Date Published: 23-Jun-2011
THE Galway minor football squad will look to put a disappointing league campaign behind them when they face Sligo in the quarter-final of the Connacht Championship at Markievicz Park this Saturday evening (6pm).
Galway, beaten All-Ireland semi-finalists in 2010, lost to Mayo, Roscommon and Sligo in the league earlier this year and beat just Longford and Leitrim during the spring campaign, although manager Tommie Joyce (Killererin) and his selectors John Concannon (Milltown), Terry O’Regan (St. James’) and Michael Culhane (Clarinbridge) will have their charges primed for this make-or-break clash, their target all year.
Galway have won the previous three championship meetings between the counties at this level – by 0-3 to 0-9 last year, 1-5 to 0-7 in 2009 and 0-11 to 0-9 in 2008 – but the Yeats County got the upper hand over the Tribesmen by the narrowest of margins in this year’s league.
Galway supporters shouldn’t read too much into that defeat, however – at least six of the squad who have been selected for Saturday’s knock-out tie, were absent against Sligo as they were in action for their college, St. Jarlath’s.
No less than six of the starting XV, announced after training on Tuesday, were part of the St. Jarlath’s set up that fell just short of St. Colman’s of Newry in a thrilling Hogan Cup final at Croke Park in April, including Liam Silke, Conor Cunningham, Cathal Mulryan, Patrick Glynn, Shane Walsh and Ian Burke.
The management has also selected three of the survivors of last year’s campaign which ended in a 5-8 to 3-15 defeat to Cork at GAA HQ, including captain and full-back James Shaughnessy (Ballinasloe); and sharpshooters Conor Rabbitte (Kilkerrin/Clonberne) and Shane Maughan (St. Michael’s).
Nearly 20 from the squad have been sitting Leaving Certificate examinations for the past couple of weeks, which hasn’t helped preparations but Joyce is reasonably happy Galway will be ready for battle.
“The exams aren’t over until Thursday and the match is on Saturday but we’ve a lot of training done in the past few months,” he said. “We started trials in January and we gave everybody five or six trials. We kept everybody on board for a long time and had a squad of about 40 up until a few weeks ago. I’d say we should be okay but it’s the first game, it’s knockout, and so you don’t know how it will go, so you’d be nervous enough.
“If we were playing the game at home you’d obviously be more confident but we’d be happy enough with how we’ve prepared. Our forwards are sharp and if they all click on the day they should be hard to keep down. Having said that we’d have a nice balance all over the field. A lot of the Jarlath’s lads and guys from last year would be experienced enough, which should stand to them,” added Joyce.
The winners of this clash face an away match with Leitrim in the semi-final the following weekend and the winners of that take on the victors of Mayo v Roscommon, who square up in Castlebar this Sunday.
Galway: C. Gleeson; L. Silke, James Shaughnessy, C. Cunningham; E. Walsh, G. Canavan, C. Mulryan; S. Geoghegan, S. Moran; P. Glynn, S. Walsh, G. Kelly; C. Rabbitte, I. Burke, S. Maughan. Subs: D. McDonnell, C. Timmon, J. Killeen, C. Bohan, E. Walsh, M. Ó Bearra, A. Nolan, C. Seoige, S. Silke, J. Killeavy, G. Armstrong, S. Hughes, J. Kelleher, C. Lee, C. Flaherty.
Galway ‘Park and Ride’ could become permanent
Date Published: 07-May-2013
A park ‘n’ ride scheme from Carnmore into Galway city could become a permanent service if there is public demand.
That’s according to the Chief Executive of Galway Chamber of Commerce, Michael Coyle.
The pilot scheme will begin at 7.20 next Monday morning, May 13th.
Motorists will be able to park cars at the airport carpark in Carnmore and avail of a bus transfer to Forster Street in the city.
Buses will depart every 20 minutes at peak times and every 30 minutes at offpeak times throughout the day, at a cost of 2 euro per journey.
Tuam awaits UK hay import as overnight rainfall adds to fodder crisis
Date Published: 09-May-2013
Tuam is now awaiting a third import of hay from the UK as overnight rainfall has increased pressure on farmers struggling to source fodder.
A total of ten loads are expected at Connacht Gold stores throughout the West with a load expected at the Airglooney outlet this evening or tomorrow.
Farmers throughout the county have been struggling to cope with the animal feed shortage and a below than normal grass growth due to unseasonal weather conditions.
Overnight rainfall in the Galway area has also added to the problem making ground conditions in many areas are quite poor.
Joe Waldron, Agricultual Advisor with Connacht Gold says farmers in short supply can contact the Airglooney outlet on 093 – 24101.
Transport Minister urges end to Bus Eireann strike action
Date Published: 12-May-2013
The Transport Minister is urging drivers at Bus Éireann to engage in talks with management, in an effort to bring their strike action to an end.
There were no Bus Éireann services operating out of Galway today as a result of nationwide strike action by staff affiliated with the national bus and rail union.
Up to 20 Bus Éireann drivers are continuing to picket outside the bus depot at the docks in the city this evening.
Drivers from other unions have decided not to cross the picket line and go into work today – causing the disruption to be even worse.
Bus drivers are protesting against five million euro worth of cuts to their overtime and premium pay – cuts which Bus Eireann says are vital to ensure the future viability of the company.
The majority of services nationwide are disrupted, and the union say strike action will continue until management are willing to go back into negotiations.
However, it’s not expected to affect school services next week.
Galway bay fm news understands that around 70 percent, or over 100 Galway bus Eireann drivers are affiliated with the NBRU.