Galway Bay fm newsroom – A 37-year-old man who broke into his local fast food restaurant in Carraroe and stole €300 has been sentenced to two years in prison with the final year suspended.
Keith Ryan, a native of Ballybane in Galway city who has been living at An Rinn, Carraroe, for the last four years, appears before Galway Circuit Court.
Ryan had denied a charge of burglary which involved the theft of €300 cash and criminal damage to CCTV cameras and two cash registers, at Bia Anois, Bothar Bui, Carraroe, on September 10, 2012, during this trial at Galway Circuit Criminal Court last December.
The jury took just over an hour to convict him and sentencing was adjourned for the preparation of a probation report.
Before passing sentence, Judge Rory McCabe said the report handed into court was very negative and he asked defence barrister, Jennifer Higgins if her client had any intention of ever engaging with the probation service or repaying the €300.
His barrister, Jennifer Higgins spoke to him following Judge McCabe’s observations and then confirmed to the court that he still had no intention of repaying the money or engaging with the service.
Imposing sentence, the judge said it was highly unusual for someone to receive a custodial sentence for a first offence but given the fact that Ryan had not co-operated with the probation service in the interim and had made no effort to repay the €300 to the restaurant’s owners.
Tender issued for feasibility study on Quiet Man Greenway between Athenry and Milltown
Galway County Council has issued a tender for a contractor to carry out a feasibility study on the development of a greenway between Athenry and Milltown.
It follows the allocation of €75 thousand to the local authority in August to carry out a study on the ‘Quiet Man Greenway’.
The proposed amenity would run for 47km, starting in Athenry, running through Ballyglunin and Tuam before finishing in Milltown.
An extensive local campaign has long championed the proposed Greenway, which could also extend beyond the county border to link up with the Sligo Greenway.
Galway East Fine Gael TD Ciaran Cannon says today is an important milestone that could lead to millions of euro being invested in the area – we will have an extended interview on this topic on FYI Galway from 5…
Continued increase in numbers of Covid patients in ICU at UHG
Galway Bay fm newsroom – There’s been a continued increase in the number of Covid-19 patients who are being treated in ICU at University Hospital Galway.
There are now 18 people in intensive care at the city hospital, up from 17 yesterday.
It comes as management at UHG is preparing to enter Level 4 of their ICU escalation plan due to growing demands on the unit.
However, the overall number of patients being treated for the virus has dropped, now standing at 120, compared to 133 yesterday.
Meanwhile, 11 patients are being treated for Covid-19 at Portiuncula Hospital in Ballinasloe, unchanged from yesterday.
Nationally, 1,969 people with Covid-19 are receiving treatment in Irish hospitals today – an increase for the second day in a row.
HSE CEO Paul Reid says the disease will only stop spreading within hospitals once its halted in the community.
To hear more, tune into Galway Bay fm news….
Average age of Covid-19 cases in Galway remains lowest nationwide
Galway Bay fm newsroom – The average age of confirmed cases of Covid-19 in Galway remains the lowest nationwide.
The figure is unchanged from last week at 31 years of age – followed by Sligo at 33, and Kerry at 35.
However, the age profile has increased significantly in recent weeks.
Shortly before Christmas, the average age of confirmed cases in Galway was just 26.
The latest figures show that Galway has an incidence rate of 1,017 per 100 thousand – and recorded 2,624 new cases over the past 14 days.