Classifieds Advertise Archive Subscriptions Family Announcements Photos Digital Editions/Apps
Connect with us

CITY TRIBUNE

Man held broken glass to throat of woman he met online

Published

on

A man held a broken pint glass to the throat of a woman he had recently met through an online dating site and set fire to her sitting room furniture and carpet following an argument at her home.

Michael Cubbard (40), 3 Connolly Terrace, Bohermore, pleaded guilty before Galway Circuit Criminal Court last April to assaulting the woman, causing her harm at her home near Ballinasloe on January 4 last year.

He also pleaded guilty to causing €2,345 worth of criminal damage to the woman’s  furniture, clothing, personal effects and mobile phone on the same date.

Sentence was adjourned so that Gardaí could take a victim impact statement from the woman and for a probation report to be prepared in relation to Cubbard.

Garda Brian Dolly gave evidence at the sentence hearing last week that the woman started a relationship with Cubbard a few weeks before the assault took place after meeting him through an online dating agency.

She made a statement of complaint to Garda Dolly on January 5 last year that she had been assaulted by Cubbard the previous night.

Cubbard had called to her home with a new television to replace the one he had smashed during a previous altercation. The woman let him in and he set up the new television.

They sat watching TV together and after a while the woman questioned Cubbard about texts he was receiving on his phone.

He became angry with her and smashed a pint glass off the coffee table.  He then held her down and held the broken pint glass to her throat.

Garda Dolly said the accused then threw methylated spirits on the couch and carpet while sitting astride the woman.  He ripped his shirt sleeve off and set it alight with a cigarette lighter.  He then threw the sleeves onto the couch and onto the carpet.

He also grabbed the woman’s mobile phone from her and threw it into the open fire and banged her head off the floor while on top of her.

Cubbard left the woman’s home at 2.30am and she contacted Gardaí the following day.

Garda Dolly said the woman did not want to come to court because she did not want to meet the accused.

In her statement, the woman said the assault had changed her life forever and she was now terrified and could not sleep at night in her own home.

“Every door in my house is now locked and I often get up during the night to check the doors are locked,” she said.

She said she could not meet anyone else because of the fear Cubbard instilled in her and because of the constant lies he had told her.

“I have lost all faith and trust in men. My physical injuries have gone but the damage done to my mind will never go away.”

Garda Dolly confirmed Cubbard had one previous conviction for   assaulting another woman, causing her harm, for which he received a ten-month sentence in 1999.

Defence barrister, Conal McCarthy said Cubbard and the woman had a tempestuous relationship.

Cubbard brought €2,345 to court to pay for the damage caused to the woman’s home and wrote her a letter of apology. Garda Dolly said there was considerably more damage caused than what was previously thought.

Mr McCarthy agreed and said his client planned to bring a further   €4,000 to court if given the opportunity to do so.

Judge Rory McCabe said the total lack of self-control and wanton   violence used against a defenceless, vulnerable woman placed the   assault close to the top of the scale of gravity.

The judge said the headline sentence was four and a half years for each offence before aggravating and mitigating factors were considered. However, he adjourned finalisation of sentence to February for the payment of further compensation and for Cubbard to be further assessed by the probation service.

CITY TRIBUNE

City Council’s contempt for the public it serves

Published

on

A City Council picture showing an aerial view of work on the new pedestrian bridge. The local authority has not covered itself in glory when it comes to informing the public about road closures to facilitate the project.

Bradley Bytes – A sort of political column by Dara Bradley

Galway City Council appears to just do what it wants when it wants.

Last Friday, it officially closed a road at Newtownsmyth. It will be closed until October 28.

The closure, which was to commence last Friday, September 23, was to facilitate construction works on the new bridge at Salmon Weir for pedestrians and cycling.

It is essential work and the closure is necessary for health and safety purposes.

The City Council, as is only right and proper, advertised the closure in advance, online and in a free-sheet newspaper. So far, so good.

Except, as anyone who knows Newtownsmyth is aware, that road has been closed for weeks and even months prior to the September 23 official closure start date.

Trying to find the City Council’s closure order, and public notice, for closing the road at Newtownsmyth prior to September 23 has proved as difficult as sourcing the Third secret of Fatima.

Requests to City Hall’s communications department to confirm whether the Council had a legitimate closure order prior to September 23 have not shone any light on the subject.

And so, in the absence of an adequate response, is it reasonable to conclude that the Council did not have permission to close Newtownsmyth prior to September 23?

And if that’s the case, can the Council now just go around closing roads willy-nilly, without notice and without allowing input from residents and users of the road?

Maybe it was a mistake. If it was, why not say so? The Galway public is forgiving. Maybe they had gone through proper procedure, but why not just show us the notice if that’s the case?

For too long now, though, City Councillors have been treated with contempt by the unelected executive at City Hall and the suspicion is this closure without notice was just another manifestation of that contempt spreading to the public too.

For more, read this week’s Galway City Tribune.

