Date Published: 07-May-2011
AMID conflicting reports regarding the possible resignation of Galway-based surgeon, Myles Joyce, Health Minister Dr James Reilly has indicated his willingness to intervene.
It is still unclear if the colorectal surgeon, who has been at UHG for approximately 15 months, is to resign and return to the US.
When contacted by Galway Bay Fm earlier today (Saturday) a spokerson for the HSE West said they could not make any comment on Human Resourses issues such as this.
Earlier this week, on the Keith Finnegan Show, another senior surgeon at the Galway hospital, Prof Oliver McAnana, said it was a constant battle for all surgeons to get theatre time there and they were very frustrated by this.
During the course of that interview he said he was not aware at thIS point if any formal letter of resignation had been handed in by Mr Joyce.
Retail industry trade body welcomes B&Q announcement
Date Published: 07-May-2013
Retail Excellence Ireland, the country’s largest retail industry trade body, has welcomed the news that 60 jobs have been saved at the city branch of B&Q.
It’s after the home improvements store successfully exited examinership.
Under the scheme, 2.4 million euro is to be invested by parent company Kingfisher plc, and B and Q will continue to trade at eight stores
This means 640 jobs have been saved nationwide, including 60 at the outlet in Knocknacarra.
However, David Fitzsimons of Retail Excellence Ireland says landlords need to be willing to help out smaller retailers too.
Foundation reports nine Galway heart deaths each week
Date Published: 09-May-2013
Nine people die in Galway every week from heart disease and stroke.
That’s according to the Irish Heart Foundation, which is launching its Happy Hearts Appeal today. (9/5)
An Taoiseach, Enda Kenny, launched the appeal today to help raise funds for the charity, which has seen increasing demand on its patient services.
The Foundation says it needs to raise at least half a million euro to maintain existing information services.
Call to tackle delays at Oranmore rail crossing
Date Published: 13-May-2013
Concerns have been raised over traffic delays at the railway crossing in Oranmore.
Councillor Jim Cuddy says he has received many representations from local motorists who have been experiencing extended delays.
He says the closed barrier can sometimes cause a traffic tailback as far as the roundabout near the Maldron hotel.
Cllr Cuddy has brought the matter to the attention of Iarnrod Eireann and has asked for an explanation as to why the crossing is closed for so long.