Classifieds Advertise Archive Subscriptions Family Announcements Photos Digital Editions/Apps
Connect with us

News

Number of Garda cars in city down by one third

Published

on

Shock new figures which show a 37% decrease in the number of Garda vehicles in Galway in just three years have led to calls for greater resources to be given to members of the force in the city.

Cllr Donal Lyons (Independent) said figures released by the Minister for Justice and Equality, Alan Shatter, correspond with his own findings that there were now just five vehicles available to Salthill Gardaí compared to 11 two years ago.

The figures, revealed in a Dáil reply to Deputy Noel Grealish (Independent), show that there are almost 30 fewer vehicles available to Gardaí in Galway West than three years ago.

Minister Shatter revealed that there were just 49 vehicles available to members of the force in the division at the end of January compared to 77 in 2011.

Although a new fleet of Garda cars arrived at the end of last year, Cllr Lyons said it was clear that Gardaí in Salthill and Galway had far fewer cars at their disposal than three or four years ago.

He said confirmation that there were fewer cars available came at a time of “serious concern” that the number of burglaries in Salthill and Knocknacarra was on the rise.

“Over the past six months there has been a spate of burglaries, attempted burglaries, break-in to cars and theft of personal property in the west of the city,” Cllr Lyons told the Galway City Tribune yesterday.

“I am led to believe that the number of Garda vehicles is now at an all-time low. I understand that two years ago there were 11 Garda cars available to the Salthill District. This is now down to five cars, with one of those based in the Aran Islands. This level of patrol cars available is far below what would be considered minimal policing requirements,” he said.

Cllr Lyons said the number of patrol cars being decommissioned after clocking up 300,000kms greatly exceeded the number of new vehicles being allocated to members of the force in the city.

“From my point of view, it is essential that the shortage of Garda cars be addressed in Galway West,” he said.

Cllr Lyons said confirmation of the decline in the number of patrol cars available came amid increasing concerns over house burglaries in Salthill and Knocknacarra – he received reports of seven burglaries in the west of the city last weekend.

“These figures came from Minister Shatter, not Donal Lyons or Noel Grealish,” said Cllr Lyons. “There is a need for the Garda Commissioner to increase the number of cars in Galway West as a matter of urgency.”

A Garda spokesman said 11 new cars had been earmarked for Galway West this year and three of those had been deployed to the city since the start of this month.

Minister Shatter said that €5 million had been spent on the purchase of 305 new Garda vehicles at the end of last year.

He told the Dáil on Tuesday that €18m would be spent on the entire Garda fleet in the three years from 2012 to 2014.

“This represents a very considerable financial investment in Garda transport, particularly at a time when the level of funding available across the public sector is severely limited,” added Minister Shatter.

He said the allocation of vehicles in each area is a matter for the Divisional Officer, to ensure the continued delivery of an effective policing service.

Connacht Tribune

All out in force to cheer home one of their own

Published

on

Fiona Murtagh…back home with her Olympic medal on Sunday. Photo: Joe O’Shaughnessy.

Sitting on an airplane, mid-air from Japan en route to Dublin, Olympic bronze medallist from Moycullen, Fiona Murtagh was unsure whether anyone would be at the airport to meet her and teammates Aifric Keogh of Na Forbacha, Eimear Lambe and Emily Hegarty when they touched down.

Because of Covid-19 restrictions, there was no big welcoming party planned for Dublin Airport. But Fiona need not have worried; as she strode out of airport security and into Arrivals, all her family were there to hug her.

Fiona hadn’t seen her parents Marguerite and Noel since April because of a pre-Olympic training camp in Italy; and her siblings Pádraig, Lorraine and twin Alan all turned up, too.

“Oh my God, I couldn’t believe it. It was actually really emotional, it was so lovely. I didn’t expect the full family to be there. Tears came to my eyes. I hadn’t seen mom and my dad in seven weeks,” said Fiona.

That was just the first leg of what was to be a heart-warming homecoming for a hero.

The family drove back to Galway with Fiona, who had heard “through the grapevine that there was going to be something in Bushypark”.

“But the scale of it, I didn’t expect it at all, it was incredible, it was so lovely to see everyone come out and support and see me”, she said.