Connacht Tribune Digital Edition App

Download the Connacht Tribune Digital Edition App to access to Galway’s best-selling newspaper.

Click HERE to download it for iPhone and iPad from Apple’s App Store, or HERE to get the Android Version from Google Play.

Or purchase the Digital Edition for PC, Mac or Laptop from Pagesuite  HERE.

Get the Connacht Tribune Live app
The Connacht Tribune Live app is the home of everything that is happening in Galway City and county. It’s completely FREE and features all the latest news, sport and information on what’s on in your area. Click HERE to download it for iPhone and iPad from Apple’s App Store, or HERE to get the Android Version from Google Play.

 

 

Continue Reading

CITY TRIBUNE

City sides will fancy chances of advancing as champions face Corofin

Published

on

Bearna's James Kennedy hits the deck in Ballinasloe on Tuesday as Annaghdown's Frankie Burke and Darragh Meehan try to chase down possession. Photo: Joe O'Shaughnessy.

The battle for this year’s county Senior Gaelic football club title looks to be wide open after the quarter-final draw was made this week following the delayed conclusion of the group stages on Tuesday night.

Salthill/Knocknacarra, who finished second in group 2, have been handed a last eight tie with a Tuam Stars side that finished third in group 1; while St Michael’s, who topped Group 3, will face an Annaghdown side that nabbed the final quarter-final spot in dramatic fashion on Tuesday night.

They went into their game with Bearna knowing they needed to win by a minimum of 12points to pip Milltown to the final qualifying spot as the second best of the teams that finished third in the group stages.

They looked to be coming up just short until they were awarded a late free, which goalkeeper James Healy converted, to snatch that remaining quarter-final slot on socring difference form Milltown.

The 2020 champions, Moycullen, will take on Claregalway in the last eight; while the pick of the ties is undoubtedly the clash of defending champions, Mountbellew/Moylough, with a Corofin side that was denied the five-in-a-row by Moycullen two years ago.

At the other end of the equation, St James’ are in a relegation battle, and face a clash with An Spidéal in the preliminary play-offs. A win will secure their senior status for another year, but a defeat will see them join Oughterard, An Cheathru Rua, and the losers of the other preliminary play-off between Caherlistrane and Monivea/Abbey in a round robin league, with the bottom two sides in those play-offs dropping to the intermediate ranks next year.

For more, read this week’s Connacht Tribune.

Connacht Tribune Digital Edition App

Download the Connacht Tribune Digital Edition App to access to Galway’s best-selling newspaper.

Click HERE to download it for iPhone and iPad from Apple’s App Store, or HERE to get the Android Version from Google Play.

Or purchase the Digital Edition for PC, Mac or Laptop from Pagesuite  HERE.

Get the Connacht Tribune Live app
The Connacht Tribune Live app is the home of everything that is happening in Galway City and county. It’s completely FREE and features all the latest news, sport and information on what’s on in your area. Click HERE to download it for iPhone and iPad from Apple’s App Store, or HERE to get the Android Version from Google Play.

 

Continue Reading

CITY TRIBUNE

Play-offs dress rehearsal facing Utd against Treaty

Published

on

Former Galway United player Enda Curran celebrates his recent hat-trick for Treaty United in their FAI Cup quarter-final win over UCD. The in-form Mervue native will be facing the Tribesmen in a First Division clash on Friday.

GALWAY United head to Limerick this Friday evening for what is looking like a dress rehearsal for the end-of-season play-offs as they take on Treaty United in the Markets Field (7.45pm).

This is United’s game-in-hand over league leaders, Cork City, and a win will see them close the gap on the Leesiders to four points with three games remaining, and while a win would give the slightest of hopes of a late challenge for league honours, it is more likely to serve as a further boost to confidence ahead of the protracted play-off series that kicks-off at the end of next month.

United need to win their final four games to have any hope of snatching the title, and given the goal difference between the sides, they also need to hope that City don’t pick up more than four points from their last three games, if they are to finish top of the pile.

United’s last three games after this weekend are at home to Athlone, away to Wexford, and home to Longford Town; while City are home to Wexford, away to Athlone, and home to Bray, the easier of the two run-ins, so for United it is all about building momentum ahead of the play-offs.

For more, read this week’s Connacht Tribune.

Connacht Tribune Digital Edition App

Download the Connacht Tribune Digital Edition App to access to Galway’s best-selling newspaper.

Click HERE to download it for iPhone and iPad from Apple’s App Store, or HERE to get the Android Version from Google Play.

Or purchase the Digital Edition for PC, Mac or Laptop from Pagesuite  HERE.

Get the Connacht Tribune Live app
The Connacht Tribune Live app is the home of everything that is happening in Galway City and county. It’s completely FREE and features all the latest news, sport and information on what’s on in your area. Click HERE to download it for iPhone and iPad from Apple’s App Store, or HERE to get the Android Version from Google Play.

 

Continue Reading

Local Ads

Local Ads

Advertisement
Advertisement

Facebook

Advertisement

Trending