Galway Bay fm newsroom – 100 submissions have been received from the public on the future of the airstrips at Inishbofin and Cleggan.
The airstrips were developed and completed in 2009 with government funding with the original objective of scheduled air services to Inishbofin.
A public consultation process got underway earlier this year with submissions being sought until last Friday on suggestions for the future use of the sites.
Galway West Fianna Fail TD Eamon O’Cuiv has previously said it’s essential that the airstrips are retained as airfields so that connectivity is not lost.
He called on the Gaeltacht Minister, Galway West TD Sean Kyne, to ensure any future agreement would allow for the continued use of the sites as landing pads for the coastguard.
In a statement to Galway Bay fm news, Minister Kyne says 100 submissions have been received by his department.
The submissions are being analysed, and Minister Kyne will then receive a briefing on their contents.
242 new cases of Covid-19 nationwide
Listen: Donagh Killilea elected new Cathaoirleach of Tuam municipal district
Galway Bay fm newsroom – Councillor Donagh Killilea has been elected as the new Cathaoirleach of the Tuam municipal district.
He replaces Councillor Joe Sheridan in the position, and was elected unanimously at a meeting of the district this afternoon.
Fianna Fáil Councillor Killilea outlines his priorities over the coming term:
Minister says alternative bus service possible on Gort to Galway route
Galway Bay fm newsroom – The National Transport Authority has stated that private bus companies can operate on the Gort to Galway bus route.
Minister of State and Galway East TD Anne Rabbitte has received confirmation from the NTA that commercial bus operators can submit licence applications for the route at anytime.
It comes after Bus Éireann’s decision to cancel its evening service on the Galway to Cork Expressway 51 route – leaving passengers travelling to south Galway with no access to a public bus service after the last bus departs the city at 5:05pm.
The NTA has stated that potential applications will be considered based on the potential demand for the service with regards to the needs of consumers and any public services on or in the vicinity of the route.
Minister Rabbitte argues the decision by Bus Éireann has placed limitations on students, workers and general commuters travelling out of the city.
She is encouraging commercial bus operators to make an application and provide the vital service for commuters in the county.
To hear more, tune into Galway Bay fm news.