Classifieds Advertise Archive Subscriptions Family Announcements Photos Digital Editions/Apps
Connect with us

News

Illegal worker only got bed and board, court is told

Avatar

Published

on

A Chinese man has been fined €350 for working illegally in a city shop where he was getting his board and lodgings in lieu of pay.

XI Xui (32), 6 Barr Taoide, Merchant’s Road, and formerly of 152 Laurel Park, Newcastle, pleaded guilty before Galway District Court to working at the XL shop in Dominick Street, without a employment permit.

He pleaded guilty also to failing to produce a valid passport or similar document to immigration officers who inspected the shop on September 14 last.

Garda Damien Gormally gave evidence he executed a bench warrant that morning which had been issued by the court on December 2 last for Xui’s arrest after he failed to appear before the court then to answer the charges.

Garda Gormally said that Garda Tony O’Reilly from the immigration office inspected the store at 1.45p.m on September 14 last and found Xui working.

He demanded to see his passport and his work permit.

Xui admitted he was in this country illegally and he didn’t have any documents.

He had been in the country since 2004 and became the subject of a deportation order last year.

He was in custody for a time last year awaiting deportation but was released after his application for asylum was successful, Garda Gormally explained.

He said Xui had indicated to him that he wanted the services of a interpreter for the court hearing.

Judge Mary Fahy observed a Chinese interpreter had been booked to appear before the court in early December to interpret for the accused.  The taxpayer, she said, had been put to considerable expense to pay for the interpreter on that date and he didn’t even bother to turn up.

“You couldn’t make it up,” Judge Fahy said, after hearing he had been in the country since 2004, and had no language difficulties while working behind the counter in the shop.

Garda Gormally confirmed the accused had two previous convictions for similar offences in 2010.

Defence solicitor, John Martin said Xui had come to Ireland to attend a language school  in 2004, but had to abandon his studies after being stabbed.

He said the man had ongoing medical issues as a result of that attack which required hospital visits.

Mr Martin said his client helped out in the shop from time to time for room and board with no cash.  “He’s of very limited means and his health is not good,” he added.

Judge Fahy noted Xui was awaiting status at the moment, a process which could take some time, she said, before she imposed a €350 on the  first charge, while taking the second, into account.

She also granted him free legal aid after Garda Gormally confirmed he was not in receipt of any social welfare payments.

Connacht Tribune

Two arrested following taxi hijacking in Galway

Avatar

Published

on

Gardaí have arrested two men following the hijacking of a taxi in Co Galway last night.

Shortly before midnight, Gardaí received a report that two men who were passengers in a taxi had attacked the driver and stole his vehicle.

The driver was ejected from the car on the M18 motorway.

Gardaí were alerted and observed the car in Claregalway.

A managed containment operation to ‘block in’ the taxi was put in place with assistance from the armed Regional Support Unit.

The car was brought to a stop on Bothar na dTreabh and two men fled on foot. The two men, one in his mid-20s and the other in his early-30s, were subsequently arrested.

They are currently detained at Garda HQ in Renmore under the provisions of Section 4 of the Criminal Justice Act 1984.

Continue Reading

CITY TRIBUNE

Small shops fight back in store wars

Dara Bradley

Published

on

Caroline McCarthy

A popular city boutique has threatened to re-open in breach of Covid-19 restrictions – to highlight the unfairness of supermarkets selling so-called ‘non-essential’ goods.

The proprietor of Lanidor on Eyre Street said she is ‘taking a stand’, and has urged all retailers to follow suit, unless the authorities crack-down on those bending the rules.

“This stuff about ‘oh we’re all in it together’ is a load of rubbish,” fumed Caroline McCarthy, who said the multiples were ignoring restrictions while independent retailers remain shuttered.

She said all non-essential retail should be open, or none, but the current situation was “discriminatory”.

“I’ve had it at this stage. I’ve lost it. I can’t put up with this anymore. On a point of principle and on a practical level, someone has to do something about it. It’s not that we want to open.

