Classifieds Advertise Archive Subscriptions Family Announcements Photos Digital Editions/Apps
Connect with us

Galway Bay FM News Archives

Minister to be briefed on Docks transformation plans

Published

on

Date Published: 28-Apr-2011

By Dara Bradley

 

Management at Galway Harbour will brief the new Transport Minister on its plans for a major overhaul of Galway’s Docks, when he visits the city in a fortnight, the Galway City Tribune has learned.

Galway Harbour Company is seeking State support to part-finance the €50 million phase one of the redevelopment of the Docks and will use Minister for Transport, Tourism and Sport, Leo Varadkar’s visit to the city in early May to convince him and his officials of the merits of the project.

Minister Varadkar has confirmed he will be in Galway on Friday, May 13 to officially launch National Bike Week and he has agreed to meet with backers of the Docks revamp project.

It is understood Minister Varadkar will also meet with management at Galway Airport during his visit to Galway to discuss issues surrounding the future funding and State-support of the Carnmore facility.

The Minister already expressed a keen interest in the Galway Docks redevelopment project when he met with Galway West Fine Gael deputies, Brian Walsh and Seán Kyne, at a meeting in Leinster House held earlier this week.

“The Minister has agreed to meet with Galway Harbour Company to go through the plans for the new harbour,” said Deputy Walsh.

“He hasn’t committed funding for the project yet, but he is very keen to see the plans and to explore the possibilities the project presents for Galway City and the wider western region as a whole.

“It will give the Harbour Company an opportunity to show the Minister its vision and to explain to him the benefits that would accrue if phase one was completed, not just in building jobs during the construction stage but in terms of attracting bigger cruise liners to the city that would provide a huge boost to tourism in Galway and the west.”

For more on this story, see the Galway City Tribune.

Galway Bay FM News Archives

Galway ‘Park and Ride’ could become permanent

Published

on

Date Published: 07-May-2013

A park ‘n’ ride scheme from Carnmore into Galway city could become a permanent service if there is public demand.

That’s according to the Chief Executive of Galway Chamber of Commerce, Michael Coyle.

The pilot scheme will begin at 7.20 next Monday morning, May 13th.

Motorists will be able to park cars at the airport carpark in Carnmore and avail of a bus transfer to Forster Street in the city.

Buses will depart every 20 minutes at peak times and every 30 minutes at offpeak times throughout the day, at a cost of 2 euro per journey.

Continue Reading

Galway Bay FM News Archives

Tuam awaits UK hay import as overnight rainfall adds to fodder crisis

Published

on

Date Published: 09-May-2013

Tuam is now awaiting a third import of hay from the UK as overnight rainfall has increased pressure on farmers struggling to source fodder.

A total of ten loads are expected at Connacht Gold stores throughout the West with a load expected at the Airglooney outlet this evening or tomorrow.

Farmers throughout the county have been struggling to cope with the animal feed shortage and a below than normal grass growth due to unseasonal weather conditions.

Overnight rainfall in the Galway area has also added to the problem making ground conditions in many areas are quite poor.

Joe Waldron, Agricultual Advisor with Connacht Gold says farmers in short supply can contact the Airglooney outlet on 093 – 24101.

Continue Reading

Galway Bay FM News Archives

Transport Minister urges end to Bus Eireann strike action

Published

on

Date Published: 12-May-2013

The Transport Minister is urging drivers at Bus Éireann to engage in talks with management, in an effort to bring their strike action to an end.

There were no Bus Éireann services operating out of Galway today as a result of nationwide strike action by staff affiliated with the national bus and rail union.

Up to 20 Bus Éireann drivers are continuing to picket outside the bus depot at the docks in the city this evening.

Drivers from other unions have decided not to cross the picket line and go into work today – causing the disruption to be even worse.

Bus drivers are protesting against five million euro worth of cuts to their overtime and premium pay – cuts which Bus Eireann says are vital to ensure the future viability of the company.

The majority of services nationwide are disrupted, and the union say strike action will continue until management are willing to go back into negotiations.

However, it’s not expected to affect school services next week.

Galway bay fm news understands that around 70 percent, or over 100 Galway bus Eireann drivers are affiliated with the NBRU.

 

Continue Reading

Local Ads

Local Ads

Advertisement
Advertisement

Facebook

Advertisement

Trending