Mervue United go top after routing hapless Waterford

Waterford United 0

Mervue United 4

Brendan White at the RSC

MERVUE United moved to the top of the Airtricity League First Division with a thumping 4-0 win against Waterford United at the RSC last Saturday night.

Goals from Noel Varley, Jason Molloy and a brace from Tom King saw Johnny Glynn’s side earn a resounding win over an out of sorts Waterford United and give the Galway oufit their third victory in a row at the RSC.

Mervue were forced into one change for the match as Mike Elwood took the place of Ryan Manning, who was rested ahead of the club’s FAI Youth Cup match on Sunday.

The visitors began brightly and Brendan Lavelle had a great chance to open the scoring after just two minutes. Jason Molloy played in Marc Ludden down the left channel and his low cross found Lavelle. The striker had time to turn but he dragged his shot into the side netting.
Ben Ryan then went close for Waterford United after taking a pass from Paudie Quinn. Ryan beat three before shooting straight at Conor Gleeson.

Elwood could have gifted the opener to Waterford as he almost put the ball into the back of his own net as he attempted to blocked down Daragh Walshe’s cross, but the ball dropped into the side netting with keeper Conor Gleeson wrong-footed.

Mervue United deservedly took the lead eight minutes before the break. Jason Molloy, who caused full back Aidan McGrath continuous trouble, found Lavelle who crossed for Tom King to head the ball brilliantly past Waterford keeper Craig Hyland.

King was denied a minute later by Hyland after Curran’s crosd before the lead was eventually doubled. King was again involved and he crossed for Noel Varley to rise and head superbly past Hyland, giving the keeper no chance.

That eventually sprung the home side into action but Conor Gleeson was again in good form as he superbly pushed Peter White’s strike over the crossbar after his marauding run had seen him beat four Mervue players.

White came close again at the start of the second half but he dragged his shot wide of the target after Peter Higgins’ cross. The home side had another chance through Paul Quilty after Vinny Sullivan’s cross but Gleeson saved the weak shot.

For more, read this week’s Connacht Sentinel.