Classifieds Advertise Archive Subscriptions Family Announcements Photos Digital Editions/Apps
Connect with us

Breaking News

Local authorities to pay costs in Supreme Court case on city bypass

Published

on

Galway Bay fm newsroom – The City Council, County Council and An Bord Pleanála have have been ordered to pay costs in a Supreme Court case regarding planning permission for the outer city bypass.

Environmental campaigner, Peter Sweetman took the case arguing that the planning was in breach of the Habitats Directive.

The case went to the European Court of Justice, before it was referred back to the Supreme Court here.

An order today has overturned the planning permission for the bypass and costs have been awarded to Peter Sweetman.

It’s expected the bill, which will be shared equally between the two local authorities and An Bord Pleanála, could run into the hundreds of thousands.

The vested interests are already exploring the possibility of progressing the city bypass through the IROPI process.

This is for projects which have an over-riding public interest.

Speaking to Galway Bay fm News this lunchtime, Peter Sweetman says the plan for the outer bypass doesn’t meet IROPI requirements either.

Breaking News

City Council votes to take roads at Doughiska estate in charge

Published

on

Galway Bay fm newsroom – Galway City Council has agreed to take two roads at a Doughiska estate in charge.

Councillors have voted unanimously in favour of taking over the management of the roads at Fionnuisce.

It comes as last year an application calling for the City Council to takeover the roads was made by the Local Authority on behalf of residents from the estate.

The City Council has confirmed that 61% of residents voted in favour of the proposal, while 10 submissions were made on the plan – one by a residents group, one by a local elected representative and eight by local residents – all in favour of the proposal.

With the agreement by Councillors, the Local Authority will now manage almost 400 metres of road space, including open public spaces, within the Fionnuisce estate.

Continue Reading

Breaking News

Non-urgent elective surgeries cancelled at UHG as overcrowding continues

Published

on

Galway Bay fm newsroom – Some non-urgent elective surgeries are being cancelled at UHG in a bid to tackle severe overcrowding at the city hospital.

It follows the issuing of a warning from the Saolta Hospital Group that the emergency department is extremely busy and there is ongoing pressure on bed availability.

General Manager at UHG, Chris Kane, says over 500 people presented at the hospital on Monday and Tuesday.

She says the overcrowding situation is very serious, particularly in relation to the ED, the Surgical Unit and the Acute Medical Assessment Unit.

Members of the public are urged to only attend the hospital in the case of emergency, and contact their GP or out-of-hours service if their health problem is not urgent.

Saolta is also reminding the public that the Injury Unit at Roscommon University Hospital is open from 8am to 8pm, 7 days a week, to treat adults and children over 5.

Speaking to Keith Finnegan on Galway Talks, Chris Kane said the current level of patients presenting is extremely high and “unusual” for this time of year.

She also noted there’s also been a rise in patients being treated for Covid-19, including in the ICU.

To hear more, tune into Galway Bay fm news.

Continue Reading

Breaking News

Walk-in vaccination centres to open at Ballybrit and Clifden this weekend

Published

on

Galway Bay fm newsroom – Walk-in vaccination centres are to be in operation in Ballybrit and Clifden from this weekend.

The HSE has revealed the details of the locations of all the walk-in vaccination centres on their website.

The Clifden satellite vaccination base will be open for walk-ins at Clifden Community School and the Galway Racecourse base will also take walk-ins.

A number will open nationwide this weekend for those over the age of 16.

It comes as 70% of the adult population is now fully vaccinated against Covid 19 and 85 per cent have received their first dose.

Health Minister, Stephen Donnelly, says those attending do not need an appointment.

Continue Reading

Local Ads

Local Ads

Advertisement
Advertisement

Facebook

Advertisement

Trending