Classifieds Advertise Archive Subscriptions Family Announcements Photos Digital Editions/Apps
Connect with us

Connacht Tribune

Murphy and O’Donnell point the way for Tuam Stars

Published

on

Tuam Stars 0-15

Killannin 0-12

FOUR second half points by Jamie Murphy provided the inspiration for Tuam Stars to keep their nerves in the closing minutes as Ja Fallon’s side eventually saw off Killannin in Sunday’s senior football championship encounter at Pearse Stadium.

Their ability to make productive use of the wind in the second half was a telling factor as Tuam’s ten point contribution in the final 30 minutes saw them double their opponents’ tally and leave them with a little to spare in the end.

Mind you, they needed two points in additional time to open up a three-point margin and in a really dramatic finale, it took a goal-line clearance by Rory O’Connor to keep out a David Walsh effort in a goalmouth scramble.

Killannin certainly made the better start, but their inability to turn a lot of possession in a wind assisted opening half into scores was to turn out to be their downfall. In fact, almost all their scores were taken in two productive spells and just one score in the closing ten minutes of the half left them with just a slender two point lead at the interval.

That advantage was quickly turned over by Tuam and while the sides traded point for point for a spell, a three score burst midway through the half was enough to give the Stars a lead that a committed Killannin could not peg back.

Aided by the elements it was the West Galway team who made the brighter start and after Johnny Heaney stroked over a 45, Niall Walsh drilled over a smashing effort with the outside of the boot from near the right sideline. Their early dominance continued as Cathal Sweeney soloed through the middle and made it three points to no score on 10 minutes.

Tuam Stars got off the mark a minute later and it was Gary O’Donnell who popped over the opener and the midfielder repeated the feat quickly afterwards to add a second, with Darren Kelly deeply involved in the build up to both. Kelly then had an opportunity to go for goal, but elected for the safer option when he fired over the equaliser on 13 minutes.

Referee Shane Hehir was the centre of attention for two contrasting decisions in quick succession, at opposite ends of the park. Firstly, he failed to award a free to Killannin’s Patrick Sweeney when he had the legs taken from under him by Darragh O’Rourke in front of goal, while at the other end he observed David Walsh holding Jamie Murphy off the ball as the full forward awaited a delivery from midfield. Gavan Connell knocked over the resulting free to put Tuam Stars 0-4 to 0-3 ahead on 15 minutes.

Full coverage in this week’s Connacht Tribune

Connacht Tribune

Thousands on waiting list for student accommodation in Galway

Published

on

The student housing crisis is ‘the worst it’s ever been’ – with thousands on waiting lists for rooms; hundreds relying on hostels and friends’ sofas; and countless more facing deferral or dropping out altogether.

The President of NUI Galway’s Students’ Union, Róisín Nic Lochlainn, told the Connacht Tribune that students had been left in a desperate situation, as she called for mass protests to have the issue addressed.

According to Ms Nic Lochlainn, 3,000 students were currently on the waiting lists for NUIG’s on-campus accommodation – Corrib Village and Goldcrest Village – with around 500 in line for any bed that might come up in the Westwood.

“Gort na Coiribe and Dunaras have told us their waiting lists are well into the hundreds too. I’ve only got to contact two of the hostels around town, but Kinlay and Snoozles have almost 200 students between them already – and they’re expecting more.

“The first years haven’t even arrived yet, and on top of all that, you have people in B&Bs and staying on their friends’ sofas,” said Ms Nic Lochlainn.

Pressure on the student rental market had been building for years, she said, but it had gone off the cliff edge this year as a perfect storm was created by increased student numbers and reduced bed availability.

“[Minister for Further and Higher Education] Simon Harris created new places on courses this year and talked about maximum access to education . . . I’m not sure how that works for students who are homeless.

“Because there weren’t many students around last year, some private landlords might have moved on. There was no new purpose-built accommodation delivered, and then Simon Harris creates new places with no new beds,” said Ms Nic Lochlainn of the causes of this year’s problems.”

