Date Published: 23-Jun-2011
By Dara Bradley
The Mayoral pact between Fine Gael, Fianna Fáil and Independents could collapse next week with at least two members of the majority grouping on Galway City Council refusing to back the pacts’ nominee in the election of a new mayor – it could pave the way for a shock with the Labour Party nominee taking the chains.
Councillors Peter Keane and Donal Lyons, members of the current FG/FF/Ind pact, are this weekend standing firm and have said they will not vote for Cllr Hildegarde Naughton in the Mayoral election on Wednesday.
The two councillors reiterated they would only support Cllr Naughton if she retracts and apologises for comments made by her at a meeting last January about elected members being in the pockets of developers.
Cllr Naughton, who could not be contacted by the Galway City Tribune yesterday, previously told this newspaper she would not be apologising. Members of the pact and party whips will meet over the weekend or early next week to iron out their differences.
Cllr Naughton will be proposed and seconded by Fine Gael colleagues Cllr Pádraig Conneely and newcomer Frank Fahy. She can rely on seven votes but if Labour strike a deal with Cllrs Lyons and Keane, and also secure the support of Independent Cllr Catherine Connolly, then Labour’s nominee, likely to be Cllr Billy Cameron, will win by one vote.
Cllr Lyons, a member of the ruling pact, said he is not going to support Cllr Naughton unless her remarks are retracted.
“We can’t be accused of voting like sheep on zoning issues and then turn around to vote like sheep in a Mayoral election. I’m not going to be taken for a fool on this. I’m not voting for her unless she retracts what she said in the January 24 meeting – it was very hurtful not just to councillors but their families, too,” said Cllr Lyons.
Cllr Keane said as of today he will not be voting for Cllr Naughton. “I will not be voting for her until she publicly apologises, retracts and clarifies her comments.”
For more on this story, see the Galway City Tribune.
Galway ‘Park and Ride’ could become permanent
Date Published: 07-May-2013
A park ‘n’ ride scheme from Carnmore into Galway city could become a permanent service if there is public demand.
That’s according to the Chief Executive of Galway Chamber of Commerce, Michael Coyle.
The pilot scheme will begin at 7.20 next Monday morning, May 13th.
Motorists will be able to park cars at the airport carpark in Carnmore and avail of a bus transfer to Forster Street in the city.
Buses will depart every 20 minutes at peak times and every 30 minutes at offpeak times throughout the day, at a cost of 2 euro per journey.
Tuam awaits UK hay import as overnight rainfall adds to fodder crisis
Date Published: 09-May-2013
Tuam is now awaiting a third import of hay from the UK as overnight rainfall has increased pressure on farmers struggling to source fodder.
A total of ten loads are expected at Connacht Gold stores throughout the West with a load expected at the Airglooney outlet this evening or tomorrow.
Farmers throughout the county have been struggling to cope with the animal feed shortage and a below than normal grass growth due to unseasonal weather conditions.
Overnight rainfall in the Galway area has also added to the problem making ground conditions in many areas are quite poor.
Joe Waldron, Agricultual Advisor with Connacht Gold says farmers in short supply can contact the Airglooney outlet on 093 – 24101.
Transport Minister urges end to Bus Eireann strike action
Date Published: 12-May-2013
The Transport Minister is urging drivers at Bus Éireann to engage in talks with management, in an effort to bring their strike action to an end.
There were no Bus Éireann services operating out of Galway today as a result of nationwide strike action by staff affiliated with the national bus and rail union.
Up to 20 Bus Éireann drivers are continuing to picket outside the bus depot at the docks in the city this evening.
Drivers from other unions have decided not to cross the picket line and go into work today – causing the disruption to be even worse.
Bus drivers are protesting against five million euro worth of cuts to their overtime and premium pay – cuts which Bus Eireann says are vital to ensure the future viability of the company.
The majority of services nationwide are disrupted, and the union say strike action will continue until management are willing to go back into negotiations.
However, it’s not expected to affect school services next week.
Galway bay fm news understands that around 70 percent, or over 100 Galway bus Eireann drivers are affiliated with the NBRU.