Classifieds Advertise Archive Subscriptions Family Announcements Photos Digital Editions/Apps
Connect with us

Galway Bay FM News Archives

Hurlers go into hiding

Bernie Ni Fhlatharta

Published

on

Date Published: 20-Jun-2011

Dara Bradley

The Galway senior hurling team management’s and players’ reputations, such as they were, are in tatters this week.

Reputations, already bruised from a desperate showing against Westmeath and indifferent National League displays, were completely shredded by Dublin in Tullamore on Saturday evening.

The Tribesmen’s disgraceful display proved their critics right: ‘that’ Irish Independent article published on the day of the match, in which three former greats, Noel Lane, Brendan Lynskey and Conor Hayes told some unpalatable home truths about the current crop wearing the maroon and white, turned out to be spot on.

Lacking a “mental toughness”, “physical ruthlessness” and “a savage will to win”, railed the old guard in the build-up. And Galway obliged, buckling meekly and cowardly under the pressure of a hungrier Dublin side. “Afraid to catch the ball” in case they’d break a nail or finger? Check. Players with inflated opinions of themselves playing like “a bunch of individuals”? Check. “Capitulate too easily”? Check.

Harsh words from ‘legends’ but fair comment, as the trio adequately summed up what Galway’s performance would be before the ball was even thrown in.

Galway manager John McIntyre, quick to dole out criticism to previous managements and players through his columns and reports in the Connacht Tribune down through the years, could hardly argue when the muck is flying back at his charges. “I appreciate more than anyone that the critics are going to have a field day.

“I heard some of the comments coming off the field, about management and the players being a disgrace to Galway hurling. We have to live with that for the next fortnight,” said McIntyre, who must have sensed the sound of ‘knives sharpening’ and ‘heaves brewing’ in the wake of the 2-7 to 0-19 defeat, one of the worst ‘performances’ from a Galway team in years.

There was never any sense that Galway wanted to reach a Leinster final, or had the wherewithal to get there – the first touch was brutal; as expected they couldn’t compete in the air; they were out muscled in the tight exchanges; and the shooting was awful. It was a mismatch in the hunger department, too.

The game-plan, apparently they had one, was all over the shop – at one stage in the second half when Galway were trailing by six or seven points and Dublin were down to 14 men, there were just two Galway players in Dublin’s half. Why, with an extra man, did Galway play it safe, go defensive, rather than throwing caution to the wind and use the spare man in attack?

For more, read this week’s Connacht Sentinel.

Galway Bay FM News Archives

Judge adjourns Connemara assault case

Bernie Ni Fhlatharta

Published

on

Date Published: 08-May-2013

A date will be set next October for the trial of a 52-year old Connemara man, who is charged with assaulting traditional Irish musician Noel Hill five years ago.

Michael Folan from Teach Mór, Lettermullen, is charged with intentionally or recklessly causing serious harm to Noel Hill at Tí Padraig Mairtín Beag in Leitir Mór, on St Stephen’s Day, 2008.

The matter had been listed for trial on several occasions before Galway Circuit Criminal Court in the intervening period.

It was referred to the High Court in Dublin last year for judicial review after Michael Folan said he wanted his trial heard ‘as Gaeilge’and that a bi-lingual jury be made available to hear the case.

At Galway Circuit Criminal Court, Judge Rory McCabe adjourned the case for mention to October when it’s expected a date will be set for trial.

 

 

 

 

Continue Reading

Galway Bay FM News Archives

Bank of Ireland Galway Shopping Centre branch to close

Bernie Ni Fhlatharta

Published

on

Date Published: 10-May-2013

Bank of Ireland’s branch at Galway Shopping Centre on the Headford Road is to close in July.

The branch is to merge into the BOI outlet at Galway Industrial Estate in Mervue.

Galway Bay fm news reports the 14 staff impacted are to be offered redeployment and there will be no job losses.

Continue Reading

Galway Bay FM News Archives

Galway RNLI rescues three people stranded on Hare Island

Bernie Ni Fhlatharta

Published

on

Date Published: 13-May-2013

Galway RNLI Lifeboat has come to the rescue of three students who got stranded on Hare Island after getting caught in the tide off Ballyloughan Beach.

The two girls and boy, in their late teens had gone for a walk and were spotted waving from the island by a local resident who contacted the emergency Services and Galway Lifeboat.

Conditions at the time (4pm) were very changeable with heavy showers.

Three members of the Lifeboat shore crew were working in the vicinity of the station at the time and launched the boat in six minutes.

The three students were picked up safely and brought back to the Lifeboat Station at Galway Docks where they were warmed up and given tea and did not require medical attention.

 

Continue Reading

Local Ads

Local Ads

Advertisement
Advertisement

Facebook

Advertisement

Trending