Classifieds Advertise Archive Subscriptions Family Announcements Photos Digital Editions/Apps
Connect with us

Galway Bay FM News Archives

NO BREAKTHROUGH IN HUNT FOR MANUELA’S MURDERER

Bernie Ni Fhlatharta

Published

on

Date Published: 15-Oct-2007

This evening marks the one week anniversary of the vicious murder in Renmore of language student Manuela Riedo from Switzerland.

With this in mind Gardaí are anxious to make a breakthrough in the hunt for the killer of the 17 year old.

Gardaí are continuing to piece together Manuela’s last movements and say a text she sent to her mother shortly after she was last seen is proving helpful.

Speaking to Galway Bay Fm news senior Garda sources say, that contrary to weekend newspaper reports there has not been any major DNA breakthrough in the investigation.

They also say that it is difficult to say if there is any link between Manuela’s brutal killing and a number of other alleged sexual assaults in the city.

Garda chiefs add while no major breakthough has yet been made they feel the seven day investigation is progressing satisfactorily.

It’s now thought Manuela Riedo’s funeral will take place in her home town in Switzerland on Thursday.

A member of staff from Galway Language Centre at Mill Street, where Manuela had registered for her two week English course, will attend the removal at Hinterkappelan, near Berne, on Thursday.

He will present Manuela’s mother Arlette and her father Hans, with the books of condolence which have been signed in Galway.

The latest book of Condolences to open is in Galway Cathedral and at Joyce’s supermarket in Knocknacarra.

This morning Galway West Fine Gael Senator Fidelma Healy Eames called on Galway City Council to open a book a condolences at official city level.

Galway Bay FM News Archives

Visiting restrictions lifted at UHG following vomiting bug outbreak

Bernie Ni Fhlatharta

Published

on

Date Published: 08-May-2013

Visiting restrictions have been lifted at University Hospital Galway following an outbreak of the winter vomiting virus.

The restrictions had been in place on impacted wards since April 22nd.

Ann Cosgrove, General Manager at Galway University Hospitals says visiting restrictions are now being lifted as the outbreak is considered to be over.

However she warns that there are signs that the Winter Vomiting Virus is still active in the community.

 

Continue Reading

Galway Bay FM News Archives

Two men before courts over county grow houses

Bernie Ni Fhlatharta

Published

on

Date Published: 10-May-2013

Two Asian men have appeared in court for sentence in connection with the discovery of cannabis "grow houses" in Tuam and Loughrea last year.

They appeared before Galway Circuit court.

Vietnamese national, 48 year old Hai Fam pleaded guilty before Galway Circuit Court to the possession and cultivation of 189 cannabis plants worth €151,000 at a dormer bungalow at Raheen Oughter, Loughrea on August 28 last year.

In a separate case, Malaysian national, 34 year old Lim Chun Wan, pleaded guilty to the cultivation of 360 cannabis plants worth €288,000 at another rurally located house at Riverview, Corbally, Tuam on June 2 last year.

Judge Rory McCabe said an appropriate sentence in Hai Fam’s case was five years.

He put a stay on the order until next Wednesday to give the accused time to prove his travel arrangements.

He sentenced Lim Chun Wan to seven years in prison, given the greater value of plants found in his care.

He directed the remainder of the men’s sentences be suspended on their leaving this jurisdiction and warned them that if they ever returned to Ireland they would serve the balance of their sentence.

Continue Reading

Galway Bay FM News Archives

City arthouse cinema granted 200 thousand euro

Bernie Ni Fhlatharta

Published

on

Date Published: 14-May-2013

Galway City Council has agreed to provide 200 thousand euro in funding to the Art House cinema project.

It’s being termed as a final allocation, to be donated over four years, and is subject to the project securing further finance from the Western Development Commission.

The decision was made at last evening’s city council meeting where representatives of Solas explained how they are attempting to bridge a shortfall in funding to bring the building to completion.

The City Council acquired the site for the Art House Cinema on Merchants Road at a cost of 1.8 million euro, and donated it by way of long term lease.

Construction has been plagued with difficulties, however it’s now hoped the building will be completed this Autumn, and could be open by early 2014.

Continue Reading

Local Ads

Local Ads

Advertisement
Advertisement

Facebook

Advertisement

Trending