Classifieds Advertise Archive Subscriptions Family Announcements Photos Digital Editions/Apps
Connect with us

Galway Bay FM News Archives

Meehan’s big fitness battle for championship

Published

on

Date Published: 12-May-2011

Dara Bradley

SHARPSHOOTER Michael Meehan is in a race against time to make it back to full fitness for Galway’s championship opener against either Mayo or London in late June.

Meehan, who is included in the Galway senior squad that was announced this week, has returned to light training after struggling with knee ligament and ankle injuries for two years. Galway selector Martin McNamara said he is hopeful that the Caltra man can recover in time for the Connacht Championship but it is not certain that he will.

 

The absence of Meehan has been keenly felt in Galway’s attack in the past two seasons and if he is not match fit in time for the opener, it will be doubly felt given that another key option in the forwards, Nicky Joyce, is not involved with the Tribesmen this year.

The Galway senior football management team are hoping to unearth a few more talented players to add to the 2011 championship panel when the county’s senior and intermediate club championships get underway this weekend.

Galway manager Tomás Ó Flátharta, and his selectors Seán Óg de Paor and McNamara, have already promoted a dozen players from Alan Mulholland’s All-Ireland U21 winning squad to the senior panel.

McNamara said reports in the national press this week that the squad would be whittled down further last night (Wednesday) were unfounded, although the squad will be assessed again in a few weeks.

And he said the trio will be hoping that several players not yet included in the senior panel will catch the eye this weekend during the first round of club championship matches.

“We’ll be looking at all the championship games of the next couple of weeks, the panel is not set in stone and we’ve left a bit of room for adding players depending how they perform in the championship. We’ve six or seven weeks now to go until Galway play (the winners of Mayo versus London) and it would be great to find a few more players in the next couple of weeks and get them embedded in the squad in time for the Connacht championship,” said McNamara.

The promotion of nine U21 players means that the senior panel now has a total of 12 U21s fresh from winning the All-Ireland. The dynamic midfield duo of Thomas Flynn (Athenry) and Fintán Ó Curraoin (Micheál Breathnach) have been drafted in to the senior squad along with defenders Tomás Fahy (Killererin), Joss Moore (Mountbellew/Moylough) and Gary Sweeney (Mountbellew/Moylough) and forwards Mark Hehir (Milltown), Peadar Ó Gríofa (Micheál Breathnach), Eric Monahan (Caherlistrane) and Micheál Boyle (Killererin).

The U21 captain Colin Forde (Killererin) had already been drafted into the senior squad during the National Football League as had Danny Cummins (Claregalway) and Johnny Duane (St James’). All three retain their place in the senior panel.

For more, read this week’s Galway City Tribune.

Galway Bay FM News Archives

Galway ‘Park and Ride’ could become permanent

Published

on

Date Published: 07-May-2013

A park ‘n’ ride scheme from Carnmore into Galway city could become a permanent service if there is public demand.

That’s according to the Chief Executive of Galway Chamber of Commerce, Michael Coyle.

The pilot scheme will begin at 7.20 next Monday morning, May 13th.

Motorists will be able to park cars at the airport carpark in Carnmore and avail of a bus transfer to Forster Street in the city.

Buses will depart every 20 minutes at peak times and every 30 minutes at offpeak times throughout the day, at a cost of 2 euro per journey.

Continue Reading

Galway Bay FM News Archives

Tuam awaits UK hay import as overnight rainfall adds to fodder crisis

Published

on

Date Published: 09-May-2013

Tuam is now awaiting a third import of hay from the UK as overnight rainfall has increased pressure on farmers struggling to source fodder.

A total of ten loads are expected at Connacht Gold stores throughout the West with a load expected at the Airglooney outlet this evening or tomorrow.

Farmers throughout the county have been struggling to cope with the animal feed shortage and a below than normal grass growth due to unseasonal weather conditions.

Overnight rainfall in the Galway area has also added to the problem making ground conditions in many areas are quite poor.

Joe Waldron, Agricultual Advisor with Connacht Gold says farmers in short supply can contact the Airglooney outlet on 093 – 24101.

Continue Reading

Galway Bay FM News Archives

Transport Minister urges end to Bus Eireann strike action

Published

on

Date Published: 12-May-2013

The Transport Minister is urging drivers at Bus Éireann to engage in talks with management, in an effort to bring their strike action to an end.

There were no Bus Éireann services operating out of Galway today as a result of nationwide strike action by staff affiliated with the national bus and rail union.

Up to 20 Bus Éireann drivers are continuing to picket outside the bus depot at the docks in the city this evening.

Drivers from other unions have decided not to cross the picket line and go into work today – causing the disruption to be even worse.

Bus drivers are protesting against five million euro worth of cuts to their overtime and premium pay – cuts which Bus Eireann says are vital to ensure the future viability of the company.

The majority of services nationwide are disrupted, and the union say strike action will continue until management are willing to go back into negotiations.

However, it’s not expected to affect school services next week.

Galway bay fm news understands that around 70 percent, or over 100 Galway bus Eireann drivers are affiliated with the NBRU.

 

Continue Reading

Local Ads

Local Ads

Advertisement
Advertisement

Facebook

Advertisement

Trending