Monivea-Abbey finish in a blaze of glory to shock Tuam Stars

Monivea-Abbey's James Mannion secures possession ahead of Tuam Stars Alan O'Connell during Saturday's senior football championship quarter-final in Corofin.

Monivea-Abbey 3-9

Tuam Stars 1-10

ON a day when most of the stars belonged to Monivea-Abbey, it was the underdogs who repeated the feat of their most famous title winning day of 1992 with a merited success over neighbours Tuam in Corofin on Saturday evening.

It was a quarter-final in which Monivea/Abbey were never headed as they made a terrific start and had an even better finish as they eventually came out on top in an exciting contest to set up a semi-final meeting with Mountbellew/Moylough.

Paul Flaherty returned from hurling duty and showed he was still on song with a second minute goal, before James Mannion and Stephen Walsh really sealed the win with a pair of late goals.

This was a close game and while the winners led by three points at half time, it was the biggest gap between the sides before the late goals sealed the victory for Barry Downey charges. Throughout, the teams almost traded score for score, but despite the intensity of the game it was Monivea-Abbey who provided all the game’s big performers.

Down the spine of the team, Caelom Mulry, Trevor Mullins and Cillian McDaid were outstanding and while they might have set the standard, there were numerous other players who were equally impressive.

Monivea-Abbey made a dream start and after Paddy Mullins lobbed over a cracking point from the left touchline, they struck for a tonic goal on just two minutes when Rory O’Connor and Paul Flaherty combined for the latter to sidefoot the ball into an empty net from six yards.

For the opening minutes, Tuam Stars were struggling to get out of their own half, but they responded well to the early se back and the excellent Cormac McWalter got them off the mark with smashing left footed effort, before Jamie Murphy pointed a free.

Even from the early exchanges, the speed of the winners’ counter attacking was impressive and it was from such a break that set up James Mannion for his first score of the game to leave a goal between the sides.

However, that gap was quickly under threat at the other end. A close range Conor Doherty shot was taken off the line through a combination of Lorcan Laheen and a post, before Joseph Lowry fired past Denis Farragher after the big goalkeeper had kept out his initial effort to leave matters level at 1-2 to 1-2 after 11 minutes.


Full coverage in this week’s Connacht Tribune.