Galway Bay fm newsroom – NUI Galway has set up a helpline after records have revealed that 35 infant remains from Galway hospitals were used for doctors’ training at the university for a period up until the mid-1960s.
Data provided by the Anatomical Committee of Irish Medical Schools shows that 474 unclaimed infant remains were tranferred to various Anatomy Departments nationwide.
Records show NUI Galway received a total of 35 infant remains from Central Hospital Galway and Regional Hospital Galway.
27 of these were transferred to the university from 1960 to 1964, 7 from 1940 to 1949 and 1 from 1950 to 1959.
Baby remains were also transferred to UCD, Trinity College Dublin and the Royal College of Surgeons in Dublin.
This practice then ceased in the mid-1960s, following a public campaign by a group of anatomy professors to encourage public donation.
The university has now set up a public information helpline for those who wish to enquire about the transfer of remains during the period.
The number is 091 49 33 61.
City Council votes to take roads at Doughiska estate in charge
Galway Bay fm newsroom – Galway City Council has agreed to take two roads at a Doughiska estate in charge.
Councillors have voted unanimously in favour of taking over the management of the roads at Fionnuisce.
It comes as last year an application calling for the City Council to takeover the roads was made by the Local Authority on behalf of residents from the estate.
The City Council has confirmed that 61% of residents voted in favour of the proposal, while 10 submissions were made on the plan – one by a residents group, one by a local elected representative and eight by local residents – all in favour of the proposal.
With the agreement by Councillors, the Local Authority will now manage almost 400 metres of road space, including open public spaces, within the Fionnuisce estate.
Non-urgent elective surgeries cancelled at UHG as overcrowding continues
Galway Bay fm newsroom – Some non-urgent elective surgeries are being cancelled at UHG in a bid to tackle severe overcrowding at the city hospital.
It follows the issuing of a warning from the Saolta Hospital Group that the emergency department is extremely busy and there is ongoing pressure on bed availability.
General Manager at UHG, Chris Kane, says over 500 people presented at the hospital on Monday and Tuesday.
She says the overcrowding situation is very serious, particularly in relation to the ED, the Surgical Unit and the Acute Medical Assessment Unit.
Members of the public are urged to only attend the hospital in the case of emergency, and contact their GP or out-of-hours service if their health problem is not urgent.
Saolta is also reminding the public that the Injury Unit at Roscommon University Hospital is open from 8am to 8pm, 7 days a week, to treat adults and children over 5.
Speaking to Keith Finnegan on Galway Talks, Chris Kane said the current level of patients presenting is extremely high and “unusual” for this time of year.
She also noted there’s also been a rise in patients being treated for Covid-19, including in the ICU.
To hear more, tune into Galway Bay fm news.
Walk-in vaccination centres to open at Ballybrit and Clifden this weekend
Galway Bay fm newsroom – Walk-in vaccination centres are to be in operation in Ballybrit and Clifden from this weekend.
The HSE has revealed the details of the locations of all the walk-in vaccination centres on their website.
The Clifden satellite vaccination base will be open for walk-ins at Clifden Community School and the Galway Racecourse base will also take walk-ins.
A number will open nationwide this weekend for those over the age of 16.
It comes as 70% of the adult population is now fully vaccinated against Covid 19 and 85 per cent have received their first dose.
Health Minister, Stephen Donnelly, says those attending do not need an appointment.