Classifieds Advertise Archive Subscriptions Family Announcements Photos Digital Editions/Apps
Connect with us

Archive News

October 6, 2011

Bernie Ni Fhlatharta

Published

on

Date Published: {J}

1911

Shooting outrage

A shooting outrage in connection with the boycott of a man named John Burke, of Currandrum, is reported here. On last night it would appear that a Mrs. Moran, of Anbally, the wife of a workman of Burke’s, was fired at by some person unknown.

It is stated that at about 7.30pm, Mrs Moran heard a knock at the door, and on going to see who was there, could see nobody. She then went a little distance out on the roadway leading to the house, and as she was returning, shots were fired from between two stacks in the haggard, some of the grains lodging in her arm and head.

The woman is not at present in a critical condition. It will be remembered that in connection with the boycott of Burke, a police transport car from Tuam was fired at some time ago. Burke and his workmen for some time have been under police protection, but, owing to the railway strike, the usual protection on this night was not available.

Racecourse row

It looks as if the public may have to pay dearly for the melee between the police and people on the last day of Ballybrit Races. At the Galway Rural District Council meeting on Saturday, Mr. Michael McNeill, J.P., Co.C. (Chairman), presiding, notice was received from two of the policemen who were injured during the row of their intentions to apply for heavy compensation at the coming Quarter Sessions.

John Connell, a peace officer, was maimed at Ballybrit, in the County District of Galway, is seeking £1,000 as compensation. Constable Lavin, who was with Head-Constable Connell, is claiming the amount of £700.

Strike ends

On Thursday morning, it was announced that the railway strike had come to an end. On Wednesday, a train ran into Tuam at 3.30pm – the first for a fortnight. A very large crowd was present at the station, and manifested their delight at the settlement of the dispute.

Immediately on the arrival of the train, two soldiers, who travelled in the next compartment to the engine, stationed themselves beside the engine with fixed bayonets, but their services were happily unnecessary.

1936

Criminal gang

Addressing three boys who stood before him at Galway Circuit Court on Tuesday on housebreaking charges, his lordship, Judge Wyse Power, said: “I believe you three form the nucleus of a criminal gang that has got to be broken up, and broken up here and now today. I do not believe poverty is the cause of your downfall. There are hundreds of young boys of your age and station in Galway who are able to enjoy life and still remain honest.

The boys were charged with a whole series of burglaries across Galway. Mr. J.C. Conroy, B.L., said the three accused were first cousins and sons of respectable working people. The families held very respectable names in the city, and there was nothing against them. Whether the boys were influenced by the pictures or not, he could not say. The materials taken by the boys had been returned.

His lordship: What you mean is that the guards found it on them.

Mr. Gavin, on behalf of the 17 year-old boy, said boys of that age were more or less susceptible to what they saw in the pictures. He had been more or less induced to commit these offences. By reason of the extreme poverty in which some people live, and their extreme poverty, they had not the chance of ordinary people.

His lordship ordered that two of the defendants be detained at Clonmel Borstal Institution for three years. The oldest of the gang should feel some shame. He had been concerned in an attempt to rob a safe that it was a serious offence. His lordship sentenced him to six calendar months’ imprisonment with hard labour.

Foreign games

Galway County Council at their special meeting on Saturday, had a long discussion on the playing of Irish and foreign games in western schools and college. It was asked could the Council send scholarship holders to colleges in which foreign games were played.

The secretary said that none of the schools in which foreign games were played was on the list of schools approved for scholarship holders. It was not definitely stated that a scholarship holder could not go to a school in which foreign games were played because the Minister could not allow them to make that condition.

For more, read this week’s Connacht Tribune.

Galway in Days Gone By

The way we were – Protecting archives of our past

Judy Murphy

Published

on

A photo of Galway city centre from the county council's archives

People’s living conditions less than 100 years ago were frightening. We have come a long way. We talk about water charges today, but back then the local District Councils were erecting pumps for local communities and the lovely town of Mountbellew, according to Council minutes, had open sewers,” says Galway County Council archivist Patria McWalter.

Patria believes we “need to take pride in our history, and we should take the same pride in our historical records as we do in our built heritage”. When you see the wealth of material in her care, this belief makes sense.

She is in charge of caring for the rich collection of administrative records owned by Galway County Council and says “these records are as much part of our history as the Rock of Cashel is. They document our lives and our ancestors’ lives. And nobody can plan for the future unless you learn from the past, what worked and what didn’t”.

Archivists and librarians are often unfairly regarded as being dry, academic types, but that’s certainly not true of Patria. Her enthusiasm is infectious as she turns the pages of several minute books from Galway’s Rural District Councils, all of them at least 100 years old.

Part of her role involved cataloguing all the records of the Councils – Ballinasloe, Clifden, Galway, Gort, Loughrea, Mountbellew, Portumna and Tuam. These records mostly consisted of minutes of various meetings.

When she was cataloguing them she realised their worth to local historians and researchers, so she decided to compile a guide to their content. The result is For the Record: The Archives of Galway’s Rural District Councils, which will be a valuable asset to anybody with an interest in history.

Many representatives on these Councils were local personalities and several were arrested during the political upheaval of the era, she explains.

And, ushering in a new era in history, women were allowed to sit on these Rural District Councils – at the time they were not allowed to sit on County Councils.

All of this information is included in Patria’s introductory essay to the attractively produced A4 size guide, which gives a glimpse into how these Rural Councils operated and the way political thinking changed in Ireland during a short 26-year period. In the early 1900s, these Councils supported Home Rule, but by 1920, they were calling for full independence and refusing to recognise the British administration.

“I love the tone,” says Patria of the minutes from meetings. “The language was very emotive.”

