Classifieds Advertise Archive Subscriptions Family Announcements Photos Digital Editions/Apps
Connect with us

CITY TRIBUNE

Man facing three months’ jail for bottom-pinching

Avatar

Published

on

A man has been sentenced to three months in prison for pinching a woman’s bottom.

Judge Mary Fahy warned Francis Ward (19), of no fixed abode, to keep his hands to himself before imposing the sentence at Galway District Court last week.

Ward appeared in custody before the court on foot of a bench warrant which was issued for his arrest before Christmas.

He pleaded guilty to breaching the peace, by engaging in threatening, abusive and insulting words or behaviour at Abbeygate Street on July 30 last, contrary to Section 6 of the Public Order Act 1994.

Ward also pleaded guilty to being drunk in public on the same date and to handling a bottle of alcohol knowing it had been stolen on a separate date last May.

Sergeant Cathal Rodgers, prosecuting, said Garda Colm Harlowe was approached by a woman at Abbeygate Street on July 30 who said the accused had pinched her on the bottom without her permission.

Ward left the area on seeing Garda Harlowe but the Garda caught up with him.  He apologised for his behaviour but was arrested for his own safety due to the level of his intoxication at the time.

The woman didn’t want to make a statement on attend court.

Separately, Ward pleaded guilty to handling €11 worth of alcohol stolen from a supermarket on May 8 last year.

Defence barrister, Garry MacDonald said his client had a serious alcohol addiction and was availing of the winter initiative for homeless people at present.

“You have not addressed the elephant in the room.  He assaulted a female by making contact with her which was uninvited – which was a sexual assault – although he is only charged with a Section 6 Public Order offence,” Judge Mary Fahy said to counsel.

Mr MacDonald said Ward had no recollection and was ‘a bit shocked and upset’ when told what he did.

“He needs to keep his hands to himself,” Judge Mary Fahy warned.

She said the fact Ward couldn’t remember what he did was no excuse and due to the nature of the charge she said she was imposing the maximum of three months in prison.

She imposed a concurrent one-month sentence on him for handling the stolen alcohol and took the intoxication charge into account.

Leave to appeal the sentence was granted on Ward’s own surety of €400 and one independent surety of €600 with half of each amount to be lodged in court. Judge Fahy also directed Ward to sign on every Friday at Galway Garda Station once he lodges the money and is released from custody, pending the appeal hearing.

CITY TRIBUNE

City Council planning €2.5m bailout for Galway 2020

Dara Bradley

Published

on

Galway City Council looks set to bail out Galway 2020 – with an additional grant of €2.5 million to cover the European Capital of Culture programming costs.

The local authority has already allocated €6 million for the project, which officially launches on Saturday, February 8, with an event in South Park, Claddagh.

But city councillors will be asked to approve a further €1.25 million in both 2021 and 2022, at a special meeting next Monday.

The city’s ratepayers may ultimately have to cover the extra costs. A 3% higher commercial rate, introduced in the build-up to this year, and retained in 2020 with agreement of business representatives, may be maintained into 2021 and 2022 if management City Hall has its way.

As well as having to find €2.5 million extra for Galway 2020, Chief Executive of the City Council, Brendan McGrath, will ask councillors to sanction a grant of €80,000 to Druid Theatre for a production it is planning for March of this year, which was not part of the original Galway 2020 programme.
This is a preview only. To read the rest of this article, see this week’s Galway City Tribune. Buy a digital edition of this week’s paper here.

Continue Reading

CITY TRIBUNE

Holders Rangers advance but Mervue Utd crash out

Avatar

Published

on

Geoffrey Power scored twice for Connacht Junior Cup defending champions, Corrib Rangers, in their 4-2 win over MCR of Sligo.  

Soccer Wrap with Mike Rafferty

The returning Geoffrey Power was to the forefront for Corrib Rangers as the Connacht Junior Cup holders got the defence of their title off to a winning start in Drom on Sunday afternoon with a victory over Sligo visitors, MCR.

Salthill Devon, West United, Maree/Oranmore, East United and Hibernians also all advanced with different degrees of comfort, but there was a big shock as Mervue United suffered a three-goal hammering away against Manulla; while Knocknacarra, Renmore and Merlin Woods/Medtronic also all exited the competition in competitive games.