“We have adhered to every single one of the regulations. But we are making a stand now. We will go ahead and open, at a date to be announced, if they are not shut down. And we would call on retailers across the country to do the same,” she said.

Under public health guidelines only ‘essential’ retail outlets are permitted to open. They are not permitted to sell ‘non-essential’ goods during Level 5. This is to stop people congregating and browsing in order to limit the spread of the virus.

But large retailers such as Dunnes Stores and Marks and Spencer stand accused of selling ‘non-essential’ clothing during the pandemic, even though clothes shops should be closed.

Galway Gardaí visited stores last weekend on foot of a complaint.

A spokesperson for M&S said it was following the guidelines but the tills in its Galway store’s clothing section was staffed on Saturday.

For more, read this week’s Connacht Tribune.

Connacht Tribune Digital Edition App

Download the Connacht Tribune Digital Edition App to access to Galway’s best-selling newspaper.

Click HERE to download it for iPhone and iPad from Apple’s App Store, or HERE to get the Android Version from Google Play.

Or purchase the Digital Edition for PC, Mac or Laptop from Pagesuite  HERE.

Get the Connacht Tribune Live app
The Connacht Tribune Live app is the home of everything that is happening in Galway City and county. It’s completely FREE and features all the latest news, sport and information on what’s on in your area. Click HERE to download it for iPhone and iPad from Apple’s App Store, or HERE to get the Android Version from Google Play.

 

 

Continue Reading

CITY TRIBUNE

Vaccine roll-out stalls after advice

Dara Bradley

Published

on

Staff from the Paediatric Department at UHG (from left) Mary Scally, Clinical Nurse Manager 1; Cecily Cassidy, Clinical Nurse Manager 2; and Lisa Porter, Play Specialist with shadowbox theatres and accompanying tote bags which are being shared with children in hospital during April as part of an Arts and Health project for Galway 2020 called A Bird at My Window and Other Stories.

The roll-out of the Covid-19 vaccine programme in Galway has stalled due to updated advice on the AstraZeneca jab.

Operations at the mass vaccination centre at Galway Racecourse in Ballybrit were  suspended Tuesday, for the remainder of this week at least, to allow the HSE to ‘reconfigure’ its roll-out plan following the new guidance.

The European Medical Agency safety committee concluded that unusual blood clots with low blood platelets should be listed as very rare side effects of AstraZeneca.

National Immunisation Advisory Committee (NIAC) then issued revised recommendations for its use, including not administering it to people under 60.

For people who have already received their first dose, NIAC said people aged 60 and older should continue to receive their second dose, as should those under 60 with underlying conditions.

Those under 60 without underlying health conditions – mostly healthcare staff – should have an extended period between the first and second dose, “to allow for further assessment of the benefits and risks as more evidence becomes available”.

Anyone who develops unusual blood clots with low platelets after the first dose should not take the second.

HSE West said vaccination clinics for the over-60s proceeded as planned; it would not say how many people had their vaccination jabs cancelled at Ballybrit.

“Everyone scheduled to get their vaccine at Ballybrit vaccination centre this week has been contacted,” a spokesperson said.

“The HSE is actively looking at the implications of the updated NIAC recommendations for the vaccine roll-out and the implementation of the programme. On receipt of national guidance we will recommence scheduling of vaccines at the Ballybrit vaccination centre.”

For more, read this week’s Connacht Tribune.

Connacht Tribune Digital Edition App

Download the Connacht Tribune Digital Edition App to access to Galway’s best-selling newspaper.

Click HERE to download it for iPhone and iPad from Apple’s App Store, or HERE to get the Android Version from Google Play.

Or purchase the Digital Edition for PC, Mac or Laptop from Pagesuite  HERE.

Get the Connacht Tribune Live app
The Connacht Tribune Live app is the home of everything that is happening in Galway City and county. It’s completely FREE and features all the latest news, sport and information on what’s on in your area. Click HERE to download it for iPhone and iPad from Apple’s App Store, or HERE to get the Android Version from Google Play.

 

Continue Reading

Local Ads

Local Ads

Advertisement
Advertisement

Facebook

Advertisement

Trending