Classifieds Advertise Archive Subscriptions Family Announcements Photos Digital Editions/Apps
Connect with us

Farming

New tag suppliers from November 1st next

Published

on

Dan Donoghue from Craughwell, with his mare and foal at the Ballilnasloe Horse Fair last weekend.

OPEN competition for the supply of cattle tags has been confirmed by the Dept. of Agriculture to start from November 1 next.

The Department have confirmed that they have decided to approve tag suppliers whose ear tags meet the requirements as set down by EU law.

Those requirements stipulate that the tags are tamper-proof and are not reusable – the Dept. said it had already met potential tag suppliers and invited suppliers to submit applications to them.

Up until this year, all cattle tags came from Mullinahone Co-op in Tipperary but now the supply situation has been opened up with different suppliers now likely to be ‘in the market’ for the tags.

The new supply arrangements are to remain in place until December 31, 2017, and over the coming weeks the Dept. have committed to meeting all stakeholders involved in tagging including the farming organisations and the BVD Implementation Group.

Galway IFA Livestock Committee Chairman, Michael Flynn, welcomed the clearing-up of the situation as regards the supply of tags but warned that there must be no increase in costs.

“Under no circumstances can there be any increase in costs to the farmer and we are hoping that with competition that the prices might actually come down for farmers.

“It is our understanding that farmers with supplies of old tags from this year will be able to continue using them until December 31, 2017,” said Michael Flynn.

He said that the new tags would have a changed numbering system consisting of the first three numbers for Ireland (372), a seven-digit herd identifier and then a further five numbers for the individual animals.

It is understood that the new numbering system is to facilitate a standard scanning of the tags across all countries of the EU.

President of the ICSA [Irish Cattle and Sheep Farmers Association), Patrick Kent, said that they had ‘long favoured competition between tag suppliers’ in order to give farmers a best option for value for money when ordering them.

He has also asked the Dept. to make farmers aware that the cost of each tag includes a 38 cent ‘voluntary levy’ to ICBF. [Irish Cattle Breeders Federation].

“We want to ensure that the tag ordering process makes this clear and that farmers have a straightforward choice in opting in, or opting out, of this levy,” said Patrick Kent.

Connacht Tribune

Changes agreed on TB testing regime

Published

on

Stephen Canavan: Six months test proposal is not on!
Galway IFA Chairman, Stephen Canavan

A PROPOSED six-months testing requirement for all bovine animals moving herds will now only apply to cows and males over 36-months old, following discussions over recent weeks between the Dept. of Agriculture and the IFA.

Initially it had been proposed by the Department that the six-months testing regime would be in place for all animals from next year, but the ‘age compromise’ has now been agreed.

However, another major issue now needs to be resolved as to who will pay for a second test when it comes to the sale of the older animals through the marts or from herd to herd.

According to Galway IFA Chairman, Stephen Canavan, the compromise deal on the six-months testing requirement for the older animals – ‘while not ideal’ – was the best that could be achieved.

“The vast majority of mart sales or sales between farmers will involve animals which are under 36 months of age so at least some progress has been made on that issue.

“Now, the negotiations will switch to the issue of who will pay for any of the six-months tests where they apply, and the IFA are taking a very strong line on this.

“The agreement on payment always has been that farmers will only have to pay for one test per year and we will be insisting that this extends onto any seller who has to have a six-months’ test,” said Stephen Canavan.

For more, read this week’s Connacht Tribune.

Connacht Tribune Digital Edition App

Download the Connacht Tribune Digital Edition App to access to Galway’s best-selling newspaper.

Click HERE to download it for iPhone and iPad from Apple’s App Store, or HERE to get the Android Version from Google Play.

Or purchase the Digital Edition for PC, Mac or Laptop from Pagesuite  HERE.

Get the Connacht Tribune Live app
The Connacht Tribune Live app is the home of everything that is happening in Galway City and county. It’s completely FREE and features all the latest news, sport and information on what’s on in your area. Click HERE to download it for iPhone and iPad from Apple’s App Store, or HERE to get the Android Version from Google Play.