Read the full story over eleven pages of coverage on the homecoming of our Olympic heroes in this week’s Connacht Tribune, on sale now – or you can download the digital edition from www.connachttribune.ie

Continue Reading

Connacht Tribune

Rowing heroes reunited for special day to savour

Published

on

Hero’s homecoming…Aifric Keogh with her parents Susan and Jim Keogh. Photo: Joe O’Shaughnessy.

About halfway through her homecoming on Bank Holiday Monday, Aifric Keogh spotted a very familiar face in the crowd lining the road.

It was her fellow Olympic medallist Fiona Murtagh from Moycullen, whom she’d soldiered with in Tokyo days earlier to win bronze in the Women’s Coxless Fours final.

Fiona was outside Furbo Church with her boyfriend, on the way to Pádraicín’s to meet mates. The plan was to watch Aifric’s open-top bus and cavalcade pass-by. Fiona had no intention of joining in – but she had no choice.

“When I looked down and saw Fiona, she was laughing at me, waving up. So, I made the bus stop and dragged her up there beside me,” laughed Aifric.

It meant that those turning out on the second leg of the journey from Na Forbacha to An Spidéal and back again, got two Olympic legends for the price of one!

“I made her come up with me. And then we were driving through Spiddal and we actually drove passed her aunt’s house, so her aunt and cousins and mom were outside waving up at us. It was really nice for us to be so close together here in Galway,” said Aifric.

That was just one of several special moments from a homecoming the 28-year-old rower will treasure.

Whereas Fiona came back to Conamara straight from Dublin Airport, and had a hero’s welcome in Moycullen on Sunday, Aifric stayed in Dublin on Sunday, driving down the following morning.

As she passed through Barna on the way to her parents’ house in Aill an Phréacháin in Na Forbacha, she could see flags, bunting and bonfires being prepared for her official drive-through later that evening. But what she witnessed on that journey to the home house of her parents, Jim and Susan, didn’t prepare her for the size of turnout.

“It was amazing. I didn’t know what to expect. Obviously, I was expecting some of my friends and family but seeing so many people from Spiddal, Barna and Furbo coming out along the road the whole way was just crazy,” she said.

Read the full story over eleven pages of coverage on the homecoming of our Olympic heroes in this week’s Connacht Tribune, on sale now – or you can download the digital edition from www.connachttribune.ie

Continue Reading

Connacht Tribune

Saw Doctors sell out – to shoot back into the charts!

Published

on

Saw Doctors...as they were in the early days (from left) Leo Moran, Pearse Doherty, John 'Turps' Burke, Davy Carton and (front) Johnny Donnelly.

It’s official – the Saw Doctors have finally sold out. Because, as of this week, it’s impossible for fans to get their hands on a copy of the Galway band’s iconic first album, remastered 30 years on from its original incarnation.

The good news is that the band are now going to do a fourth vinyl pressing of ‘If This is Rock And Roll, I Want My Old Job Back’ – but given the global renaissance in vinyl, it will be the beginning of September before they’ll be for sale.

So far, the album has sold all 1,500 copies pressed – and that has increased hopes of the band playing live again, once pandemic restrictions are eased, according to the band’s manager Ollie Jennings.

“A guy called Simon Moran is the biggest music promoter in the UK; he’s based in Manchester and he’s worked with Peter Kay in the past, who got him into the Saw Doctors.

“He has, twice in the last six months, written personal emails begging the band to tour the UK,” he says.

And that’s not some vanity project, because he knows that – the last time the Saw Docs played in the UK in 2017 – they did 20 shows that drew 30,000 fans.

“We sold out the Manchester Apollo with 4,000; we sold out two nights at Glasgow’s Barrowlands with 4,000 each night. He knows we will do the business,” says Ollie.

Up to now, the prospects of another tour seemed remote – but the success of the album has rekindled the Saw Doctors, and something magical happened when the band got together to sign the rereleased LP.

“It was a wonderful afternoon in Leo’s house in Tuam; loads of laughs and old stories; just magic – it was like being back in 1990 or 1991 again,” says Ollie.

Read the full story in this week’s Connacht Tribune, on sale now – or you can download the digital edition from www.connachttribune.ie

Continue Reading

Local Ads

Local Ads

Advertisement
Advertisement

Facebook

Advertisement

Trending