Classifieds Advertise Archive Subscriptions Family Announcements Photos Digital Editions/Apps
Connect with us

Sports

No date for hurling draws

Published

on

THE County Committee meeting – originally scheduled for March 18 – will be brought forward to next Monday night in an effort to bring closure to the recent controversy regarding the senior and intermediate club hurling championships.

Following a CCCC meeting on Tuesday, the decision was taken by Committee Chairman Noel Treacy – as was his prerogative – to reschedule the meeting “in order to bring clarity and closure to the recent issues and doubts surrounding the club championship competitions”.

Galway’s senior and intermediate hurling championships, along with a number of other competitions, were thrown into chaos after an objection from the Moycullen club forced the Hurling Committee to abandon their scheduled championship draws, which were to be aired live on Galway Bay FM last Thursday night.

It is understood Moycullen, relegated from senior last year, lodged an objection against the draws proceeding as the competition match regulations for 2014 had not been approved by the Galway County Committee – as should be the case under bye-law 22.

Consequently, the 2014 U-21 hurling championship draws, which had been made, will possibly have to be redone while the move also cast doubts over Galway’s Gaelic football competitions, in which a number of U-21 games have already been played.

However, Galway GAA Secretary John Hynes says he does not believe the football competitions will be affected by this latest controversy as the match regulations had been discussed at Football Committee level and had been subsequently endorsed by the CCCC.

“The Football Committee had reviewed their championships at a Football Committee meeting and discussed their match regulations at the start of the year and these were approved by the CCCC,” said Hynes.

“They still have to get approval from the County Committee and this will be done on Monday night. So, I suppose, for them, it was in transition. It’s a case of ‘once bitten, twice shy’.

“However, there is no problem with the football because they had discussed them at Committee level and I don’t think the same can be said about the hurling.”

This latest debacle arises out of on-going concerns relating to the structure of the Galway senior hurling championship over the past three years. Hynes explains there are two distinct issues at play here.

“The first issue relates to the senior structure or format. There were questions raised at the County Convention by the Athenry club in relation to rule 6.20, paragraph 3, that when it comes to a county championship, a county can organise a bye in the first round but after that any other bye needs approval from Central Council if it is to comply with rule.

“We knew this last year and, as a result, we checked it out with the Rules Advisory Committee who recommended we send it on to Central Council for approval. And this was approved on February 21,” outlined Hynes, who said the second issue relates to match regulations.

 

For more, read this week’s Connacht Tribune.

Connacht Tribune

Corofin boys miss a lot but still claim U19 A title glory

Published

on

Brian Cogger of Corofin gives chase to Mark Mannion of Salthill/Knocknacarra during Saturday's County U19 A Football Final at Tuam Stadium.

Corofin 1-10

Salthill-Knocknacarra 0-7

Pádraic Ó Ciardha at Tuam Stadium

COROFIN came out the right side of a closely-fought contest with Salthill-Knocknacarra to claim the U19 A Football County Championship in Tuam last Saturday. There was never more than a score between the sides until the 60th minute when a late 1-1 from substitute Finn McIntyre made sure of the win for Corofin.

While it was nip and tuck for most of the hour, few would argue that Corofin weren’t worthy winners on the day. Mike Nolan’s side were dominant in the crucial final quarter and that superiority would have been more evident on the scoreboard had they not racked up ten wides in the second half alone.

Karl Nolan and, in particular, Patrick Egan provided an excellent platform at midfield for Corofin to take a firm grip of proceedings while Gavin Kelly, Brian Cogger, Cian Murphy and Daithí Killilea pulled the strings in attack. Defensively, they were also extremely solid with Eoin Brady, Cormac Greaney, Bernard Coen and captain Josh McHugh leading the charge.

Salthill-Knocknacarra enjoyed good spells midway through both halves but they just couldn’t get a hold of enough possession to get full value out of what is undoubtedly a talented bunch. Their full-forward line alone contains Charlie Power and Matthew Thompson, both of whom featured in the Senior County Final, while the third of the trio, Mark Mannion, was an All-Ireland Minor winner this year. All three were forced to live off scraps in this one, however.

For more, read this week’s Connacht Tribune.

Connacht Tribune Digital Edition App

Download the Connacht Tribune Digital Edition App to access to Galway’s best-selling newspaper.

Click HERE to download it for iPhone and iPad from Apple’s App Store, or HERE to get the Android Version from Google Play.

Or purchase the Digital Edition for PC, Mac or Laptop from Pagesuite  HERE.

Get the Connacht Tribune Live app
The Connacht Tribune Live app is the home of everything that is happening in Galway City and county. It’s completely FREE and features all the latest news, sport and information on what’s on in your area. Click HERE to download it for iPhone and iPad from Apple’s App Store, or HERE to get the Android Version from Google Play.