 

Continue Reading

Uncategorized

The show goes on . . . for the 183rd time

Published

on

At the launch of The Irish Draught Horse Society Show were: Seán McGuirk, Chairman; Elizabeth Dean Coogan, Council Member; Margaret Buckley, Treasurer; John Harney, Chairman Ballinasloe Horse and Agricultural Show; Cllr. Dermot Connolly and Maeve O'Meara, Secretary.

JOHN HARNEY from Mountpleasant first joined the Ballinasloe Horse and Agriculture Show Committee, all of 60-years ago, on April 24, 1962. Both John and the show are still going strong as they celebrate their 183rd event on this Sunday. Here, he looks back on his involvement with this iconic show through the years.

THE Ballinasloe Show back in the early 1960s was going well with both the Showgrounds and Duggan Park both used for running the competitions.

My first introduction to the show was stewarding the pony competitions in the Mountpleasant end of the Duggan Park with the rest of the GAA field being used for trade stands.

At that time, it was a very big show with horses, ponies, cattle and sheep, pigs and fowl – also there was a big garden and farm produce section as well as a home craft and baking section with flowers and plants supported by a very large women’s committee.

At that time, showjumping took place in the afternoon with the top riders in the country taking part.  I was elected Chairman at the AGM in 1975, a position I held for ten years.

During that time, the Duggan Park Committee approached the Show Committee for a piece of the showgrounds behind the GAA Stand for dressing rooms.

This was brought up a number of times at our committee meetings, and at first, the view was that the Duggan Park Committee would buy the ground.

However, after much deliberation it was decided by the Show Committee to ‘give the ground’ for the sum of £1 with the proviso that the dressingrooms could be used on show days by the local ICA to do catering for the event.

For more, read this week’s Connacht Tribune.

Connacht Tribune Digital Edition App

Download the Connacht Tribune Digital Edition App to access to Galway’s best-selling newspaper.

Click HERE to download it for iPhone and iPad from Apple’s App Store, or HERE to get the Android Version from Google Play.

Or purchase the Digital Edition for PC, Mac or Laptop from Pagesuite  HERE.

Get the Connacht Tribune Live app
The Connacht Tribune Live app is the home of everything that is happening in Galway City and county. It’s completely FREE and features all the latest news, sport and information on what’s on in your area. Click HERE to download it for iPhone and iPad from Apple’s App Store, or HERE to get the Android Version from Google Play.

 

Continue Reading

Connacht Tribune

ACRES away from a proper scheme

Published

on

Connacht IFA Chair, Pat Murphy

THE new ACRES environmental scheme came in for scathing criticism at a Connacht IFA meeting this week with farm representatives describing it as being ‘choked with red tape and paperwork’.

Connacht IFA Chair, Pat Murphy, told the Farming Tribune that the scheme had turned out to be ‘a sore disappointment’ for West of Ireland farmers who needed a workable and practical scheme to ensure survival into the future.

“The money is not in the scheme; it’s choked with restrictions and rules; and at the end of the day, there’s no guarantee that farmers will get paid for the actions that they undertake,” said Pat Murphy.

Over 100 people attended the regional meeting in Roscommon on Monday night which was addressed by IFA President, Tim Cullinan and Director General, Damian McDonald.

Concerns were also expressed that not all farmers applying for inclusion in ACRES would ‘get in’ by early next year, due to budget limitations on the scheme.

According to Pat Murphy, the scheme is laden down with ‘bureaucracy and red-tape’ as well as putting obstacles in the way of farmers who were more than willing to embrace the whole principle of a proper environmental scheme.

“But even at this late stage, I still believe that practical changes can be made to the scheme which will make it more farmer friendly.

For more, read this week’s Connacht Tribune.

Connacht Tribune Digital Edition App

Download the Connacht Tribune Digital Edition App to access to Galway’s best-selling newspaper.

Click HERE to download it for iPhone and iPad from Apple’s App Store, or HERE to get the Android Version from Google Play.

Or purchase the Digital Edition for PC, Mac or Laptop from Pagesuite  HERE.

Get the Connacht Tribune Live app
The Connacht Tribune Live app is the home of everything that is happening in Galway City and county. It’s completely FREE and features all the latest news, sport and information on what’s on in your area. Click HERE to download it for iPhone and iPad from Apple’s App Store, or HERE to get the Android Version from Google Play.

 

Continue Reading

Local Ads

Local Ads

Advertisement
Advertisement

Facebook

Advertisement

Trending