That was certainly true of the Gort Rural District Council. At a meeting in 1907, following riots in Dublin at the premiere of JM Synge’s play, The Playboy of the Western World the councillors’ response was vehement. They recorded their decision to “protest most emphatically against the libellous comedy, The Playboy of the Western World, that was belched forth during the past week in the Abbey Theatre, Dublin, under the fostering care of Lady Gregory and Mr Yeats. We congratulate the good people of Dublin in howling down the gross buffoonery and immoral suggestions that are scattered throughout this scandalous performance.

 

For more from the archives see this week’s Tribunes here

Continue Reading

Archive News

Moment of truth for Galway U21s

Bernie Ni Fhlatharta

Published

on

Date Published: 01-May-2013

 Dara Bradley

FOUR matches, four victories, one after extra-time, a Connacht title, four goals and 56 points scored, four goals and 30 points conceded, a heap of wides from their opponents, sinews strained, buckets of sweat and blood spilled.

It’s been one hell of a roller coaster campaign for the Galway U21 footballers but all that will be forgotten come 7pm on Saturday evening at the Gaelic Grounds, Limerick when they cross swords with Cork for the honour of being crowned Cadbury’s All-Ireland champions.

Six weeks ago as Galway set out on their 2013 U21 journey against Sligo in Tuam, the May Bank Holiday weekend final was always the target. They took each game as it came and now it has come down to this – 60 minutes of football to decide who the best U21 team in the land is.

And while there were times along the way when Alan Flynn’s charges looked like they’d fall off the wagon, against Mayo, against Roscommon and again against Kildare, Galway showed resilience and mental strength to time and again bounce back and defy the odds. Often down, never out. It is that perseverance that will stand to Galway in the heat of battle this weekend.

Cork has won an All-Ireland at this grade more times than any other county since the competition’s inception in the 1960s. The most recent of their 11 titles was won in 2009, and they’ve claimed a three-in-a-row of Munster titles with a defeat of Tipperary last month.

Interestingly, five players – Alan Cronin, Jamie Wall, John O’Rourke, Tom Clancy and Damien Cahalene, the son of former inter-county player Niall – that are expected to start this Saturday lined out in each of the last three Munster finals, so they have experience of playing in the pressure cauldrons.

Galway aren’t as experienced. True, a couple of players already have a All-Ireland medal from 2011 – a year Galway beat Cork in the semi-final – but there are a lot of young guns in the panel. Of the squad of 33, about 19 of them are young enough to play U21 next year as well, while eight or nine of the starting 15 will be eligible next year, although you wouldn’t think it given the levelheadedness they’ve displayed throughout the past six weeks.

Galway had plenty to spare over a hapless Sligo outfit in Tuam the first day out, winning by 16 points, which didn’t flatter them, but old rivals Mayo in the following game at the same venue was a different story. After a tense and tight hour of fare, Galway took the spoils after showing immense character to dig it out by two points in a dogfight, 0-9 to 0-7.

Fighting qualities were needed again in the Connacht final in Hyde Park against Roscommon – Galway were minutes from being knocked out of the championship when a heroic comeback, three points in as many minutes from Kilkerrin/Clonberne’s Shane Walsh, rescued extra-time, a period which Galway never looked like losing.

The Tribesmen took their chances when they presented themselves, a trait that also saw them knock-out Kieran McGeeney’s highly rated and much fancied Kildare outfit in a thriller at Tullamore a fortnight ago.

The Lilywhites were wasteful, true, but that’s their problem, and Galway just had too much natural footballing class to take their chances and emerge with a deserved five points, 2-10 to 2-5 victory, despite 19 wides from the vanquished.

For more, read this week’s Connacht Tribune.

Continue Reading

Archive News

GalwayÕs U-13 and U-16 sides both through to national finals

Bernie Ni Fhlatharta

Published

on

Date Published: 14-May-2013

Mike Rafferty

It proved to be a very successful weekend for Galway Schoolboy soccer as two representative sides qualified for national finals at the end of the month.

It was drama all the way in Eamonn Deacy Park on Saturday afternoon as the U-13 side drew 1-1 with the Midlands League, but came through the dreaded penalty shootout to prevail by 5-4.

 

Meanwhile the U-16 side had to travel to Cork, where they emerged 2-1 winners following a very impressive performance. For the second game in succession, it was the goals of the Connolly brothers that proved crucial to both team’s success.

Andrew lines out with the U-16 side and he notched both their scores in terrific away win, while younger brother Aaron was on target for the U-13 side and also converted the winning spot kick.

Mervue United captured a third consecutive Connacht Youth Cup with an impressive 4-1 win over Castlebar Celtic in Milebush on Saturday.

SFAI U-13 INTER LEAGUE SEMI FINAL

Galway League 1

Midlands League 1

(AET-Galway won 5-4 on pens)

A low scoring contest might indicate few chances, but one has to credit two outstanding defences whose splendid covering and marshalling of the front men was a joy to watch.

Galway’s Oisin McDonagh and Adam Rooney never put a foot wrong in central defence, while full-backs Byron Lydon and Matthew Tierney were equally efficient in defence, and getting forward with regular forays.

Further afield, they matched the visitors in terms of intensity and creativity and in the second half in particular should have pulled away from a Midlands side that won the U-12 national title last year.

The visitors certainly offered the greater attacking threat in the opening half, but found home custodian Mark Greaney in top form. Galway’s best chance fell to Joshua Quinlivan, but he pulled an effort wide of the target.

For more, read this week’s Connacht Sentinel.

Continue Reading

Local Ads

Local Ads

Advertisement
Advertisement

Facebook

Advertisement

Trending