Management of Menlo National School offer compromise following protest over class size
Galway Bay fm newsroom – Management at Menlo National School have issued a statement to parents this afternoon following a protest over class sizes.
A large group of parents and their children gathered at Scoil Bhríde this morning to highlight their concerns over the class grouping of fifth and sixth class pupils for the upcoming academic year.
It’s understood this would involve a 41 student class – which parents argue is unacceptable.
Parents have since been advised that while the school cannot provide separate teachers, arrangements will be made to teach the core subjects separately to each class.
The school has also committed to carrying out a health and safety audit as soon as possible.
More at 4
258 people now listed as homeless across Galway
Galway Bay fm newsroom – The number of homeless people in emergency accommodation has increased by almost 24 per cent in a year.
There are now almost 11,800 people homeless, including 258 people in County Galway.
According to the latest figures from the Department of Housing 11,742 people, including 3,373 children, now find themselves homeless.
It’s an increase of almost 24 per cent on the same month for last year.
The data, for the week of February 20th-26th, show there were 8,369 adults in emergency accommodation, an increase of 23 per cent on the figure for February last year.
In Dublin, there are 8,588 people, including 2,576 children, living in homelessness.
Meanwhile this month’s figures, when compared to January, remain relatively unchanged.
Man missing from Loughrea located safe and well
Galway Bay fm newsroom – A man missing from Loughrea since earlier this week has been found safe and well.
25 year old Shane Walsh was last seen in Portumna on Wednesday 29th March, prompting a Garda appeal.
Gardaí have now confirmed he’s been located safe and well.
UHG third most overcrowded hospital nationwide during March
Galway Bay fm newsroom – UHG was the third most overcrowded hospital in the country this month, with more than a thousand patients without a bed.
The INMO says nationally, overcrowding records were broken once again for the month of March.
Almost 13,000 admitted patients were treated on trolleys this month, and over 440 of those were children.
The INMO says this was the worst March since it began counting in 2006, and overcowding levels cannot be allowed continue.
At UHG, 1,048 patients were without a bed, with a further 207 patients at Portiuncula Hospital in Ballinasloe.
The worst figure was recorded at University Hospital Limerick, where more than 2 thousand patients were waiting on trolleys.