Classifieds Advertise Archive Subscriptions Family Announcements Photos Digital Editions/Apps
Connect with us

Galway Bay FM News Archives

Minister ‘shocked’ on surprise visit to hospital

Bernie Ni Fhlatharta

Published

on

Date Published: 30-Jun-2011

By Dara Bradley

Minister for Health Dr James Reilly was shocked by scenes at the Emergency Department of University Hospital Galway when he made an impromptu and unannounced visit yesterday.

There were 23 patients lying on trolleys in corridors waiting for beds to become available, one of them an elderly man who was in his 20th hour on a trolley.

Minister Reilly, who was in Galway at an official function at NUI Galway, decided ‘on the spur of the moment’ to visit UHG at 10am on Thursday to see firsthand the overcrowding situation at the city hospital, which has hit the headlines for all the wrong reasons in local and national press, consistently being rated the worst performing in the country in the HSE’s monthly Healthstat reports.

Minister Reilly gave only a few minutes’ notice to UHG, ringing ahead to announce his visit just as his ministerial car was pulling in the hospital gates.

When he arrived 23 patients were languishing on trolleys in the corridors of the Emergency Department waiting for a bed to be freed-up inside, many had spent the night and one elderly man had spent 20 hours on a trolley with no sign of a bed becoming available.

Dr Martin Connor, newly appointed head of the new ‘Special Delivery Unit’, a new unit charged with reducing waiting lists in the country’s hospitals, visited UHG hours after the Minister left – it is his first ‘port of call’ since being appointed in June. Chairperson of HSE West regional forum, Cllr Pádraig Conneely (FG) said the visits show the Government and Minister has made UHG a priority.

Minister Reilly, in an interview with the Galway City Tribune following his spontaneous visit, said he is determined to aggressively bring about change at the city hospital.

“When I arrived there were 23 people on trolleys waiting for a bed and admission, I chatted and apologised to one man who was on a trolley for 20 hours, and another man who was there for 12 hours. That’s not good enough . . . patients are extraordinarily tolerant and good humoured, but I’m not going to preside over this sort of situation . . . I’m absolutely determined and committed that this is going to change,” he said.

 

For more on this story, see the Galway City Tribune.

Galway Bay FM News Archives

Judge adjourns Connemara assault case

Bernie Ni Fhlatharta

Published

on

Date Published: 08-May-2013

A date will be set next October for the trial of a 52-year old Connemara man, who is charged with assaulting traditional Irish musician Noel Hill five years ago.

Michael Folan from Teach Mór, Lettermullen, is charged with intentionally or recklessly causing serious harm to Noel Hill at Tí Padraig Mairtín Beag in Leitir Mór, on St Stephen’s Day, 2008.

The matter had been listed for trial on several occasions before Galway Circuit Criminal Court in the intervening period.

It was referred to the High Court in Dublin last year for judicial review after Michael Folan said he wanted his trial heard ‘as Gaeilge’and that a bi-lingual jury be made available to hear the case.

At Galway Circuit Criminal Court, Judge Rory McCabe adjourned the case for mention to October when it’s expected a date will be set for trial.

 

 

 

 

Continue Reading

Galway Bay FM News Archives

Bank of Ireland Galway Shopping Centre branch to close

Bernie Ni Fhlatharta

Published

on

Date Published: 10-May-2013

Bank of Ireland’s branch at Galway Shopping Centre on the Headford Road is to close in July.

The branch is to merge into the BOI outlet at Galway Industrial Estate in Mervue.

Galway Bay fm news reports the 14 staff impacted are to be offered redeployment and there will be no job losses.

Continue Reading

Galway Bay FM News Archives

Galway RNLI rescues three people stranded on Hare Island

Bernie Ni Fhlatharta

Published

on

Date Published: 13-May-2013

Galway RNLI Lifeboat has come to the rescue of three students who got stranded on Hare Island after getting caught in the tide off Ballyloughan Beach.

The two girls and boy, in their late teens had gone for a walk and were spotted waving from the island by a local resident who contacted the emergency Services and Galway Lifeboat.

Conditions at the time (4pm) were very changeable with heavy showers.

Three members of the Lifeboat shore crew were working in the vicinity of the station at the time and launched the boat in six minutes.

The three students were picked up safely and brought back to the Lifeboat Station at Galway Docks where they were warmed up and given tea and did not require medical attention.

 

Continue Reading

Local Ads

Advertisement

Weather

Weather Icon
Advertisement

Facebook

Advertisement

Trending