 

Continue Reading

Connacht Tribune

Battling Killimor run out of gas late on in thrilling final

Published

on

Killimor's Liam Fahy who performed well at centre back in their Connacht Club Intermediate Hurling Final defeat to Tooreen of Mayo in Athleague on Sunday.

Tooreen 0-22

Killimor 1-15

Ivan Smyth in Athleague

A gutsy Killimor side fell just short in their search for a first Connacht Intermediate crown as they were undone by Mayo outfit Tooreen in a rip roaring affair on Sunday.

With St. Thomas’ and Loughrea locking horns in Pearse Stadium at the same time these two outfits were going toe to toe, the action in Athleague certainly didn’t disappoint. In the end, Tooreen managed to fire over six of the last seven scores to seal this win after Killimor had led 1-14 to 0-16 with 53 minutes on the clock.

Tooreen used all their experience late on as midfielder Shane Kenny fired four points without reply to give his side the initiative. Although Killimor were reduced to 14 men after Kevin Hanney saw red after an off-the-ball altercation approaching the four minutes of injury time, they still clung on to their opponent’s coat tails. Jack O’Meara managed to break through on goal before he was cynically hauled down as Eoin Horan stroked over a free.

Even though Cathal Freeman angled over an excellent score to push Tooreen’s lead to three, Killimor dug in as they carved out one last chance. O’Meara fielded a Naise Muldoon line ball ahead of three Tooreen defenders but once more he was hauled down for a 20m free. Killimor ‘keeper Seán O’Grady strode up but with eight Tooreen men on the line he faced an arduous task to find the net, with his opposite number Bobby Douglas saving his rasping effort.

For more, read this week’s Connacht Tribune.

Connacht Tribune Digital Edition App

Download the Connacht Tribune Digital Edition App to access to Galway’s best-selling newspaper.

Click HERE to download it for iPhone and iPad from Apple’s App Store, or HERE to get the Android Version from Google Play.

Or purchase the Digital Edition for PC, Mac or Laptop from Pagesuite  HERE.

Get the Connacht Tribune Live app
The Connacht Tribune Live app is the home of everything that is happening in Galway City and county. It’s completely FREE and features all the latest news, sport and information on what’s on in your area. Click HERE to download it for iPhone and iPad from Apple’s App Store, or HERE to get the Android Version from Google Play.

 

Continue Reading

Connacht Tribune

Kilkerrin/Clonberne hold all the aces in big semis victory

Published

on

Kilkerrin/Clonberne's Lynsey Noone getting the better of Ballymacarbry Gretta Nugent during Saturday's All-Ireland Club Ladies Football semi-final at Fraher Field in Dungarvan. Photos: Matt Browne/Sportsfile.

Kilkerrin/Clonberne 2-10

Ballymacarbry 0-2

John McIntyre in Dungarvan

IN this kind of foul weather in late November – a swirling wind and sweeping rain – anything can happen. It tends to bring average teams closer to good ones, but that wasn’t the script in Dungarvan on Saturday.

It wouldn’t have mattered if there was snow on the ground or this All-Ireland Club ladies football semi-final was played in a farmer’s thistle-smothered haggard, the result would have been still the same such was the gulf in standard between the teams.

Long before the end of a one-sided encounter, Ballymacarbry – the one time aristocrats of ladies club football – were left bewildered by the sheer pace and quality of the All-Ireland champions. On their journey to a remarkable 41st consecutive Waterford title and a first provincial crown since 2002, they hadn’t encountered anything like Kilkerrin/Clonberne.

Winners of ten All-Ireland titles over a 12-year period between 1987 and 1998, Ballmacarbry’s tradition alone would have entitled them to huge respect, but this was a rude awakening for the Waterford outfit on home turf.

They didn’t manage a solitary score in the opening half and only a brace of points from interval substitute Maeve Ryan saved them from an embarrassing blank. Ballymacarbry were simply out of their depth.

In contrast, Kilkerrin/Clonberne embellished their reputation as the top force on the club scene with a swashbuckling display in tough conditions. Willie Ward’s charges were streets ahead in terms of conditioning, mobility and the intensity they brought to the exchanges.

For more, read this week’s Connacht Tribune.

Connacht Tribune Digital Edition App

Download the Connacht Tribune Digital Edition App to access to Galway’s best-selling newspaper.

Click HERE to download it for iPhone and iPad from Apple’s App Store, or HERE to get the Android Version from Google Play.

Or purchase the Digital Edition for PC, Mac or Laptop from Pagesuite  HERE.

Get the Connacht Tribune Live app
The Connacht Tribune Live app is the home of everything that is happening in Galway City and county. It’s completely FREE and features all the latest news, sport and information on what’s on in your area. Click HERE to download it for iPhone and iPad from Apple’s App Store, or HERE to get the Android Version from Google Play.

 

 

Continue Reading

Local Ads

Local Ads

Advertisement
Advertisement

Facebook

Advertisement

Trending