CONNACHT JUNIOR CUP

Corrib Rangers 4

MCR 2

The break-up of Brendan O’Connor’s Connacht Junior Cup winning side happened probably somewhat faster than the manager might have expected, but the return of Geoffrey Power at the weekend was a huge bonus as the striker contributed two goals as well as lifting a side that just seven months ago won the most coveted trophy in the province.

In a game switched to Drom because their own grounds at Westside are closed, the home side made the perfect start when Power got on the end of a long ball from Sean Keogh and drilled low shot into the corner.

However, the advantage was rather short-lived as a Keith Nibbs header levelled matters; before another set piece goal gave Rangers a 2-1 interval advantage as Stephen Gilmore got on the end of a Mark Wynne free kick to head home.

The Sligo visitors were displaying plenty of ability and they levelled matters for the second time when Ciaran Harvey applied the finish on this occasion with another header to tie up matters at 2-2 on the hour mark.

In a contest in which numerous opportunities were created at both ends, it was Rangers who regained the advantage when Paul Smith linked up with Keogh before slotting home to make it 3-2.

Rangers goalkeeper Shane Richardson continued to play his part with some smashing saves, and as the game entered the final minute, it was Power who again applied the finish that sealed the win and will also act as a confidence booster for a side struggling somewhat in the Premier League.

For more, read this week’s Galway City Tribune.

Get the Connacht Tribune Live app
The Connacht Tribune Live app is the home of everything that is happening in Galway City and county. It’s completely FREE and features all the latest news, sport and information on what’s on in your area. Click HERE to download it for iPhone and iPad from Apple’s App Store, or HERE to get the Android Version from Google Play.

 

Continue Reading

CITY TRIBUNE

Sandy Road regeneration heralds new dawn for city

Francis Farragher

Published

on

Shaded in red is the 20-acre Sandy Road site that has now been earmarked for a major urban regeneration programme to provide 1,000 new homes close to the city centre.

THE first steps have been taken this week in what promises to be the biggest ever single urban regeneration project in the city – a potential half-billion-euro development of the 20-acre Sandy Road site.

A design review of the site has begun this week to be conducted by the Royal Institute Architects of Ireland with a brief to set out an outline vision strategy for the provision of 1,000 new homes as well as employment units and leisure facilities.

Property owners on the site earmarked for development include the City Council, the ESB, Galway County Council, the Galway Education and Training Board and the Connacht Tribune-owned Galway Bay FM premises.

The initial stages of the project – being driven by the State funded Land Development Agency (LDA) – will also have a strong ‘green element’ to it in what is being termed a ‘non-car’ development.

Galway City Council Chief Executive, Brendan McGrath, told the Galway City Tribune, that it was a most exciting project for the city given its location within one kilometre of Eyre Square and its ready access to roads and public transport.

He said that the main thrust of the development would be housing-orientated, with a variety of residential units including affordable, social, rental and private sale properties.

“What’s happening this week is the important first step in what can be a very real achievable project for the city in the short- to medium-term period with the first phases coming on stream in the next three to five years,” said Mr McGrath.

The panel of architects [chaired by former senior Bord Pleanála planner, John Martin] will have its review completed by the end of March [this year] with the project in a position to go the detailed design stage some time in 2021, according to Brendan McGrath.

“We would hope that – all things going well – this project would be going on site by the end of 2022, with the first phases to be completed 12 to 18 months later,” Brendan McGrath said.

He stressed, however, that there would be a detailed and lengthy consultation period with all of the property-owners and tenants on the 20-acre site before the project would proceed.

For more, read this week’s Galway City Tribune.

Get the Connacht Tribune Live app
The Connacht Tribune Live app is the home of everything that is happening in Galway City and county. It’s completely FREE and features all the latest news, sport and information on what’s on in your area. Click HERE to download it for iPhone and iPad from Apple’s App Store, or HERE to get the Android Version from Google Play.

Continue Reading

Local Ads

Advertisement

Weather

Weather Icon
Advertisement

Facebook

Advertisement

Trending