Classifieds Advertise Archive Subscriptions Family Announcements Photos Digital Editions/Apps
Connect with us

News

Irate customer smashes €6,000 worth of Galway pub’s windows

Published

on

Joe O'Shaughnessy

 

A Galway City pub suffered an estimated €6,000 worth of damage after an irate customer – using empty beer kegs – smashed five large windows on the premises after closing time.

 

One man was responsible for the damage and he is understood to have used empty kegs – left outside for collection – to throw at the windows of Garvey’s Bar in Eyre Square.

The incident occurred between 1am and 2am on Wednesday morning last week.

The Sentinel has learned that the man suspected of being involved in the incident had been drinking in the bar of the premises earlier that night with ‘words being exchanged’ when staff asked him to leave sometime after midnight.

At around 1am, astonished onlookers on the street watched as the man picked up empty barrels and began smashing the large exterior windows of the premises.

At least four windows were smashed in the attack with extensive repair works carried out to them over Thursday and Friday – the total bill for repairs is estimated to be in the region of €6,000, the Sentinel has learned.

A Garda spokesman said that they were investigating the incident and asked for any witnesses in that area in the early hours of Wednesday, April 15 last to contact them at Mill Street Garda Station, Galway, on 091-538000.

Yesterday, the Mayor of Galway, Cllr Padraig Conneely, said that while he didn’t want to comment on this specific case, there was a serious problem in relation to criminal damaged being caused to premises in late night acts of vandalism.

“These are just random acts of wanton vandalism but the end result is that hard pressed businesses have to end up picking up the tabs for this kind of behaviour.

“I really do think that the time has come for a zero tolerance approach to be adopted by the Gardaí – and more particularly the courts – in relation to people smashing windows after late night drinking sessions.”

Read more in today’s Connacht Sentinel

 

 

Connacht Tribune

Patients vent their spleen over ED chaos

Published

on

The new ED at UHG.

Complaints about the Emergency Department of University Hospital Galway (UHG) jumped by 55% last year, the Connacht Tribune has learned.

During 2021, when strict Covid-19 restrictions were in place at UHG, a total of 80 official complaints were lodged about the West’s main public Emergency Department.

But in the following year, official complaints about the Emergency Department at UHG totalled 124.

It represents an increase of 44 complaints, or a year-on-year jump of 55%. It does not include complaints made to frontline staff that were resolved soon after they were made, and only refers to complaints formally assigned to a complaints officer.

A further 13 complaints were lodged but are not included in the total over the two years because the complaints were withdrawn, or consent was not given to progress them.

The increase in complaints to Saolta University Healthcare Group came in 2022, when medical activity returned to pre-pandemic levels, and overcrowding at UHG’s ED dominated the headlines.

Get the full story in this week’s Connacht Tribune, on sale in shops now, or you can download the digital edition from www.connachttribune.ie. You can also download our Connacht Tribune App from Apple’s App Store or get the Android Version from Google Play.

Continue Reading

Connacht Tribune

Connemara pride in teenager just pipped at the post for Eurovision

Published

on

Jennifer Connolly on stage at Eurosong.

Connemara singer Jennifer Connolly was basking in the pride of her community this week – even though she was pipped at the post for the chance to represent Ireland in this year’s Eurovision in Liverpool.

Going by the stage name Connolly, the 19-year-old from Leitir Mealláin was the bookie’s favourite going into the Eurosong contest to pick the Irish contestant on RTE’s Late Late Show.

Her atmospheric number, Midnight Summer Night, scored 32 points, losing out by just two points to the Dublin band Wild Youth’s anthemic We Are One.

She scored highest with the international jury with twelve points, compared to Wild Youth’s ten points – but she lost out by two points from the Irish jury and two points on the public vote.

Wild Youth had the edge in the familiarity stakes, having previously supported Lewis Capaldi, Niall Horan and The Script on tour. Their hit Can’t Move On has been a firm Irish radio hit since its 2018 release.

They certainly appeared very confident onstage last Friday. But few could fault Connolly, who after an initial shaky start blew it out of the park with her strong voice.

This is the first year that the winner was chosen by a combination of an international jury, a national jury and a televote.

Get the full story in this week’s Connacht Tribune, on sale in shops now, or you can download the digital edition from www.connachttribune.ie. You can also download our Connacht Tribune App from Apple’s App Store or get the Android Version from Google Play.

Continue Reading

Connacht Tribune

White House hopeful boasts Galway roots

Published

on

Galway roots...Steve Laffey.

You wait an eternity for one US President with Galway roots to come along – and then a potential second Galwegian in the White House emerges in quick succession!

Because with earlier confirmation of Joe Biden’s roots embedded deep in Ballinacourty, outside Oranmore, now the first official challenger to Donald Trump’s planned renaissance turns out to be a direct descendant of a North Galway native.

And while Steve Laffey, the former Mayor of Cranston, Rhode Island, might not make it to the final shake-up, he has officially declared his intention this week to seek the Republican nomination to run for the White House next year.

Mr Laffey, who lives in Colorado, is the great great grandson of Michael Laffey from Sunhill, Menlough, according to Mountbellew genealogist Martin Curley, who also established President Biden’s Galway credentials – despite the higher-profile claims of Mayo and Louth to his roots.

Mr Laffey served as mayor of Cranston, a city just outside of Providence, Rhode Island, from 2003 to 2007. He also made an unsuccessful bid for Senate in 2006.

Get the full story in this week’s Connacht Tribune, on sale in shops now, or you can download the digital edition from www.connachttribune.ie. You can also download our Connacht Tribune App from Apple’s App Store or get the Android Version from Google Play.

Continue Reading

Local Ads

Local Ads

Advertisement
Advertisement

Facebook

Advertisement

Trending