Classifieds Advertise Archive Subscriptions Family Announcements Photos Digital Editions/Apps
Connect with us

Galway Bay FM News Archives

March 24, 2011

Bernie Ni Fhlatharta

Published

on

Date Published: 23-Mar-2011

1911

Missing juror

At the Spring Assizes, a young man was indicted for wounding another on December 23. The alleged injured party’s evidence was that he had a dispute with the prisoner, and threw a tumbler at him in a public-house in Portumna. Subsequently, outside the door, the accused struck him with something hard on the head. Witness lost his senses and when he recovered them he was at home in his own house. He bled a lot.

In cross-examination, witness denied that he spent this day in public-houses, or that he had to be put out of a public-house for misconducting himself.

At this stage, a curious incident occurred. Shortly after another jury had passed at the rere of the sitting jury, Mr. Cloherty (Clerk of the Crown) called the defence solicitor’s attention to the fact that there was a missing juror, who, it was understood, had gone to the lavatory.

After waiting for a reasonable period of time, his Lordship sent a constable for the missing juror, but on reappearing, he said there was no juror to be found anywhere. The surmise was that he slipped out with the jury which had been discharged a few minutes previously.

The case for the moment accordingly collapsed. The Court adjourned, and, on resuming after lunch, a new jury was sworn.

Poteen raid

District Inspector Woods of Oughterard, with Sergeant Gilleece and a part of constables from Carraroe, paid an unexpected and unwelcome visit to Maumeen, Gorumna Island, in the very early hours of Tuesday morning. They walked gently into two still houses where the machinery in each case was at full work.

Any wet soul would consider it a pity to see the precious liquid after having been duly measured, consigned to mother earth. The men in charge of the operation were away just at the time, but two young fellows who had called to wet their whistles were arrested, but after a few hours detention, were released on bail.

1936

Sewerage plans

Galway Urban Council at a special committee meeting on Monday decided to advertise for a consulting engineer to prepare plans and estimate for a comprehensive sewerage scheme for the city.

New houses

Ballinasloe Urban Council sent a query to the Minister for Local Government and Public Health requesting to be told whether they were in order or entitled to carry out suggestions made by Mr. Wren, and inspector from the Department, who visited Ballinasloe a week ago regarding housing. In view of a sealed order regarding housing, demolition, etc., the Council felt that the Minister’s instructions in writing were necessary.

Mr. Dunne, town surveyor, said the sixty new houses were now ready for letting to tenants. These houses were inspected and were found to be in excellent condition. They were, notwithstanding some comments made, in excellent repair, and five per cent of the contractor’s money was being held for six months, during which time the contractor was bound to make good any defects.

Tuam strike problems

The strike which took place at the Tuam sewerage contract on Monday has not been settled and there are no signs so far of the parties coming together. The position is a complete deadlock. Before the sewerage work was begun by the contractors on Friday last, several efforts had been made to settle the dispute between unemployed members of the local branch, I.T. and G.W.F. and contractors.

The members of the Union refused to work for the wages offered by the contractors, namely 9.5d. an hour. The contractors, however, offered an increase, bringing the wage to £2 1s. 8d. a week, but the unemployed members of the Union, in a show of hands at a special meeting, refused to accept this offer. Their original demand was for £2 10s. a week.

For more, read this week’s Connacht Tribune.

Galway Bay FM News Archives

Galway ‘Park and Ride’ could become permanent

Bernie Ni Fhlatharta

Published

on

Date Published: 07-May-2013

A park ‘n’ ride scheme from Carnmore into Galway city could become a permanent service if there is public demand.

That’s according to the Chief Executive of Galway Chamber of Commerce, Michael Coyle.

The pilot scheme will begin at 7.20 next Monday morning, May 13th.

Motorists will be able to park cars at the airport carpark in Carnmore and avail of a bus transfer to Forster Street in the city.

Buses will depart every 20 minutes at peak times and every 30 minutes at offpeak times throughout the day, at a cost of 2 euro per journey.

Continue Reading

Galway Bay FM News Archives

Tuam awaits UK hay import as overnight rainfall adds to fodder crisis

Bernie Ni Fhlatharta

Published

on

Date Published: 09-May-2013

Tuam is now awaiting a third import of hay from the UK as overnight rainfall has increased pressure on farmers struggling to source fodder.

A total of ten loads are expected at Connacht Gold stores throughout the West with a load expected at the Airglooney outlet this evening or tomorrow.

Farmers throughout the county have been struggling to cope with the animal feed shortage and a below than normal grass growth due to unseasonal weather conditions.

Overnight rainfall in the Galway area has also added to the problem making ground conditions in many areas are quite poor.

Joe Waldron, Agricultual Advisor with Connacht Gold says farmers in short supply can contact the Airglooney outlet on 093 – 24101.

Continue Reading

Galway Bay FM News Archives

Transport Minister urges end to Bus Eireann strike action

Bernie Ni Fhlatharta

Published

on

Date Published: 12-May-2013

The Transport Minister is urging drivers at Bus Éireann to engage in talks with management, in an effort to bring their strike action to an end.

There were no Bus Éireann services operating out of Galway today as a result of nationwide strike action by staff affiliated with the national bus and rail union.

Up to 20 Bus Éireann drivers are continuing to picket outside the bus depot at the docks in the city this evening.

Drivers from other unions have decided not to cross the picket line and go into work today – causing the disruption to be even worse.

Bus drivers are protesting against five million euro worth of cuts to their overtime and premium pay – cuts which Bus Eireann says are vital to ensure the future viability of the company.

The majority of services nationwide are disrupted, and the union say strike action will continue until management are willing to go back into negotiations.

However, it’s not expected to affect school services next week.

Galway bay fm news understands that around 70 percent, or over 100 Galway bus Eireann drivers are affiliated with the NBRU.

 

Continue Reading

Local Ads

Local Ads

Advertisement
Advertisement

Facebook

Advertisement

Trending