Published:
-
-
Author: Stephen Corrigan
~ 2 minutes read
Plans for a ‘hydrogen valley’ at Galway Port, which were announced with much fanfare in two years ago, have had to be totally reconfigured after a major backer withdrew its support.
However, a meeting of Galway City Council was told this week that EU funding for the project had been secured, and Galway buses, cars – and even flights to the Aran Islands – could soon be hydrogen fuelled.
The Galway Hydrogen Hub was announced by the then-Taoiseach, Micheál Martin, in April 2022, with plans to produce green hydrogen in Galway, using wind energy from Connemara.
City councillors were told at a meeting on Monday that since then, SSE Renewables – the project’s main backer – had withdrawn, forcing its remaining members to “reconfigure”.
Project Coordinator, Rory Monaghan, a Senior Lecturer of Energy Systems Engineering at University of Galway, told the meeting that the university itself had stepped into the breach and was now leading the project.
As a result, the hydrogen would no longer be produced in Galway but instead would be drawn from the midlands, by road, and stored at a site in the Port of Galway for distribution as part of a €54 million plan.
Caption: Galway Docks.
Get the full story in this week’s Connacht Tribune, on sale in shops now, or you can download the digital edition from www.connachttribune.ie. You can also download our Connacht Tribune App from Apple’s App Store or get the Android Version from Google Play.
For more, read this week’s Connacht Tribune:
Connacht Tribune Digital Edition App
Download the Connacht Tribune Digital Edition App to access to Galway’s best-selling newspaper. Click HERE to download it for iPhone and iPad from Apple’s App Store, or HERE to get the Android Version from Google Play.
Or purchase the Digital Edition for PC, Mac or Laptop from Pagesuite HERE.
Get the Connacht Tribune Live app
The Connacht Tribune Live app is the home of everything that is happening in Galway City and county. It’s completely FREE and features all the latest news, sport and information on what’s on in your area. Click HERE to download it for iPhone and iPad from Apple’s App Store, or HERE to get the Android Version from Google Play.
More like this:
Driver hit 206km/h before dumping his car in farmyard
An apprentice electrician caught travelling at lightning speed on the motorway near Ballinasloe a...
Kiltevna native sees her Norwegian-born son set Olympic record on the slopes
The son of a Galway mother – making history this week as just the second man to ever compete in t...
Fine Gael conference hears from people with disabilities on accessibility and inclusion
Fine Gael turned the focus on people with disabilities, advocates and carers when the party held ...
Team reveals latest update on excavation at Tuam Mother and Baby Home
A further 22 sets of infant remains have been discovered as part of the ongoing excavation at the...
Judge ‘horrified’ at man walkingdown street with samurai sword
By Ronan Judge A Judge has said she was "horrified" that a man would walk down a busy street i...
Galway GAA launches Muintir na Gaillimhe 2026 Business Partnership Programme
Galway GAA is tapping into the city and county’s business community in an effort to maximise supp...
Teenager refused bail over string of violent incidents
By Ronan Judge A teenager accused of involvement in a number of violent incidents in Galway Ci...
Film groups ‘must be kept in the picture’ when Pálás reopens
By Avril Horan LOCAL film organisations such as the Galway Film Fleadh, the Galway Film Societ...
Teen drove wrong way around a roundabout
A Ballinasloe teenager who drove the wrong way around a roundabout was fortunate not to have caus...
Sign Up To get Weekly Sports UPDATES