Galway Bay fm newsroom – A row over money between two former business partners led to a 36-year-old city man being sentenced to two months in prison for damaging electric gates.
Jonathan King, a father of three from 61 An Sean Bhaile, Doughiska, appeared before Galway Circuit Criminal Court.
He pleaded guilty to damaging the gates at Hazel Lodge, the home of Donal O’Connor in Kilcolgan, on December 5th, 2012.
He also pleaded guilty to driving without insurance on the same date.
At King’s sentence hearing, Detective Gerry Carroll gave evidence that King and a Michael O’Reilly went to Mr O’Connor’s home.
O’Reilly buzzed the intercom at the gates to be let in but was not admitted.
He then scaled the wall and a scuffle broke out between him and O’Connor near the house.
O’Connor got the better of O’Reilly in the scuffle and he escorted O’Reilly out to the gates.
On O’Reilly’s command, King reversed the Mercedes jeep he was driving into the gates, forcing them open.
Both men then drove away and went to a pub in Kilcolgan.
Det Carroll said Judge Mary Fahy already dealt with O’Reilly, who has since served a two-month sentence for his part in the incident.
Senior Counsel Bernard Madden, defending said O’Reilly had been O’Connor’s business partner.
He was owed a significant amount of money and on hearing O’Connor had been declared bankrupt, he became worried about his investment.
Det Carroll said King had 69 previous convictions, mostly for motoring offences, with two for drugs, two for criminal damage and two for theft.
He said King was currently serving a five-month sentence for driving without insurance.
Judge McCabe sentenced King to two months for criminal damage and disqualified him from driving for two years on the insurance charge.
Over 5,600 Covid 19 tests completed in Galway over last week
Galway Bay fm newsroom – Over 5,600 Covid 19 tests were carried out at Galway’s two testing bases in the last week.
The Galway Airport site completed 4,186 tests in the period.
In the city, the Forster Street site carried out an additional 1,442 tests.
Latest figures show 721 Covid 19 cases were recorded in Galway over the last 14 days.
1,432 new cases of COVID-19 nationally; 30 deaths in the past week
Galway Bay fm newsroom – The Health Protection Surveillance Centre has today been notified of 1,432* confirmed cases of COVID-19.
As of 8am today, 272 COVID-19 patients are hospitalised, of which 63 are in ICU.
There has been a total of 5,209 deaths related to COVID-19 notified in Ireland. This includes 30 deaths newly notified in the past week (since last Wednesday).
Dr Tony Holohan, Chief Medical Officer, Department of Health said:
“We have been closely monitoring the incidence of COVID-19 and we are reassured that that the reopening of schools has not led to an increase in transmission of COVID-19 amongst school-going children or more widely across the population. This is good news for students, parents and all those involved in the education of our children. As always, we will keep disease transmission in the population under review, but given the importance of education for our children we feel that now is the right time to evolve our approach to the public health management of COVID-19 in educational settings.
“From Monday 27 September, we will change how we manage COVID-19 in our schools. Contact tracing of close contacts in childcare facilities and primary education and testing of asymptomatic close contacts in childcare facilities and primary education will no longer be necessary.
“Children aged 12 yrs or under, who are identified as close contacts in childcare, educational settings, special education settings or other non-household settings and who are asymptomatic will no longer be required to routinely restrict movements.
“Given the substantially higher risk of transmission in households as compared to any other setting, children aged 12 yrs or under, who are identified as household close contacts, will still be required to restrict movements and be tested, regardless of whether or not they have symptoms.
“Public health advice remains that any person, including children aged 12 yrs or under who displays symptoms consistent with COVID-19 should rapidly self-isolate and not attend school or to socialise until 48 hours after they are symptom free.”
Gardai at scene of public order offence at Tuam Graveyard
Galway Bay fm newsroom – Gardaí are currently at the scene of a public order incident at Tuam Graveyard.
FYI Galway understands the incident, which involves large numbers, broke out after a funeral.
The emergency services are also at the scene, and there are unconfirmed reports of injuries.
The situation is causing long traffic delays in the area.