Date Published: 30-Jun-2011
UNDER pressure Galway United manager Seán Connor expects that up to three players of the starting xv for tonight’s crunch clash with UCD at Terryland Park (7.45pm) will be playing their last game for the club.
Killybegs man Shaun Kelly or ‘Donegal Shaun’ as he is known, has already departed Galway this week, “by mutual consent”, and is reported to be in contract talks with other Airtricity League clubs – he is the first to go after the club issued a statement last Wednesday saying that all players in paid employment are free to leave in the transfer window due to an issue over unpaid wages.
More will follow him out the gap after tonight, said Connor, as the crisis deepens at Terryland. “I’d expect that one or two and possibly three players will be playing their last game for us. There’s been interest in a few players. It’s disappointing to see players leave but if players’ contracts are broken, if they haven’t been paid, then you can’t blame anyone for leaving. I just hope all the players keep me informed of what they are doing and in fairness they’ve done that,” he said.
United are also dogged with injuries for a match that Connor is targeting as a realistic chance to ‘stop the rot’ and bring to an end a horrible and unprecedented 15 straight defeats.
Defender Shaun Maher remains a doubt due to an ankle injury; Shane Keogh (foot), Joseph Yoffe, Jonathan Keane, and Seán Kelly are all ruled out and Connor said he may have just two or possibly three substitutes on the bench.
“I’m not putting players on the bench just for the sake of it – they have to be able to compete at this level,” he said.
With all the doom and gloom around Terryland, and with the club jumping from one crisis to the next, is it difficult to prepare his players for what is almost a must-win game if United are to have any chance of moving off the bottom of the league table?
For more, read this week’s Galway City Tribune.
Judge adjourns Connemara assault case
Date Published: 08-May-2013
A date will be set next October for the trial of a 52-year old Connemara man, who is charged with assaulting traditional Irish musician Noel Hill five years ago.
Michael Folan from Teach Mór, Lettermullen, is charged with intentionally or recklessly causing serious harm to Noel Hill at Tí Padraig Mairtín Beag in Leitir Mór, on St Stephen’s Day, 2008.
The matter had been listed for trial on several occasions before Galway Circuit Criminal Court in the intervening period.
It was referred to the High Court in Dublin last year for judicial review after Michael Folan said he wanted his trial heard ‘as Gaeilge’and that a bi-lingual jury be made available to hear the case.
At Galway Circuit Criminal Court, Judge Rory McCabe adjourned the case for mention to October when it’s expected a date will be set for trial.
Bank of Ireland Galway Shopping Centre branch to close
Date Published: 10-May-2013
Bank of Ireland’s branch at Galway Shopping Centre on the Headford Road is to close in July.
The branch is to merge into the BOI outlet at Galway Industrial Estate in Mervue.
Galway Bay fm news reports the 14 staff impacted are to be offered redeployment and there will be no job losses.
Galway RNLI rescues three people stranded on Hare Island
Date Published: 13-May-2013
Galway RNLI Lifeboat has come to the rescue of three students who got stranded on Hare Island after getting caught in the tide off Ballyloughan Beach.
The two girls and boy, in their late teens had gone for a walk and were spotted waving from the island by a local resident who contacted the emergency Services and Galway Lifeboat.
Conditions at the time (4pm) were very changeable with heavy showers.
Three members of the Lifeboat shore crew were working in the vicinity of the station at the time and launched the boat in six minutes.
The three students were picked up safely and brought back to the Lifeboat Station at Galway Docks where they were warmed up and given tea and did not require medical attention.