Classifieds Advertise Archive Subscriptions Family Announcements Photos Digital Editions/Apps
Connect with us

Archive News

McDonagh’s green flags help Killimordaly make short work of disappointing Meelick/Eyrecourt



Date Published: {J}

Killimordaly 2-14

Meelick/Eyrecourt 1-10


KILLIMORDALY produced a performance of some style and substance to book their place in the county intermediate hurling decider, when dispatching of an out-of-sorts Meelick/Eyrecourt outfit in this disappointing semi-final at Duggan Park, Ballinasloe on Sunday.

Indeed, once Conor McDonagh netted the first of his two goals on 20 minutes – to put the victors into a five-point lead – it was difficult to see a way back for Meelick/Eyrecourt, particularly as they would also have to face the elements in the second period.

As for Killimordaly’s part, they had looked assured in that opening period, playing a brand of hurling that was sharp, concise and easy on the eye. Right throughout the team, there was a swagger and confidence – no more so than in defenders Declan Connolly and Conor Daly, midfielder Eanna Ryan and forwards Andrew Daly and Clement Earls.

After a scrappy start, the game began to come to life when Niall Earls and Eanna Ryan traded scores with Eyrecourt duo Niall Lynch (free) and midfielder Brendan Lucas in the opening seven minutes. At this stage, it looked as if a classic might be in store.

However, in the remainder of the half, Killimordaly outscored their opponents by 1-7 to 0-2, with McDonagh netting that opening goal on 20 minutes. A succinct ball into the inside line by wing-forward Tommy Madden found Clement Earls and while his initial effort was brilliantly saved by Eyrecourt custodian Damien McDermott, the goalkeeper could do little to prevent McDonagh’s follow up.

While, in retrospect, that goal all but killed off the contest – remarkable, at such an early stage – the writing was on the wall for Eyrecourt even earlier when lively half-forward Andrew Daly hit three super points, one after the other, between the ninth and 16th minutes.


Daly’s contribution was, in itself, a statement of intent and with the wily Clement Earls (2) and Ryan (two frees) adding further efforts in the second quarter, it drove Killimordaly into a commanding 1-9 to 0-4 lead by the half-time break.

Of course, Meelick/Eyrecourt’s problem in that half was that not one of their starting forwards was able to find the target from play and this, by and large, was a dilemma that continued to haunt them in the second period. Added to this, they could not make the ball stick to hand, with possession too often cheaply coughed up.

In fairness to Noel Larkin’s outfit, they did attempt to arrest the slide on the restart, with Lynch hitting three efforts from placed balls – the first coming from a 65 after Killimordaly ‘keeper Paul Kilkenny spilled possession and almost gifted the inrushing forwards the present of a goal.

For more, read this week’s Connacht Tribune.

Galway in Days Gone By

The way we were – Protecting archives of our past



A photo of Galway city centre from the county council's archives

People’s living conditions less than 100 years ago were frightening. We have come a long way. We talk about water charges today, but back then the local District Councils were erecting pumps for local communities and the lovely town of Mountbellew, according to Council minutes, had open sewers,” says Galway County Council archivist Patria McWalter.

Patria believes we “need to take pride in our history, and we should take the same pride in our historical records as we do in our built heritage”. When you see the wealth of material in her care, this belief makes sense.

She is in charge of caring for the rich collection of administrative records owned by Galway County Council and says “these records are as much part of our history as the Rock of Cashel is. They document our lives and our ancestors’ lives. And nobody can plan for the future unless you learn from the past, what worked and what didn’t”.

Archivists and librarians are often unfairly regarded as being dry, academic types, but that’s certainly not true of Patria. Her enthusiasm is infectious as she turns the pages of several minute books from Galway’s Rural District Councils, all of them at least 100 years old.

Part of her role involved cataloguing all the records of the Councils – Ballinasloe, Clifden, Galway, Gort, Loughrea, Mountbellew, Portumna and Tuam. These records mostly consisted of minutes of various meetings.

When she was cataloguing them she realised their worth to local historians and researchers, so she decided to compile a guide to their content. The result is For the Record: The Archives of Galway’s Rural District Councils, which will be a valuable asset to anybody with an interest in history.

Many representatives on these Councils were local personalities and several were arrested during the political upheaval of the era, she explains.

And, ushering in a new era in history, women were allowed to sit on these Rural District Councils – at the time they were not allowed to sit on County Councils.

All of this information is included in Patria’s introductory essay to the attractively produced A4 size guide, which gives a glimpse into how these Rural Councils operated and the way political thinking changed in Ireland during a short 26-year period. In the early 1900s, these Councils supported Home Rule, but by 1920, they were calling for full independence and refusing to recognise the British administration.

“I love the tone,” says Patria of the minutes from meetings. “The language was very emotive.”

That was certainly true of the Gort Rural District Council. At a meeting in 1907, following riots in Dublin at the premiere of JM Synge’s play, The Playboy of the Western World the councillors’ response was vehement. They recorded their decision to “protest most emphatically against the libellous comedy, The Playboy of the Western World, that was belched forth during the past week in the Abbey Theatre, Dublin, under the fostering care of Lady Gregory and Mr Yeats. We congratulate the good people of Dublin in howling down the gross buffoonery and immoral suggestions that are scattered throughout this scandalous performance.


For more from the archives see this week’s Tribunes here

Continue Reading

Archive News

Real Galway flavour to intermediate club hurling battle in Birr



Date Published: 23-Jan-2013


Continue Reading

Archive News

Athenry fail to take chances as they bow out of Junior Cup



Date Published: 29-Jan-2013

Athenry FC 1

Kilbarrack United 2

(After extra time)

For the second year in succession Athenry were done in extra time in the FAI Junior Cup as last season’s beaten finalist’s came from behind to snatch an excellent game in Moanbawn on Sunday afternoon.

On a heavy pitch that was only playable following extensive groundwork by club officials all morning, the home side were by far the better side in the opening half, but failed to take advantage of a number of opportunities that came their way.

An Alan O’Donovan penalty gave them a merited advantage just after the restart, but thereafter were on the back foot as Kilbarrack took over, but for all their pressing, the home rearguard were dealing comfortably with their forays.

However they were struck a body blow just six minutes from time, as big striker Keith Kirwan was left all alone at the far post to head the equaliser and from that point on the Dubliners were the better side.

They started off the extra time in the ascendancy and enjoying all the momentum before striking for a good winning goal on 104 minutes. A strong bench allowed them to make some necessary changes and it was not a facility that was available to Athenry manager Gabriel Glavin.

With Gary Forde and Gary Delaney out through suspension following their sending off against OLBC in the previous round, and Seamie Crowe injured, it left their bench rather threadbare with just a number of young squad players available.

Playing with the aid of the slight incline and any wind advantage going, the home side had a Connor Cannon effort on target in the opening minute, while John Meleady was just over with a flick at the other end.

Meleady then tested Andrew Walsh who saved comfortably, before the goalkeeper pulled off a brilliant double save on 14 minutes.

Firstly he went full length to push away a Meleady shot and was then back on his feet to parry David Jackson’s close-range rebound.

For more, read this week’s Connacht Sentinel.

Continue Reading

Local Ads

Local Ads