Galway Bay fm newsroom – Ireland could be facing fines of up to 2 million euro over alleged non-compliance with an EU judgement on Derrybrien wind farm.
The European Commission is taking Ireland back to the EU’s Court of Justice over alleged failures to comply with a previous judgement on the site.
The commission claims an environmental impact assessment was never properly conducted – and is now seeking a lump sum payment of 1.7 million euro.
The European Commission is taking Ireland back to the Court of Justice of the EU for its failure to comply with part of a court judgement on July 3rd, 2008.
It found that Ireland had failed to carry out an environmental impact statement for the 70 turbine wind farm – the largest of its kind in Ireland.
Under EU rules, impact assessments of certain public and private projects on the environment are required before the commencement of construction.
Now, some 13 years since it was built, it’s alleged a sufficient impact assessment has still not been conducted at Derrybrien wind farm.
The European Commission says the scale of the development and its sensitive moorland hilltop location mean its operation continue to have an impact locally.
It further states the site could still benefit from mitigation and remediation measures, but these can be only be identified following an assessment.
The European Commission is now requesting the Court of Justice to impose a minimum lump sum payment of 1.7 million euro.
It’s also proposing a daily penalty payment of over 12 thousand euro – if full compliance is not achieved by the date when the court issues its ruling.
294 new cases of Covid-19 nationwide
Galway Bay fm newsroom – Health officials have confirmed 294 new cases of Covid-19 here.
39 patients are currently in hospital with the virus, down 14 in 24 hours.
It’s the lowest number of Covid patients in hospital since September 1st.
While 13 people are in ICU, unchanged on yesterday.
There are no local figures available due to continuing issues relating to the cyberattack on the HSE.
Online survey launched on future development of Oranmore area
Galway Bay fm newsroom – An online survey has been launched to find out what improvements the public in Oranmore want to see in the village and the surrounding areas.
The document has been commissioned by the MÓR Action group which is looking for people of all ages to have their say on the future development of community spaces.
The local group says once all the responses are gathered they’ll be presented to the County Council and elected representatives.
MÓR Action has confirmed that the survey was developed because the County Council said it was finding it difficult to engage with the community due to the diverse range of groups and interests in Oranmore.
It comes as Oranmore was recently awarded €100,000 in Council funding for public realm enhancements in the village.
A link for the survey is available on MÓR Action’s social media accounts and it will remain open until July 16.
The group’s spokesperson Caroline Rowan says the survey gives locals the chance to have their say on how the public realm funding can be best used in the community.
1,400 fewer people claiming PUP in Galway this week
Galway Bay fm newsroom – Over 1,400 fewer people will claim the Pandemic Unemployment Payment in Galway this week.
13,218 people will receive the payment today – compared to 14,683 this day last week.
It comes as the number of people receiving the Pandemic Unemployment Payment nationwide is at its lowest level since last October.
Just over 244,000 people received the payment today, which is 23,000 fewer than last week.
The payment will close to new applicants at the end of this month.