun Wan to seven years in prison, given the greater value of plants found in his care.

He directed the remainder of the men’s sentences be suspended on their leaving this jurisdiction and warned them that if they ever returned to Ireland they would serve the balance of their sentence.

Continue Reading

Galway Bay FM News Archives

City arthouse cinema granted 200 thousand euro

Bernie Ni Fhlatharta

Published

on

Date Published: 14-May-2013

Galway City Council has agreed to provide 200 thousand euro in funding to the Art House cinema project.

It’s being termed as a final allocation, to be donated over four years, and is subject to the project securing further finance from the Western Development Commission.

The decision was made at last evening’s city council meeting where representatives of Solas explained how they are attempting to bridge a shortfall in funding to bring the building to completion.

The City Council acquired the site for the Art House Cinema on Merchants Road at a cost of 1.8 million euro, and donated it by way of long term lease.

Construction has been plagued with difficulties, however it’s now hoped the building will be completed this Autumn, and could be open by early 2014.

Continue Reading

Local Ads

Local Ads

Advertisement
Advertisement

Facebook

Advertisement

Trending