This is a shortened preview version of this article. To read the rest of the story, see this week’s Connacht Tribune. You can buy a digital edition HERE.

Continue Reading

Connacht Tribune

Government asked to “do everything” to ensure Intel chooses Oranmore as base

Published

on

The Taoiseach and Tánaiste will be asked to do “everything in their power” to ensure technology giant Intel selects Oranmore as the location for its new microchip manufacturing plant – which could create 10,000 jobs and transform the West of Ireland economy.

The 540-acre site is owned by the Defence Forces and was selected by IDA Ireland as the preferred site for the company’s new EU ‘chip’ base.

BY STEPHEN CORRIGAN
AND DARA BRADLEY

Oranmore is up against sites in Poland, France and Germany and Intel confirmed to Taoiseach Micheál Martin that the site is under consideration.

Galway East TD Ciarán Cannon said the development would be “transformative” and would be Intel’s largest microchip manufacturing plant in the world.

Meanwhile, at a meeting of the Athenry Oranmore Municipal District this week, councillors backed a proposal from Cllr Liam Carroll to write to Micheál Martin and Leo Varadkar to urge them to push forward the plan.

“This would be a game-changer, not just for Oranmore but for the whole of Connacht. Imagine 10,000 directly employed at some stage in the future, and the spinoff from that,” he said.

The Oranmore site is reported to have been selected ahead of three other locations in Ireland.

It is on Intel’s short-list for the proposed project, which would involve building eight factory modules on a single campus at the site off the M6 motorway, northeast of Oranmore, the newspaper reported.

The American multinational tech company has whittled down its short-list to 10 finalists; Oranmore is up against sites in Poland, France and Germany.

The Sunday Times reported at the weekend that if it proceeds, the new Oranmore ‘mega-fab’ would dwarf Intel’s existing site in Leixlip, which employs almost 5,000.

Galway East TD, Ciaran Cannon (FG) said: “It would put Galway on the map internationally as a place for high-tech investment and it would serve to rebalance the economic imbalance that exists in our country where all of the weight is on the east coast.

“The IDA has a formula where every one new job created in that industry creates about eight or nine more jobs downstream in terms of the supply chain and services. They’re saying 10,000 jobs on site – twice the population of Athenry – on one campus and then another 80-90,000 jobs off site. The figures are phenomenal, mind boggling,” said Deputy Cannon.

The demand for the facility arose during Covid-19 when the supply chain between Asia and Europe broke down.

This is a shortened preview version of this article. To read the rest of the story, see this week’s Connacht Tribune. You can buy a digital edition HERE.

Continue Reading

Connacht Tribune

Fraudsters ‘spoof’ Galway Garda Station’s phone number

Published

on

Fraudsters replicated the phone number of Galway Garda Station and used it to call a local woman to demand money.

Crime Prevention Officer, Sergeant Michael Walsh, said that the number ‘091 538000’ was somehow used by criminals who attempted to extract money – in the form of the online currency Bitcoin – from the victim.   Despite the phone call appearing to come from the Garda station at Mill Street, the woman became suspicious and reported it to Gardaí.

Sgt Walsh said it was the latest in a series of ‘spoofing’ phone calls to have occurred this year.

Spoofing is where fraudsters change the caller ID to ring unsuspecting members of the public to try to extract money or personal information off them.

He said that the number of spoofing incidents reported to Galway Gardaí has more than doubled in the past year.

“It is top of my agenda,” he said.

He pointed out that criminals can obtain a ‘ready to go’ phone and SIM card, relatively cheaply, and it was “very difficult” for Gardaí to trace the caller.

This is a shortened preview version of this article. To read the rest of the story and more details on fraud figures in Galway, see this week’s Connacht Tribune. You can buy a digital edition HERE.

Continue Reading

Local Ads

Local Ads

Advertisement
Advertisement

Facebook

Advertisement

Trending