Classifieds Advertise Archive Subscriptions Family Announcements Photos Digital Editions/Apps
Connect with us

Breaking News

Jury acquits city man in trial for false imprisonment and threats to kill

Published

on

Galway Bay fm newsroom – A 48-year-old city man has been acquitted by a jury of charges of imprisoning his former partner and her young child and threatening to kill the woman and a Garda.
The jury of eight women and four men deliberated for two and a half hours following a four-day trial this week before unanimously finding Mervue native, Paul Cullinane, of 34 Beal Srutha, Ballybane, not guilty of six charges at Galway Circuit Criminal Court.
Paul Cullinane had denied the false imprisonment of the woman and her then 9-year-old daughter at a house in Ballybane on December 27, 2012.
He also denied threatening to kill the woman on December 27, 2012 and again on April 17, last year.
Cullinane further denied threatening to kill Garda Marvin Lee during the same alleged incident in April and with assaulting the woman in December.
The woman said she had ended her relationship with the accused in November 2012, but he had no where to go and she agreed to let him stay until he found a place in the New Year.
She told the jury he hit her in the face on December 27 and tried to stab her with a butter knife.
Her daughter was with her at the time.
He then held a mattress down on top of them and she found it difficult to breathe, she said.
The woman said she obtained a barring order but Cullinane came to her home in April.
She called the Gardai and in the presence of Garda Lee, Cullinane rang and threatened to kill her and the Garda.
The now 10-year-old child gave evidence during the trial by video link.
During Garda interview, Cullinane denied the woman’s allegations and said she had used and brain-washed her daughter to give evidence against him.

Breaking News

Boil water notice issued for Barna area

Published

on

Galway Bay fm newsroom – A boil water notice has been issued for the Barna area for health protection purposes

The areas affected are Barna Village, Truskey West and Truskey East, Barr Aille, Fermoyle, Ballard and along the Connemara Coast Road as far as Furbo, and on the Barna/Galway Road as far as Silverstrand.

The notice has been put in place due to issues with disinfection of the water at Tonabruckey Reservoir.

The notice affects approximately 2,300 people supplied by the Barna section of the Galway City West Public Water Supply area.

Customers in the area served by Tonabrucky Reservoir will notice increased levels of chlorine in their water supply in the coming days as we work to resolve the issue.

Vulnerable customers who have registered with Irish Water will receive direct communication on this Boil Water Notice.

Irish water, the City Council and the HSE will monitor the supply and will lift the notice when it is safe to do so.

In line with HSE COVID-19 advice and the requirement for frequent hand washing, Irish Water advises that the water remains suitable for this purpose and boiling the water is not required.

Continue Reading

Breaking News

Man missing from Athenry found safe and well

Published

on

Galway Bay fm newsroom – The man missing from Athenry has been found safe and well

39 year old Nicholas Crouch had been missing since Monday

Gardai have confirmed that he has been found, and is safe and well

Continue Reading

Breaking News

County planners back Renville sports facility after second bid to bring amenity to Oranmore

Published

on

Galway Bay fm newsroom – Permission has been secured to build a major sports facility at Renville West in Oranmore.

The project has received the green light from county planners, after a second bid to bring the amenity to Oranmore, led by Renville Sports Project Committee.

The plan would involve a looped amenity walkway throughout the site and connectivity to the existing amenity walkways at Rinville Park and also a public playground area.

It provides for three grassed playing pitches, one all weather synthetic playing pitch and three warm up or training areas as well as site lighting.

There will also be a covered terrace, a single storey toilet block and a hurling wall.

Under the plan, car parking is provided for up to 234 vehicles as well as six coach spaces and 184 bicycle parking spaces.

There will also be changes to provide vehicular and pedestrian access onto a local road, to the south of the site, to serve the proposed development and to provide for revised access to serve the existing public car parks.

County planners have given the project their backing with 14 conditions attached.

One states the the use of the all weather pitch is not to extend beyond 10pm.

The use of floodlights is restricted to from 9am to 10pm Monday to Saturday, and from 9am to 9pm on Sundays and public holidays.

The Tureen stream is also to be fenced off from the site works.

In June 2020, An Bord Pleanála refused a former application for the development due to concerns over traffic hazard issues.

Continue Reading

Local Ads

Local Ads

Advertisement
Advertisement

Facebook

Advertisement

Trending