Date Published: 23-May-2011
By Bernie Ní Fhlatharta
Local people fear that long term plans to enhance South Park will be put on the long finger now that it has been re-opened to the public.
The park, which was closed five years ago after the discovery of metal contamination in the soil, is now open for business, according to Galway City Council.
But the Claddagh Residents’ Association says it can’t believe the public amenity could be re-opened when no remedial works have been carried out.
Galway City Council confirmed that the decision to re-open the park had been taken following the all clear from the HSE.
Signs had been posted on fencing at the park warning people it was a hazardous area and not to use it, but a Council spokesman said that those signs are now being taken down and that the fencing will eventually be taken down.
The spokesman stressed that the HSE considered the area safe for public use but that the Council was still waiting for a remediation plan from consultants.
Part of South Park was closed off after an NUIG geologist, Dr Chaosheng Zhang, discovered toxic levels of lead, arsenic and zinc just underneath the soil.
The area was cordoned off while further tests were carried out and for public safety was closed so that remedial works could be carried out by the Council. However, no works were ever carried out in South Park in the past five years.
The contamination is believed to have been caused by industrial waste dumped there before the area was developed as a public amenity.
But the Council spokesman said that once the HSE was satisfied that they had started the process of amelioration, the ban could be lifted.
Councillor Catherine Connolly, who is also a local resident, said that her fear now was that once the park was fully opened again, the masterplan would be “put on the long finger”.
“We were aghast to hear the park was re-opened and considered safe again because as far as we know, no work has ever been carried out there.
“Then the top soil approach was looked at but it was decided to put together a masterplan for the whole area and put that on public display before carrying out any works on the toxic parts of the park.
“As this is a flooding area, we had concerns about putting top soil down. I would be very concerned that it has now been put on the long finger,” she added.
Galway ‘Park and Ride’ could become permanent
Date Published: 07-May-2013
A park ‘n’ ride scheme from Carnmore into Galway city could become a permanent service if there is public demand.
That’s according to the Chief Executive of Galway Chamber of Commerce, Michael Coyle.
The pilot scheme will begin at 7.20 next Monday morning, May 13th.
Motorists will be able to park cars at the airport carpark in Carnmore and avail of a bus transfer to Forster Street in the city.
Buses will depart every 20 minutes at peak times and every 30 minutes at offpeak times throughout the day, at a cost of 2 euro per journey.
Tuam awaits UK hay import as overnight rainfall adds to fodder crisis
Date Published: 09-May-2013
Tuam is now awaiting a third import of hay from the UK as overnight rainfall has increased pressure on farmers struggling to source fodder.
A total of ten loads are expected at Connacht Gold stores throughout the West with a load expected at the Airglooney outlet this evening or tomorrow.
Farmers throughout the county have been struggling to cope with the animal feed shortage and a below than normal grass growth due to unseasonal weather conditions.
Overnight rainfall in the Galway area has also added to the problem making ground conditions in many areas are quite poor.
Joe Waldron, Agricultual Advisor with Connacht Gold says farmers in short supply can contact the Airglooney outlet on 093 – 24101.
Transport Minister urges end to Bus Eireann strike action
Date Published: 12-May-2013
The Transport Minister is urging drivers at Bus Éireann to engage in talks with management, in an effort to bring their strike action to an end.
There were no Bus Éireann services operating out of Galway today as a result of nationwide strike action by staff affiliated with the national bus and rail union.
Up to 20 Bus Éireann drivers are continuing to picket outside the bus depot at the docks in the city this evening.
Drivers from other unions have decided not to cross the picket line and go into work today – causing the disruption to be even worse.
Bus drivers are protesting against five million euro worth of cuts to their overtime and premium pay – cuts which Bus Eireann says are vital to ensure the future viability of the company.
The majority of services nationwide are disrupted, and the union say strike action will continue until management are willing to go back into negotiations.
However, it’s not expected to affect school services next week.
Galway bay fm news understands that around 70 percent, or over 100 Galway bus Eireann drivers are affiliated with the NBRU.