Classifieds Advertise Archive Subscriptions Family Announcements Photos Digital Editions/Apps
Connect with us

Galway Bay FM News Archives

New vote may pave way for €35m hypermarket

Bernie Ni Fhlatharta

Published

on

Date Published: 09-Jun-2011

BY ENDA CUNNINGHAM

 

A landmark re-vote ordered by the High Court on a rezoning proposal in the Westside could pave the way for a massive €35 million Tesco Extra hypermarket – creating around 150 construction jobs, as well positions for up to 250 full and part-time employees.

Meanwhile, city officials have been criticised for racking up an estimated legal bill of around €120,000 for the Judicial Review case, which councillors believe “could and should have been avoided”.

The Galway City Tribune understands the British retail giant has signed a ‘Heads of Agreement’ with landowner Micheál Ó hUigínn to take on the 9.55 acre site off the Seamus Quirke Road – any contract would be dependent on full planning permission being secured on the site.

Tesco Extra stores typically measure at least 5,000 square metres, and as well as a large supermarket, also stock clothing, footwear, electrical goods, hardware and gardening equipment, along with a fuel filling station.

The hypermarkets – of which there are already 13 in Ireland – generally employ up to 250 workers, while it is estimated that around 150 construction workers would be employed on the 12-18 month build.

The serious legal flaw in voting on the City Development Plan 2011-17 – first revealed by this newspaper last March – could see the initial refusal vote on Mr Ó hUigínn’s site overturned.

The landowner sought a Judicial Review of certain elements of the Development Plan on the basis that Independent councillor and barrister Catherine Connolly participated in key votes at a meeting last January, despite the fact she should have earlier left the Council Chamber after a vote to expel her because of her behavior towards Mayor Mike Crowe.

Instead, the Mayor left the Chamber, and with a 7-7 tie on voting to rezone the land to District Centre status , Brian Walsh then used his second ‘casting’ vote against the proposal.

In the High Court on Tuesday, Mr Justice George Birmingham said that specific vote should be re-taken by July 11, and awarded two-thirds of the costs of the proceedings to Mr O’Higgins.

For more on this story, see the Galway City Tribune.

Galway Bay FM News Archives

Judge adjourns Connemara assault case

Bernie Ni Fhlatharta

Published

on

Date Published: 08-May-2013

A date will be set next October for the trial of a 52-year old Connemara man, who is charged with assaulting traditional Irish musician Noel Hill five years ago.

Michael Folan from Teach Mór, Lettermullen, is charged with intentionally or recklessly causing serious harm to Noel Hill at Tí Padraig Mairtín Beag in Leitir Mór, on St Stephen’s Day, 2008.

The matter had been listed for trial on several occasions before Galway Circuit Criminal Court in the intervening period.

It was referred to the High Court in Dublin last year for judicial review after Michael Folan said he wanted his trial heard ‘as Gaeilge’and that a bi-lingual jury be made available to hear the case.

At Galway Circuit Criminal Court, Judge Rory McCabe adjourned the case for mention to October when it’s expected a date will be set for trial.

 

 

 

 

Continue Reading

Galway Bay FM News Archives

Bank of Ireland Galway Shopping Centre branch to close

Bernie Ni Fhlatharta

Published

on

Date Published: 10-May-2013

Bank of Ireland’s branch at Galway Shopping Centre on the Headford Road is to close in July.

The branch is to merge into the BOI outlet at Galway Industrial Estate in Mervue.

Galway Bay fm news reports the 14 staff impacted are to be offered redeployment and there will be no job losses.

Continue Reading

Galway Bay FM News Archives

Galway RNLI rescues three people stranded on Hare Island

Bernie Ni Fhlatharta

Published

on

Date Published: 13-May-2013

Galway RNLI Lifeboat has come to the rescue of three students who got stranded on Hare Island after getting caught in the tide off Ballyloughan Beach.

The two girls and boy, in their late teens had gone for a walk and were spotted waving from the island by a local resident who contacted the emergency Services and Galway Lifeboat.

Conditions at the time (4pm) were very changeable with heavy showers.

Three members of the Lifeboat shore crew were working in the vicinity of the station at the time and launched the boat in six minutes.

The three students were picked up safely and brought back to the Lifeboat Station at Galway Docks where they were warmed up and given tea and did not require medical attention.

 

Continue Reading

Local Ads

Local Ads

Advertisement
Advertisement

Facebook

Advertisement

Trending