Irish Water moves to replace controversial section of watermains in Clifden
Galway Bay fm newsroom – The procurement of a contractor to replace a section of cast iron water mains in Clifden is almost complete.
Residents in the Tullyvogheen and Cúirt Cregg estates have been calling on Irish Water to address ongoing concerns regarding water discolouration and possible contamination.
Last month, the EPA requested a timetable from Irish Water for the replacement of the mains concerned along the Galway road.
In a statement issued to Galway Bay fm news, Irish Water says the procurement of a contractor to replace the section of cast iron is almost complete.
The body is now awaiting the necessary signed documentation and confirmation on the earliest start date.
The EPA had also requested an assessment on any possible risk to public health.
Irish Water says it’s due to receive an update from Galway County Council on the water sampling being undertaken in this area within the next few days.
Water samples were also taken in the area in April.
These showed that the water posed no health risk to householders.
Minister says “no question” Loughrea bus service must be examined
Galway Bay fm newsroom – A Cabinet Minister has accepted there is “no question” that the lack of bus services to Loughrea must be examined.
Minister Darragh O Brien was responding to a question from Galway East Deputy Ciaran Cannon, who said the situation is unacceptable.
He argued it’s just 30 minutes from Galway City and has a population of 6 thousand – but there’s no service after 6.30pm.
Cabinet Minister admits delays to Galway Housing Taskforce report “unusual”
Galway Bay fm newsroom – A Cabinet Minister has admitted that major delays to a report from the Galway Housing Taskforce are “unusual”.
The matter was raised in the Dáil by Galway West TD Catherine Connolly.
She pointed out there’s not been one single report produced since the taskforce was set up by Government in 2019 to analyze the local housing crisis.
Speaking in response, Public Expenditure Minister Paschal Donohue wasn’t aware of the specifics – but admitted it is unusual.
Traffic disruption expected in Doughiska as three-day works get underway
Galway Bay fm newsroom – Traffic disruptions are to be expected in Doughiska and Roscom from this evening as three-day road surfacing works take place.
The works will get underway at 6pm between the Old Dublin Road and the Ros Caoin estate.
A one-way system will be in place, and motorists will only be able to drive southbound, with only emergencies allowed north of Ros Caoin junction.
The works are taking place today Tuesday, tomorrow Wednesday and Thursday between 6pm and midnight.