Classifieds Advertise Archive Subscriptions Family Announcements Photos Digital Editions/Apps
Connect with us

Archive News

Hurlers pay a big price for giving Cats second chance



Date Published: 03-Oct-2012


BACK on a late September evening in the Autumn of 2000, a group of us were leaving the Clonliffe College car-park after Galway had drawn the All-Ireland football final against Kerry.

The same day, Galway had staged quite a remarkable comeback and indeed could have won the match with virtually the last kick of the ball.

Most of us were quite chuffed with the spirit and sheer courage of the Galway comeback, and we bumped into the late Jack Mahon, normally a man to have an optimtistic ‘take’ on all things maroon.

We expressed great hope for the replay, but Jack looked at us in the eye, and said that our chance was gone. “Kerry in football, Kilkenny in hurling . . . you just cannot give them a second chance. That’s just the way it is,” he said.

Sure enough when the replay came around, Kerry took the All-Ireland title, and last Sunday as Galway supporters shook their heads as they walked down the North Circular, to a man, woman and child, they all knew, that our chance to recapture Liam McCarthy came on the Sunday of September 9.

There was no loss of honour in this Galway defeat last Sunday. Right to the end they fought with a refreshing spirit and vigour, but the task of facing Kilkenny three times in championship hurling in the one year — without tasting defeat once — was just a bridge too far.

True, the little breaks didn’t go Galway’s way . . . Cyril Donnellan being blown back after rattling the Kilkenny net . . . the same player being reckless rather than malicious when being correctly sent off minutes later . . . and Joe Canning missing the knots on the edge of David Herity’s net by inches in the 47th minute . . . but even the most ardent fan of the maroon, would have to admit, that last Sunday, Kilkenny were a far superior force.

Brian Cody’s braves won their own puck-outs and Galway’s too; they threatened from all six positions in attack and midfield as well; and when they were hit by first half adversity, they shrugged it aside as if it never happened.

No Galway forward struck a point from play until James McGrath’s watch had ticked into the 71st minute, and although Joe Canning produced his usual medley of scores from frees, 65s and a cut, the scoring threat was too easily identifiable for Kilkenny.

David Burke’s two first half goals did provide a significant diversion, but it was to be a brief interlude, although the feeling was there right through the game that Galway seemed as likely to score goals as points. Even after Burke’s first strike, Kilkenny had the ball slotted over the crossbar as Galway fans watched the goal replay on the big screen.

For more, read this week’s Connacht Tribune.

Galway in Days Gone By

The way we were – Protecting archives of our past



A photo of Galway city centre from the county council's archives

People’s living conditions less than 100 years ago were frightening. We have come a long way. We talk about water charges today, but back then the local District Councils were erecting pumps for local communities and the lovely town of Mountbellew, according to Council minutes, had open sewers,” says Galway County Council archivist Patria McWalter.

Patria believes we “need to take pride in our history, and we should take the same pride in our historical records as we do in our built heritage”. When you see the wealth of material in her care, this belief makes sense.

She is in charge of caring for the rich collection of administrative records owned by Galway County Council and says “these records are as much part of our history as the Rock of Cashel is. They document our lives and our ancestors’ lives. And nobody can plan for the future unless you learn from the past, what worked and what didn’t”.

Archivists and librarians are often unfairly regarded as being dry, academic types, but that’s certainly not true of Patria. Her enthusiasm is infectious as she turns the pages of several minute books from Galway’s Rural District Councils, all of them at least 100 years old.

Part of her role involved cataloguing all the records of the Councils – Ballinasloe, Clifden, Galway, Gort, Loughrea, Mountbellew, Portumna and Tuam. These records mostly consisted of minutes of various meetings.

When she was cataloguing them she realised their worth to local historians and researchers, so she decided to compile a guide to their content. The result is For the Record: The Archives of Galway’s Rural District Councils, which will be a valuable asset to anybody with an interest in history.

Many representatives on these Councils were local personalities and several were arrested during the political upheaval of the era, she explains.

And, ushering in a new era in history, women were allowed to sit on these Rural District Councils – at the time they were not allowed to sit on County Councils.

All of this information is included in Patria’s introductory essay to the attractively produced A4 size guide, which gives a glimpse into how these Rural Councils operated and the way political thinking changed in Ireland during a short 26-year period. In the early 1900s, these Councils supported Home Rule, but by 1920, they were calling for full independence and refusing to recognise the British administration.

“I love the tone,” says Patria of the minutes from meetings. “The language was very emotive.”

That was certainly true of the Gort Rural District Council. At a meeting in 1907, following riots in Dublin at the premiere of JM Synge’s play, The Playboy of the Western World the councillors’ response was vehement. They recorded their decision to “protest most emphatically against the libellous comedy, The Playboy of the Western World, that was belched forth during the past week in the Abbey Theatre, Dublin, under the fostering care of Lady Gregory and Mr Yeats. We congratulate the good people of Dublin in howling down the gross buffoonery and immoral suggestions that are scattered throughout this scandalous performance.


For more from the archives see this week’s Tribunes here

Continue Reading

Archive News

Real Galway flavour to intermediate club hurling battle in Birr



Date Published: 23-Jan-2013


Continue Reading

Archive News

Athenry fail to take chances as they bow out of Junior Cup



Date Published: 29-Jan-2013

Athenry FC 1

Kilbarrack United 2

(After extra time)

For the second year in succession Athenry were done in extra time in the FAI Junior Cup as last season’s beaten finalist’s came from behind to snatch an excellent game in Moanbawn on Sunday afternoon.

On a heavy pitch that was only playable following extensive groundwork by club officials all morning, the home side were by far the better side in the opening half, but failed to take advantage of a number of opportunities that came their way.

An Alan O’Donovan penalty gave them a merited advantage just after the restart, but thereafter were on the back foot as Kilbarrack took over, but for all their pressing, the home rearguard were dealing comfortably with their forays.

However they were struck a body blow just six minutes from time, as big striker Keith Kirwan was left all alone at the far post to head the equaliser and from that point on the Dubliners were the better side.

They started off the extra time in the ascendancy and enjoying all the momentum before striking for a good winning goal on 104 minutes. A strong bench allowed them to make some necessary changes and it was not a facility that was available to Athenry manager Gabriel Glavin.

With Gary Forde and Gary Delaney out through suspension following their sending off against OLBC in the previous round, and Seamie Crowe injured, it left their bench rather threadbare with just a number of young squad players available.

Playing with the aid of the slight incline and any wind advantage going, the home side had a Connor Cannon effort on target in the opening minute, while John Meleady was just over with a flick at the other end.

Meleady then tested Andrew Walsh who saved comfortably, before the goalkeeper pulled off a brilliant double save on 14 minutes.

Firstly he went full length to push away a Meleady shot and was then back on his feet to parry David Jackson’s close-range rebound.

For more, read this week’s Connacht Sentinel.

Continue Reading

Local Ads

Local Ads