Classifieds Advertise Archive Subscriptions Family Announcements Photos Digital Editions/Apps
Connect with us

Galway Bay FM News Archives

MINISTER RABBITTE SAYS NO NEED FOR CHANGES TO RTE BOARD

Bernie Ni Fhlatharta

Published

on

Date Published: 08-May-2012

Minister for Communications Pat Rabbitte has said there should be no changes on the board of RTÉ in the wake of the mistakes in the Mission to Prey programme

Minister Rabbitte has held a two hour meeting on the Broadcasting Authority of Ireland’s report on the Prime Time Investigates programme of May last year

The Minister says the Board offered no excuses for what had happened and accepted it caused damage not only to Ahascragh parish priest Fr Kevin Reynolds but also to the reputation of RTÉ.

The BAI found that the programme broadcast serious, damaging and untrue allegations about Fr Reynolds.

The report, published last Friday, found there had been a significant failure of editorial and managerial controls within RTÉ and imposed a fine of €200,000.

Today Minister Rabbitte says he’s satisfied that the board of RTE fully appreciates the seriousness of the libeling of Fr Kevin Reynolds.

Minister Rabbitte said at this morning’s meeting no member of the board offered their resignation over the affair- nor were resignations sought by him.

He said the board has agreed to make a submission to the government within a week setting out what actions they propose to take to ensure there’s no repeat of the affair in the future.

He also said there may have to be changes to the law to ensure greater compliance with broadcasting rules.

But Minister Rabbitte said he believes the board of RTE is acting appropriately.

Galway Bay FM News Archives

Visiting restrictions lifted at UHG following vomiting bug outbreak

Bernie Ni Fhlatharta

Published

on

Date Published: 08-May-2013

Visiting restrictions have been lifted at University Hospital Galway following an outbreak of the winter vomiting virus.

The restrictions had been in place on impacted wards since April 22nd.

Ann Cosgrove, General Manager at Galway University Hospitals says visiting restrictions are now being lifted as the outbreak is considered to be over.

However she warns that there are signs that the Winter Vomiting Virus is still active in the community.

 

Continue Reading

Galway Bay FM News Archives

Two men before courts over county grow houses

Bernie Ni Fhlatharta

Published

on

Date Published: 10-May-2013

Two Asian men have appeared in court for sentence in connection with the discovery of cannabis "grow houses" in Tuam and Loughrea last year.

They appeared before Galway Circuit court.

Vietnamese national, 48 year old Hai Fam pleaded guilty before Galway Circuit Court to the possession and cultivation of 189 cannabis plants worth €151,000 at a dormer bungalow at Raheen Oughter, Loughrea on August 28 last year.

In a separate case, Malaysian national, 34 year old Lim Chun Wan, pleaded guilty to the cultivation of 360 cannabis plants worth €288,000 at another rurally located house at Riverview, Corbally, Tuam on June 2 last year.

Judge Rory McCabe said an appropriate sentence in Hai Fam’s case was five years.

He put a stay on the order until next Wednesday to give the accused time to prove his travel arrangements.

He sentenced Lim Chun Wan to seven years in prison, given the greater value of plants found in his care.

He directed the remainder of the men’s sentences be suspended on their leaving this jurisdiction and warned them that if they ever returned to Ireland they would serve the balance of their sentence.

Continue Reading

Galway Bay FM News Archives

City arthouse cinema granted 200 thousand euro

Bernie Ni Fhlatharta

Published

on

Date Published: 14-May-2013

Galway City Council has agreed to provide 200 thousand euro in funding to the Art House cinema project.

It’s being termed as a final allocation, to be donated over four years, and is subject to the project securing further finance from the Western Development Commission.

The decision was made at last evening’s city council meeting where representatives of Solas explained how they are attempting to bridge a shortfall in funding to bring the building to completion.

The City Council acquired the site for the Art House Cinema on Merchants Road at a cost of 1.8 million euro, and donated it by way of long term lease.

Construction has been plagued with difficulties, however it’s now hoped the building will be completed this Autumn, and could be open by early 2014.

Continue Reading

Local Ads

Local Ads

Advertisement
Advertisement

Facebook

Advertisement

Trending