Classifieds Advertise Archive Subscriptions Family Announcements Photos Digital Editions/Apps
Connect with us

Connacht Tribune

Leaving Certs have narrow window for exam appeals

Published

on

There will be a very narrow window for students to decide if they want to appeal their Leaving Cert results or their accredited grade, in the first year that students could avail of both systems.

Results are out tomorrow (Friday) online from 10am for around 3,000 Galway students, who will get the first round Central Applications Office (CAO) offers on Tuesday. Schools can arrange for students to call in at a scheduled time to receive their results personally.

Those who opted to sit exams and receive accredited grades will be provided with the better result between the two processes. Over 90 per cent of students chose to sit at least a number of the exams.

The State Examinations Commission (SEC) said tomorrow’s results will not state which form of assessment their result is from.

Next Tuesday from 5pm, students will be provided with detailed information about their examinations and accredited grades, information they will need if considering an appeal under either process.

The accredited grades model is similar to calculated grades from last year in that it is based on a mark from teachers, followed by a standardisation process.

The SEC said the system, developed in consultation with the Educational Testing Service, has been rebuilt since last year, using new computer code, and additional quality assurance checks are in place.

The standardisation process seeks to mitigate against schools applying different standards.

“The standardisation process will not use historical school by school data on past performance in Leaving Certificate exams, but it will use the range of Junior Cycle and Leaving Certificate historical data at a national level to determine the particular distributions of results that are most likely.”

An appeal on an assessed grade will only check if the data was correctly recorded.

Students will get the chance to check their written scripts on Saturday week, September 11, when applications for appeals will open. They close at 12pm the following Monday, September 13.

See full coverage – as well as pages of pix from the first day at school – in this week’s Connacht Tribune on sale in shops now – or you can order the digital edition on www.connachttribune.ie

Connacht Tribune

Boil water notice issued for Barna area

Published

on

A boil water notice has been issued for the Barna area for health protection purposes

The areas affected are Barna Village, Truskey West and Truskey East, Barr Aille, Fermoyle, Ballard and along the Connemara Coast Road as far as Furbo, and on the Barna/Galway Road as far as Silverstrand.

The notice has been put in place due to issues with disinfection of the water at Tonabruckey Reservoir.

The notice affects approximately 2,300 people supplied by the Barna section of the Galway City West Public Water Supply area.

Customers in the area served by Tonabrucky Reservoir will notice increased levels of chlorine in their water supply in the coming days as we work to resolve the issue.

Vulnerable customers who have registered with Irish Water will receive direct communication on this Boil Water Notice.

Irish water, the City Council and the HSE will monitor the supply and will lift the notice when it is safe to do so.

In line with HSE Covid-19 advice and the requirement for frequent hand washing, Irish Water advises that the water remains suitable for this purpose and boiling the water is not required.

Continue Reading

Connacht Tribune

Violent incident in Tuam leaves seven hospitalised

Published

on

Gardaí are investigating after an incident in Tuam yesterday left seven people injured.

A violent altercation broke out between a large group at the cemetery in Tuam at about 4pm yesterday.

Around 30 Gardaí responded to the incident at the cemetery on the Athenry Road in Tuam, which broke out following two funerals in the area.

Gardaí supported by members from the wider North Western Region and the Regional Armed Support Unit had to physically intervene between parties and disperse those present.

Five males and two females were injured during the course of the incident and were taken to University Hospital Galway with non-life threatening injuries.

A 16-year-old boy was arrested at the scene, as he tried to flee in possession of a knife.

He was taken to Tuam Garda Station and has since been released. A file is being prepared for the Juvenile Liaison Officer.

Gardaí are appealing for any witnesses to this incident or for anyone with any information to contact Tuam Garda Station .

Continue Reading

Connacht Tribune

Anger over ANC ‘snip’

Published

on

Agriculture Minister, Charlie McConalogue

ANGRY farmers hit out during last week’s Galway IFA at the Dept. of Agriculture over what they described as their ‘heavy handed tactics’ in docking BEAM penalties from ANC payments made last week.

Although Agriculture Minister, Charlie McConalogue, has apologised for the actions taken by his Department officials, delegates who attended last Thursday’s night county IFA meeting in the Claregalway Hotel, hit out at what happened.

In some cases, according to Galway IFA Chairperson, Anne Mitchell, farmers who had already paid back the BEAM penalty also had the money deducted from their ANC (Areas of Natural Constraint) payments made last week.

Many farmers received ‘a shock in the post’ when their ANC payments were hit with the deductions of penalties from the BEAM scheme – earlier they had been warned of interest penalties if any balances weren’t repaid within 30 days.

At the core of the problem was the inclusion of a 5% stock numbers reduction in the BEAM scheme (Beef Exceptional Aid Measure) aimed at helping to compensate farmers for a drop-off in beef prices between September, 2018 and May, 2019.

For more, read this week’s Connacht Tribune.

Connacht Tribune Digital Edition App

Download the Connacht Tribune Digital Edition App to access to Galway’s best-selling newspaper.

Click HERE to download it for iPhone and iPad from Apple’s App Store, or HERE to get the Android Version from Google Play.

Or purchase the Digital Edition for PC, Mac or Laptop from Pagesuite  HERE.

Get the Connacht Tribune Live app
The Connacht Tribune Live app is the home of everything that is happening in Galway City and county. It’s completely FREE and features all the latest news, sport and information on what’s on in your area. Click HERE to download it for iPhone and iPad from Apple’s App Store, or HERE to get the Android Version from Google Play.

 

 

Continue Reading

Local Ads

Local Ads

Advertisement
Advertisement

Facebook

Advertisement

Trending