Classifieds Advertise Archive Subscriptions Family Announcements Photos Digital Editions/Apps
Connect with us

Breaking News

Justice Minister orders Garda report into Tuam childrens grave

Published

on

Galway Bay fm newsroom – Minister for Justice, Frances Fitzgerald has ordered a Garda report on the information Gardaí may have about the deaths of hundreds of children at a mother-and-baby home in Tuam.
The announcement follows an online petition with more than 15 thousand signatures from Ireland and abroad calling for such an investigation.
Minister Fitzgerald says the purpose of criminal investigations is to lead to the prosecution of persons where the commission of offences has been established.
She adds that the Justice Department is liasing with Gardaí so that the information can feed into the interdepartmental process.
Children’s Minister Charlie Flanagan is overseeing the interdepartmental investigation into the mass grave and says the results will be available within a month.
Meanwhile, the Justice Minister is being accused of being aware of conditions in Mother and Baby Homes and failing to act.
Adoption Rights Now says Frances Fitzgerald was made aware of a number of issues when she was Minister for Children, but had knowledge of cases since the 1990s.

Breaking News

Tuam Councillor hits out at those behind Tuam violence

Published

on

Galway Bay fm newsroom – A Tuam County Councillor has hit out at those involved in yesterday’s violent incident in Tuam in which seven people were injured at a cemetery in the town.

Armed officers attended the scene at the cemetery on the Athenry road at 4pm, after violence broke out.

A 16-year-old boy was arrested as he tried to flee in possession of a knife.

Five men and two women were taken to University Hospital Galway, with non life-threatening injuries.

Two funerals took place yesterday in the town and local Councillor Donagh Killilea has stated that the violence which broke out that afternoon was not connected to the bereaved families.

It’s believed the incident is related to an ongoing local feud in the town.

Speaking to Keith Finnegan on Galway Talks, Local Councillor Donagh Killilea says he and others are now working to broker a peace deal with those involved as the people of Tuam have had enough of the violence….

Continue Reading

Breaking News

Over 5,600 Covid 19 tests completed in Galway over last week

Published

on

Galway Bay fm newsroom – Over 5,600 Covid 19 tests were carried out at Galway’s two testing bases in the last week.

The Galway Airport site completed 4,186 tests in the period.

In the city, the Forster Street site carried out an additional 1,442 tests.

Latest figures show 721 Covid 19 cases were recorded in Galway over the last 14 days.

Continue Reading

Breaking News

1,432 new cases of COVID-19 nationally; 30 deaths in the past week

Published

on

Galway Bay fm newsroom – The Health Protection Surveillance Centre has today been notified of 1,432* confirmed cases of COVID-19.

As of 8am today, 272 COVID-19 patients are hospitalised, of which 63 are in ICU.

There has been a total of 5,209 deaths related to COVID-19 notified in Ireland. This includes 30 deaths newly notified in the past week (since last Wednesday).

Dr Tony Holohan, Chief Medical Officer, Department of Health said:

“We have been closely monitoring the incidence of COVID-19 and we are reassured that that the reopening of schools has not led to an increase in transmission of COVID-19 amongst school-going children or more widely across the population. This is good news for students, parents and all those involved in the education of our children. As always, we will keep disease transmission in the population under review, but given the importance of education for our children we feel that now is the right time to evolve our approach to the public health management of COVID-19 in educational settings.

“From Monday 27 September, we will change how we manage COVID-19 in our schools. Contact tracing of close contacts in childcare facilities and primary education and testing of asymptomatic close contacts in childcare facilities and primary education will no longer be necessary.

“Children aged 12 yrs or under, who are identified as close contacts in childcare, educational settings, special education settings or other non-household settings and who are asymptomatic will no longer be required to routinely restrict movements.

“Given the substantially higher risk of transmission in households as compared to any other setting, children aged 12 yrs or under, who are identified as household close contacts, will still be required to restrict movements and be tested, regardless of whether or not they have symptoms.

“Public health advice remains that any person, including children aged 12 yrs or under who displays symptoms consistent with COVID-19 should rapidly self-isolate and not attend school or to socialise until 48 hours after they are symptom free.”

Continue Reading

Local Ads

Local Ads

Advertisement
Advertisement

Facebook

Advertisement

Trending