Classifieds Advertise Archive Subscriptions Family Announcements Photos Digital Editions/Apps
Connect with us

Galway Bay FM News Archives

It’s the ‘dirty dozen’ for hapless United as bad results continue

Bernie Ni Fhlatharta

Published

on

Date Published: 13-Jun-2011

Galway United 0

Bray Wanderers 3

Keith Kelly

GALWAY United racked up a ‘dirty dozen’ on Friday night as Sean Connor’s side equalled a club record 12 consecutive defeats, and with a trip to defending champions and current league leaders Shamrock Rovers next on the agenda, if there is a light at the tunnel, it is that of a fast-approaching train.

United started fairly well on Friday, but it was false hope as once the visitors got into the game midway through the first half, they completely dominated proceedings and the feeling is Bray boss Pat Devlin was being kind when he said the scoreline was harsh on the hosts, for Greg Fleming had to produce a couple of fine stops to keep some semblance of respectability to the outcome.

United’s wretched current run began the week after Connor gave his side a public lashing for their performance in the 1-1 draw with Drogheda United back in early April, in which he threatened to show players the door in the July transfer window if performances didn’t improve. If he carries out that threat, he’ll be left with just two or three players in a couple of weeks.

There is an understandable lack of confidence in the squad, given the run of results, but that doesn’t excuse a failure in the basics of the game. It is one thing to be outclassed in the skills department, but the least you should expect of your sides is that they can pass, cross, mark and tackle.

Sadly, there has been consistent evidence this season that those basics are beyond this current crop of United players, especially when it comes to marking opponents at set-pieces – two of the three Bray goals came from set-pieces on Friday night as once again defenders failed to stay with their man, or were guilty of ball-watching.

A crowd of 695 on Friday night was a disappointment, but on the other hand, those who continue to turn up every second week deserve enormous credit as United lurch from one shocking collective performance to another.

The lack of communication on the pitch is also unforgiveable – either Connor has failed to address this on the training ground, or else the players are ignoring his instructions, but if he is able to bring in players during the transfer window, he needs to bring in some real leaders and forsake the temptation to bring in more of the players who he has worked with before, as they are clearly not doing the business for United.

For more, read this week’s Connacht Sentinel.

Galway Bay FM News Archives

Judge adjourns Connemara assault case

Bernie Ni Fhlatharta

Published

on

Date Published: 08-May-2013

A date will be set next October for the trial of a 52-year old Connemara man, who is charged with assaulting traditional Irish musician Noel Hill five years ago.

Michael Folan from Teach Mór, Lettermullen, is charged with intentionally or recklessly causing serious harm to Noel Hill at Tí Padraig Mairtín Beag in Leitir Mór, on St Stephen’s Day, 2008.

The matter had been listed for trial on several occasions before Galway Circuit Criminal Court in the intervening period.

It was referred to the High Court in Dublin last year for judicial review after Michael Folan said he wanted his trial heard ‘as Gaeilge’and that a bi-lingual jury be made available to hear the case.

At Galway Circuit Criminal Court, Judge Rory McCabe adjourned the case for mention to October when it’s expected a date will be set for trial.

 

 

 

 

Continue Reading

Galway Bay FM News Archives

Bank of Ireland Galway Shopping Centre branch to close

Bernie Ni Fhlatharta

Published

on

Date Published: 10-May-2013

Bank of Ireland’s branch at Galway Shopping Centre on the Headford Road is to close in July.

The branch is to merge into the BOI outlet at Galway Industrial Estate in Mervue.

Galway Bay fm news reports the 14 staff impacted are to be offered redeployment and there will be no job losses.

Continue Reading

Galway Bay FM News Archives

Galway RNLI rescues three people stranded on Hare Island

Bernie Ni Fhlatharta

Published

on

Date Published: 13-May-2013

Galway RNLI Lifeboat has come to the rescue of three students who got stranded on Hare Island after getting caught in the tide off Ballyloughan Beach.

The two girls and boy, in their late teens had gone for a walk and were spotted waving from the island by a local resident who contacted the emergency Services and Galway Lifeboat.

Conditions at the time (4pm) were very changeable with heavy showers.

Three members of the Lifeboat shore crew were working in the vicinity of the station at the time and launched the boat in six minutes.

The three students were picked up safely and brought back to the Lifeboat Station at Galway Docks where they were warmed up and given tea and did not require medical attention.

 

Continue Reading

Local Ads

Local Ads

Advertisement
Advertisement

Facebook

Advertisement

Trending