Date Published: 02-Jun-2011
BY JUDY MURPHY
Hollywood star Cillian Murphy is making an eagerly awaited return to the stage at this year’s Galway Arts Festival in a one-man show, written and directed by Enda Walsh.
Misterman is a co-production between the Arts Festival and Dublin’s Landmark Theatre Company and is a complete reworking of a blackly humorous play that Enda Walsh himself performed in 1999, explains Festival Director Paul Fahy.
Cillian Murphy and Enda Walsh previously worked together to great acclaim in Walsh’s groundbreaking Disco Pigs in the mid 1990s and Misterman is the first time that they have joined forces since then.
The play has been in development for the past year and, says Mr Fahy, although it is a one-man show, it is a huge production, with a creative team that includes Dublin-born contemporary composer Donnacha Dennehy who has written a new score for it.
A major new exhibition by one of Ireland’s leading artists Hughie O’Donoghue, two Shakespeare productions from Ed Hall’s Propeller Theatre Company; a new play by UK author Mike Bartlett, supergroups AfroCubism; Blondie and authors Colm Tóibín and Emma Donoghue are just some of the participants in the Galway Arts Festival which runs from July 11 to 24.
The Festival will stage street events from French company Les Phiébulistes and Erth from Australia, while Macnas presents This Fierce Beauty, a night-time parade, starting at 8.45pm on Sunday night, July 17.
The Big Top musical acts have already been announced and include AfroCubism, Blondie, Bell X1 with Duke Special and New Zealand native Liam Finn, and De La Soul and the Hypnotic Brass Ensemble. Other music includes Session Americana, a who’s-who of the Boston roots scene; Irish super group De Danann; Reels, Jigs & Jazz with Brendan Larrissey and Pat Collins; The National Chamber Choir of Ireland; Kaleidoscope; Iarla Ó Lionáird, The Walls, Jack L, and a series of traditional lunchtime gigs in two new Festival venues, Kelly’s Bar and Monroe’s Live, featuring a host of leading Irish musicians including Altan’s Dermot Byrne.
For more on this story, see the Galway City Tribune.
Galway ‘Park and Ride’ could become permanent
Date Published: 07-May-2013
A park ‘n’ ride scheme from Carnmore into Galway city could become a permanent service if there is public demand.
That’s according to the Chief Executive of Galway Chamber of Commerce, Michael Coyle.
The pilot scheme will begin at 7.20 next Monday morning, May 13th.
Motorists will be able to park cars at the airport carpark in Carnmore and avail of a bus transfer to Forster Street in the city.
Buses will depart every 20 minutes at peak times and every 30 minutes at offpeak times throughout the day, at a cost of 2 euro per journey.
Tuam awaits UK hay import as overnight rainfall adds to fodder crisis
Date Published: 09-May-2013
Tuam is now awaiting a third import of hay from the UK as overnight rainfall has increased pressure on farmers struggling to source fodder.
A total of ten loads are expected at Connacht Gold stores throughout the West with a load expected at the Airglooney outlet this evening or tomorrow.
Farmers throughout the county have been struggling to cope with the animal feed shortage and a below than normal grass growth due to unseasonal weather conditions.
Overnight rainfall in the Galway area has also added to the problem making ground conditions in many areas are quite poor.
Joe Waldron, Agricultual Advisor with Connacht Gold says farmers in short supply can contact the Airglooney outlet on 093 – 24101.
Transport Minister urges end to Bus Eireann strike action
Date Published: 12-May-2013
The Transport Minister is urging drivers at Bus Éireann to engage in talks with management, in an effort to bring their strike action to an end.
There were no Bus Éireann services operating out of Galway today as a result of nationwide strike action by staff affiliated with the national bus and rail union.
Up to 20 Bus Éireann drivers are continuing to picket outside the bus depot at the docks in the city this evening.
Drivers from other unions have decided not to cross the picket line and go into work today – causing the disruption to be even worse.
Bus drivers are protesting against five million euro worth of cuts to their overtime and premium pay – cuts which Bus Eireann says are vital to ensure the future viability of the company.
The majority of services nationwide are disrupted, and the union say strike action will continue until management are willing to go back into negotiations.
However, it’s not expected to affect school services next week.
Galway bay fm news understands that around 70 percent, or over 100 Galway bus Eireann drivers are affiliated with the NBRU.